PDA

View Full Version : D4 TDV6 - Recovery Points

Glyndwr
5th December 2011, 09:29 AM
I have a D4 TDV6 with an ARB fitted bull bar (with Warn winch) and rear wheel carrier and jerry can holder. Are the recovery points on the D4 adequate or should I get modifications before I do my recovery course?

Regards,

Glyn

Tombie
5th December 2011, 10:39 AM
They are fine, and rated:)

Glyndwr
5th December 2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks Tombie.

Tank
5th December 2011, 02:01 PM
I have a D4 TDV6 with an ARB fitted bull bar (with Warn winch) and rear wheel carrier and jerry can holder. Are the recovery points on the D4 adequate or should I get modifications before I do my recovery course?

Regards,

Glyn
If the recovery points on your vehicle require the shackle pin to be in the horizontal axis then they are not fine, the shackle pin axis should be vertical. Shackles are not designed to be used in any other way than pulling straight ahead. If the pin hole in the recovery point is horizontal then any pull off dead straight ahead is going to damage the shackle and may cause it to fail. With the hole in the recovery point vertical the shackle can turn to any angle so that the line of pull is in direct line with the shackle. There are numerous posts in the archives of this (Recovery) forum which would be helpful, Regards Frank.
Go here for info on recovery points. http://www.aulro.com/afvb/recovery/1...10-county.html (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/recovery/120553-advice-needed-making-front-recovery-points-110-county.html)

Glyndwr
5th December 2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks Tank,

From reading the link, and your advice, if the recovery points require the shackle pin to be in the vertical then I am fine. Otherwise I should look for a swivel mount to attach to a reinforced place (e.g., reinforced part of the bull bar at the front and somewhere appropriate at the rear). Will one at each end do or should I have more?

Now all I have to do is find the recovery points. :D

Regards,

Glyn

Tombie
5th December 2011, 03:09 PM
Whilst Tank is right from a rigging perspective...

The stresses on a decent shackle, in a sand recovery are low enough that it shouldnt do much (if anything) to rated shackle and is well below the pins rated load anyhow (The strap will go first)

If the recovery is so strong as to place that much stress on the shackle, then one should consider a different form of recovery.

Just use the points you have - most recovery hooks when bolted onto vehicles are mounted incorrectly too...

You'll be fine...

Tank is looking from the perspective of his Riggers ticket I think :cool:, which almost all 4wd recovery is in breach of!!!!

101RRS
5th December 2011, 03:13 PM
The recovery points are fine as they are - they are large so the shackle can turn a bit so the load pulls through them correctly. On the rear the point is central under the removable cover in the bumper.

Same on the front but under the bumper near the air intake - bolted to the front cross member. The cover might not be there with your bar being installed.

Garry

Glyndwr
5th December 2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks Tombie and garrycol,

I look forward to the pigeons flapping all over the place as from what I read in the other link the vertical positioning is taken very seriously. In any event I will wait until after my recovery course before making any changes.

Regards,

Glyn

101RRS
5th December 2011, 03:34 PM
Might be relevant if the points had a hole just a bit larger than the size of the pin in the shackle preventing the shackle from moving to take the load in a straight pull but with the standard recovery the hole is large enough to allow a fair amount of movement - never measured it and will depend on the size shackle but a pull of up to about 45 degrees from center would be OK.

Garry

Tank
5th December 2011, 06:27 PM
No Tombie, nothing to do with rigging, just commonsense, I have seen a few shackles let go and they left a nice impression on the back of the vehicles. In 40 years of rigging I've never seen a shackle let go, but it seems commonplace in off-road recoveries.
Shackles are designed as a rigging device, not as a link in a slingshot and it is extremely lucky more haven't let go. Oh that's right some have and people have been killed.
One of the latest 4WDAction mag shows a shackle in an ARB recovery hole and the pin is jambed in the hole and the sling has slid around to the side.
Look it's no skin off my nose if you want to use an item that was designed to do a particular rigging job, but for the sake of safety use it as it was designed to be used.
When recovering a vehicle there are so many unknown forces at work (weight, depth of bogged vehicle etc.) so if you want to abuse a piece of rigging gear, make sure there is no one in the danger area, "She'll be right mate" doesn't cut it, Regards Frank.
Will upload a couple of pics of my Son's Stage 1 that was hit by a flying shackle at over 100metres and his car wasn't involved in the debogging.
BTW the dent is from the shackle pin, the body of the shackle went through the back window of the tow vehicle and out through the front windscreen, no one hurt(4.7T SWL rated shackle, brand new).
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2011/12/952.jpg

Tombie
5th December 2011, 06:38 PM
Hi mate...

Not disagreeing with you.
And not a fan of shackled recovery at all.
But a new condition shackle, rated above recovery loads is highly unlikely to break.

I too, have seen what can happen when they let go. Heck, even a kinetic strap dents panels...

But a perfect condition shackle, in a controlled recovery at a moderate angle is not likely to let go.

"Where the Desert meets the Sea"
'Did I mention some great 4WDriving is just 5 minutes from home?'