PDA

View Full Version : S2a Landrover service

pakoa11
21st December 2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Guys,

I Just acquired a s2a ex-army land rover. I drove it about 15km to get it home, and it seems in reasonable condition, though i want to do a once over to make sure that all fluids etc are good because i am not 100% sure of maintenance history. Can anyone give me an idea of exactly what i should be replacing/checking/adjusting etc as a preventative measure.

There are a few issue such as the steering which has about a 1/4 turn of play in it before it reacts which resulted in it driving all over the road, but by the looks of it, that is from some play where the arms drops down from the steering box (sorry for lack of technical description)

This is the first time I've done any real work on one so any advice would be much appreciated.

rainman
21st December 2011, 11:47 AM
Hi pakoa11 and welcome.

Check for flex in the firewall. You should be able to stick your head under the bonnet with your left arm reaching around to move the steering wheel back and forth.

James.

Veryan
21st December 2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Guys,

There are a few issue such as the steering which has about a 1/4 turn of play in it before it reacts which resulted in it driving all over the road, but by the looks of it, that is from some play where the arms drops down from the steering box (sorry for lack of technical description)

Check that the splines are not worn on the arm/bolt is tight - you can tell as you will move the wheel, nothing will happen and then it will grab what splines are left and start to turn - twisting at the same time. These are pretty cheep to replace.

I would be checking/servicing (not in any particular order):

Engine Oil - replace and filter
Coolant - Drain, flush and refill
Gearbox/transfer box - drain, check for bits/colour (is is shiny? Silver or bronze? Sludgy? Emulsified[indicates water]? ), replace with fresh EP90.
front and rear diffs - same as above for gearbox.
Swivel housings/pins. Do they have oil in? Or have they been filled with grease? Jack up each wheel in turn (front) and check how worn the swivel pins are by grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel and giving it a wobble. If there is clunking could be swivel pins worn (which in turn will also effect steering). Rotate 1/4 turn and grab front and back and do the same to check for wheel bearing wear.
wheel bearings - jack up each wheel and wobble top and bottom, front and back - or prise of the cap and see how loose the hub nuts are too.
Steering ball joints - are then intact? rubber boots - condition? Id they are worn then they will cause some wander in the steering
Prop shafts - grease those nipples. Check splines for wear, and UJs for movement. Lock in 4x4 and put the had brake on. This will give you an idea of how worn they are.
Brakes - pull the drums off and have a look. check fluid level/condition of flexi hoses to the front wheels.
Fuel filter - replace?

Im sure someone will come along with a few more suggestions and ideas that I have missed.

Lionelgee
29th December 2011, 09:31 AM
Hi Guys,

I Just acquired a s2a ex-army land rover. I drove it about 15km to get it home, and it seems in reasonable condition, though i want to do a once over to make sure that all fluids etc are good because i am not 100% sure of maintenance history. Can anyone give me an idea of exactly what i should be replacing/checking/adjusting etc as a preventative measure.

This is the first time I've done any real work on one so any advice would be much appreciated.

G'day pakoa11,

Welcome - if you have not already done so scroll down through the sections of AULRO until you come across REMLR which is for Register of Ex-Military Land Rovers and then click on REMLR Technical and I am sure your questions will be answered. Also it is a good idea to post photos of your Land Rover as an introduction in the REMLR General section. Have fun with your latest acquisition.

Kind Regards
Lionel

series3
29th December 2011, 11:14 AM
Hi Pakoa,

I'd say it's also worthwhile to rip the feeler gauge out and check the tappets. I would probably also check/replace the points/condenser.

I would be inclined to open up the air filter as well and check the oil's condition, it seems to be something that gets neglected, and could be full of all sorts of awful things.

Cheers,

Sam

JDNSW
29th December 2011, 01:44 PM
One of the first things you need to do is to get hold of an owner's manual, factory workshop manual, and parts books (see under "Rave CD" in "shop" on the top title bar of this page).

Check all the points mentioned above. In addition check all spring bushes for signs of wear - remembering that the bushes must not turn on the bolts. There should be no signs of rust from movement, and no movement when weight is taken off the bush with a lever.

Check the springs for signs of rust between the leaves. If there is any signs of spreading the springs should be removed and stripped, cleaned, painted and greased. If not, the springs should at least be lubricated by taking the weight off (jack chassis and lower axles (wheels off)) and paint the springs with oil (type not critical), if considered desirable thinned with turps or petrol (care!) to improve penetration.

John