PDA

View Full Version : Twin Shock Defender mounts.

strangy
9th October 2011, 06:48 PM
I have been watching Rovercare's 120 build and folowing in particular the air suspension setup.:BigThumb:
There have been a few questions floating around other threads, regarding the front shock mounts which havnt helped me make a clear decision for "the simplest/best" option" for my 130 project.

Terrafirma and a few others make HD lowered and raised Twin shock mounts and it seems that rather than obtain some Rangie EAS shock turrets and weld them to the chassis, it would be a much simpler and easier engineered move to buy and mount the twin shock turret and use the offset position for the shock and leave the main mount free for the airbag fittings etc. (It wont be Comp truck, so I do not envisage needing twin shocks, but it will be expected to go a long way)

So my question for those with twin shockmounts on the front of the Defender:

Are these Twin mounts built strong enough for the main shock to be on the front offset position only or are they built for the second shock to be of "assistance" and not strong enough to handle a shock of the same load/damping capability?

Thanks

djam1
9th October 2011, 07:40 PM
This might help
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/showthread.php?p=1556842#post1556842

justinc
9th October 2011, 07:49 PM
I have been watching Rovercare's 120 build and folowing in particular the air suspension setup.:BigThumb:
There have been a few questions floating around other threads, regarding the front shock mounts which havnt helped me make a clear decision for "the simplest/best" option" for my 130 project.

Terrafirma and a few others make HD lowered and raised Twin shock mounts and it seems that rather than obtain some Rangie EAS shock turrets and weld them to the chassis, it would be a much simpler and easier engineered move to buy and mount the twin shock turret and use the offset position for the shock and leave the main mount free for the airbag fittings etc. (It wont be Comp truck, so I do not envisage needing twin shocks, but it will be expected to go a long way)

So my question for those with twin shockmounts on the front of the Defender:

Are these Twin mounts built strong enough for the main shock to be on the front offset position only or are they built for the second shock to be of "assistance" and not strong enough to handle a shock of the same load/damping capability?

Thanks

They are only as strong as the bolts that hold them to the top of the spring perches. I would replace them with decent high tensile ones and should then be OK.
The RRC EAS shock top brackets are bolted to the steering box bolts on the right rail, the same bolt holes are there on the Left rail you only need to mod the inner guard liner to clear the turrets. no welding req IMO.

JC

strangy
9th October 2011, 08:21 PM
The RRC EAS shock top brackets are bolted to the steering box bolts on the right rail, the same bolt holes are there on the Left rail you only need to mod the inner guard liner to clear the turrets. no welding req IMO.

JC

Ah, this is the info I was missing. So I have choice of Rangie EAS towers from the wrecker (plus some diff housing brackets) which should bolt on or the off the shelf kit.

justinc
9th October 2011, 08:30 PM
Ah, this is the info I was missing. So I have choice of Rangie EAS towers from the wrecker (plus some diff housing brackets) which should bolt on or the off the shelf kit.

Correct, but be prepared to mod the inner guards a fair bit, and the lower brackets on the EAS RRC are actually welded as part of the housing, still they are easy enough to duplicate.

IF I go with front and rear EAS on my 110, this is the way i will go and use this; http://www.driveriteltd.com/cimgs/driveriteHow%20to%20program%20the%20system.pdf as a control system. Airbag man in Qld are going to be selling/ organising this system at some point soon I am hoping.

JC

strangy
10th October 2011, 08:53 AM
Mmm, yes a bit of work on the inner guard for certain.
I like the look of the Intelliride system against the Accuair, I am waiting for a response from both companies to my enquiries re costs etc.
The extra detail about the Intelliride product persuades me their way.

JC What are your reasons for the Intelliride being the choice over others?

cheers

130man
16th March 2012, 08:38 PM
Hi Strangy. Is there any further progress on this set -up? I am exploring air bags for my 130 and would like to know how your project is going. Cheers, 130man.