PDA

View Full Version : what tyres?

rangietragic
22nd December 2011, 11:13 PM
will need tyres soon,currently running pirelly scorpion zeros,255/60 18s.are these worth getting again or do you know of anything better?have coopers on my defender but they dont make this size.used mostly on road but may do a little light off road and sand work.any ideas appreciated.ps,still cant get that mongrel front pass door open!:mad:

harlie
23rd December 2011, 10:05 AM
will need tyres soon,currently running pirelly scorpion zeros,255/60 18s.are these worth getting again or do you know of anything better?have coopers on my defender but they dont make this size.used mostly on road but may do a little light off road and sand work.any ideas appreciated.ps,still cant get that mongrel front pass door open!:mad:

Mine had Coopers on it when we bought it, worst tyre I have ever had anything to do with...
Now have MICHELIN Latitude Tour HP, our L322 usage is 99% on road, I wanted tyres that stick to it (and quiet), as apposed to slide across it...

Most owners change to 265/60, still legal, fits in the spare hole and there's much more choice.

Have a look at tirerack.com - arrived in 6 days and saved about $120/tyre

Maryborough hey Tragic? Keep an eye out for a silver one over xmas/new year, this time with a Hobie 16 on the towbar...

andrew e
27th December 2011, 08:08 PM
I have Kuhmos in standard size which ride nice, and some Bfg km2s for off road in a larger size.

I have just aquired some 260 60 18 cooper ht tyres I will be trying out, I hear they are alot better on road than the cooper st and stt.

Andy

Homestar
27th December 2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Andy, what size KM2's are you running? Have you had any clearance issues when off road?

Cheers - Gav

harlie
28th December 2011, 06:59 PM
I have Kuhmos in standard size which ride nice, and some Bfg km2s for off road in a larger size.

I have just aquired some 260 60 18 cooper ht tyres I will be trying out, I hear they are alot better on road than the cooper st and stt.

Andy

mine had 265/60 coopers HT. They were horrible, can't imagine ST if they are worse on road... The old HT are in the back yard with about 50% tread, sat a boat on them the other day so we could work on the trailer, about all they are good for....

andrew e
1st January 2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Andy, what size KM2's are you running? Have you had any clearance issues when off road?

Cheers - Gav

285x70x17 (I think, not with them ATM)

Scrape. Yes. I have lipped the guards and given the plastic front a tickle with the heat gun, but they still scrape. I think I need to start cutting the outer panels up with the grinder, as well as a 2 inch spacer on top of the air spring.

Andy

Homestar
1st January 2012, 10:32 PM
285x70x17 (I think, not with them ATM)

Scrape. Yes. I have lipped the guards and given the plastic front a tickle with the heat gun, but they still scrape. I think I need to start cutting the outer panels up with the grinder, as well as a 2 inch spacer on top of the air spring.

Andy

Thanks for that - any chance of a couple of pics when you get a chance?

Cheers - Gav

andrew e
2nd January 2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for that - any chance of a couple of pics when you get a chance?

Cheers - Gav

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

Homestar
3rd January 2012, 01:34 PM
That looks great! Do the tyres stick out from the guards at all - from the looks of the photo, they do. If so, how far, and are you considering fitting any flares to the guards to cover them?

Hoges
3rd January 2012, 02:49 PM

Andy

I'll be interested to hear of your experiences with the Cooper HTs. I've had Cooper Ht (255/65/16) for the last 40 thousand Km. They are about 2/3 worn. I thought they were quite good when I first got them but they soon became very hard...
coopers make a big deal of how hard their side walls are... I agree, they ought to and explain how the said side walls cause even minor road repairs to shake the crap out of the vehicle ... We drove on them up the PRD to CY last year. I ended up dropping the pressures 10-15 psi all around on the corrugated dirt and driving a lot slower in an effort to reduce the noise and vibration. Will be looking for something different shortly... that's compatible with the P38's air suspension characteristics... The Yokahama A/T and the Maxxis(?) gave a much more comfortable ride on other vehicles I drove for a while on the same road ...
cheers

andrew e
4th January 2012, 06:18 AM
That looks great! Do the tyres stick out from the guards at all - from the looks of the photo, they do. If so, how far, and are you considering fitting any flares to the guards to cover them?

That pic was taken with 30mm wheel spacers fitted to clear the callipers on the front. I plan on getting the rims cut and re-offset so I don't need to run spacers, it will end up 20mm inwards from where it is now.

I'm not sure how to finish the outer arch, I don't want it to look crap when I convert back to the standard tyres.

On another note, I fitted the wheel spacers with the standard 18x7.5 rims, boy what a difference. I'll post up some pics soon.

Andy

harlie
10th January 2012, 10:06 AM
Andy's truck looks great, love it!