PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant Wiper Issues

Homestar
23rd December 2011, 03:53 PM
Well, first time I have taken it out in the rain, and I have an issue with the intermittant wipers - not an intermittant problem with my wipers...:p

They work when they are turned to the longest setting, but not when they are turned to a shorter setting. Would the issue be in the switch, or is it hiding deeper somewhere?

Any ideas?

harlie
29th December 2011, 07:47 PM
Do you have automatic wipers? (with the rain sensor behind the center mirror)

Homestar
29th December 2011, 07:52 PM
Hmm - it does have something behind the mirror, but I didn't know what i was for...:p maybe I should read the manual - I didn't even realise that was a feature of the vehicle, I guess you never stop learning.:D

If it is that, then it isn't working as well as it should, or is it adjustable? The glass is well and truly wet before the wipers operate, and I would like them to operate more often.

33chinacars
29th December 2011, 09:39 PM
My automatic wipers work great. Goes from nothing to flat out dependent on how heavy rain is.

Gary

fraser130
30th December 2011, 07:54 AM
Did you have the widscreen replaced recently? I have heard that the rain sensor can be tempermental if not looked after during this....

Fraser

harlie
30th December 2011, 02:07 PM
First thing is to confirm weather they are auto. If they are, the intermittent adjustment is actually the sensitivity for the auto. As Fraser states replacement screens must be treated with caution if the car has auto wipers, the rain sensor MUST be fixed to the screen properly or you may have issues like you describe. The rain sensor works by shining a (infrared?) light into the glass, if the outside is dry, it will reflect back to the sensor, if it is wet it will refraction into the water - if the sensor is not attached to the inside of the glass, most beams will be reflected back off the exposed inner surface.

So find someone who knows what a rain sensor looks like and ask - I'd offer but not really convenient. There will also be a light sensor on the back of the mirror (and 1 on the front) if you have the auto dimming mirrors, which I think will be there if the wipers are auto - they were both part of the "Drivers' Convenience Pack". Previous to 08/2004 the HSE had these goodies as an option, post 08/2004 the car is known as MY05 and the HSE included the convenience bits.

My RR and wifes Golf both have auto wipers, one of the best driver aids - I just wish the RR had auto lights as well...

Homestar
30th December 2011, 02:17 PM
Ok, this is all starting to make sense. The mirror is auto dimming, so I am assuming that it has auto wipers. Fraser - yes, the windscreen was replaced just before I bought it, so that could be it. Is there a calibration or something that needs doing, or is it more likely they stuffed it while replacing the screen?

And just on the screen - it has the electrically heated screen in it - does anybody else think these are a PITA to look through at night? If it ever needs changing again, I will see if I can get a standard one.

Cheers - Gav

harlie
30th December 2011, 03:53 PM
Gav, you can get a standard screen, personally the heated screen doesn't worry me and it's bloody good sometimes, faster to defrost in winter, and up here in QLD it's great when in rains and the humidity is up.

There is no calibration - the sensor MUST be fixed correctly to the back of the glass, unfortunately it's as simple as that.