PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fitted a short bellhousing LT77 to a Rover six cyl?

Lotz-A-Landies
19th December 2011, 10:36 PM
A few people have fitted LT77 to 2 1/4 litre four cyl and 200/300Tdi to four cyl series boxes, but has anyone ever fitted the short bell LT77 to a Rover 2.6 litre six cylinder?

wrinklearthur
19th December 2011, 11:18 PM
Hi Lotz-A-Landies

You will find that the bolt pattern for the 2.6 is different to the petrol and diesel 2.25 and the 2.5 TDi's.

I haven't checked, but I believe that 2.6 is the same pattern as the 3.5 V8.

catch you all in the morning.

123rover50
20th December 2011, 05:41 AM
Hi Lotz-A-Landies

You will find that the bolt pattern for the 2.6 is different to the petrol and diesel 2.25 and the 2.5 TDi's.

I understand the 2.6 bolt pattern is the same as the old 2 litre and 1600.

wrinklearthur
20th December 2011, 07:52 AM
I understand the 2.6 bolt pattern is the same as the old 2 litre and 1600.

That's correct, But the starter motor protrusion is the difference on the early flywheel housings, changed 1954.

The crankshaft hole in the flywheel housing is the difference between the late 2.0 Ltr and the 2.6 Ltr, the 2.6 has a sealing ring ( part number 246169 ) around the crankshaft hole, the bolt pattern is the same however.

My parts manual ( STC 9021CC ) in the gearbox section for the Defender, mentions a six cylinder gearbox, but is not clear which motor, as it may be for the South African BMW six, ( housing clutch FTC 4461 ).

I will watch this thread with some interest as your conversion, is across some of the things that I have been playing with.

bee utey
20th December 2011, 08:07 AM

In Seffrica the P76/Marina 2.6 OHC 6 cylinder was used in Landies in the 70's and is indeed compatible with the 3.5 V8 as it was adapted to the 4.4 V8 pattern for parts commonality.

Lotz-A-Landies
20th December 2011, 08:10 AM
Hi Lotz-A-Landies

.Thanks Arthur

I know about the difference in the bolt pattern, but thought I may be able to reposition either the studs in the flywheel housing or the holes in the bellhousing.

The 3.5 doesn't have a flywheel housing so the bell will be too long for the IOE Rover six.

Diana

wrinklearthur
20th December 2011, 08:14 AM
The 3.5 doesn't have a flywheel housing so the bell will be too long.

Hi Diana

The gearbox mounts for the V8 motor are part of the cylinder block?

Lotz-A-Landies
20th December 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Diana

The gearbox mounts for the V8 motor are part of the cylinder block?

.That's what I was trying to explain, obviously very poorly! :(

The Rover V8s don't have a flywheel housing the gearbox bellhousing bolts directly to the back of the engine block.

The Rover six cylinder 2.6 had an extension housing on the back of the block which covers the flywheel (same as the 2 1/4 litre four cylinder), therefore the gearbox bellhousing needs to be shorter by the thickness of the flywheel housing.

The 200Tdi engine in the Defender has a similar arrangement which allows the engine to fit the Series gearbox.

(Very wordy but should get the message across.)

wrinklearthur
20th December 2011, 10:19 AM
Hi Diana

It was a bit of a stretch, but I managed to grab the message before it got past. :D

There are some offerings on eBee at the moment, that would get you started, short housings and input pinions. you would still need to rework the bolt pattern to suit the 2.6 though.

My problem at the moment is, I need a input pinion for a R380 L suffix box to suit a 300TDi in my '96 Defender.
The box I am about to rebuild was fitted in a TD5 Defender and was pulled because it was noisy.
The bell housing I think I can use, is off an old R380 suffix J, that should fit ok, but which pinion I need is a bit of a guess at the moment.

The part number for the appropriate shaft could be TUD102580, is there anyone about that can help with that information?

Diana, My info doesn't help you much at the moment, apart from building up a picture of the various combinations that have occurred.

Lotz-A-Landies
20th December 2011, 10:58 AM
Apparently (according to Dave Aschroft) I need a LT77 off a 200Tdi or earlier Defender.

Yes I will have to do something about the bolt pattern, but was hoping I could find someone who has done the job before.

The reason I am considering the LT77 is because of the shortness of the LT77 box (crappy as it is) it may turn out cheaper than modifying a Roverdrive.

isuzurover
20th December 2011, 11:20 AM
Apparently (according to Dave Aschroft) I need a LT77 off a 200Tdi or earlier Defender.

Yes I will have to do something about the bolt pattern, but was hoping I could find someone who has done the job before.

The reason I am considering the LT77 is because of the shortness of the LT77 box (crappy as it is) it may turn out cheaper than modifying a Roverdrive.

Diana, you can also convert any R380 to a "stumpy" using a kit from Ashcroft. That will give you the lt77 short bellhousing, but the R380's extra strength.

I have a bellhousing and kit here that I bought from Dave, (still unopened) that I probably won't be using any time soon, if you are interested.