PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy another L322?

Grover-98
3rd January 2012, 01:56 PM
Howdy current L322 owners,

I have always wanted one of these since they first arrived and i am finally in a financial situation where i am able to search for the perfect L322!

But parting with 30-40K for a second hand car makes me nervous specially considering the most expensive car i ever bought was only 7K before this!

I am very fussy and am after a Black 3.0TD with tan interior of any shade (as there seems to be many shades available)

I just need to know are they truly worth the coin for a 7-10 year old car with often 150-200Ks on the clock?

Ask yourself "would i buy another one if i had the option again"

My heart says YES! but my head is crunching the numbers.

Thanks guys!

danske
3rd January 2012, 02:42 PM
With out doubt I would by another. I have the 4.4V.8 , I would go again. These cars are without doubt the best cars money can buy. For a family long highway trip , they cannot be beaten. Considering they were so much money new , $30-$40K is very reasonble , even if you have to reserve $5k for a major repair down the track , it still is good value.

The question that should be asked is " what else stands up to this cars capability , luxury , prestige , and pure driving enjoyment for $30 - $ 40K " ? :)

Grover-98
3rd January 2012, 03:56 PM
Thank you Danske for your response!

The vehicle certainly ticks all the boxes and the price range is within my budget all be it to the top side of my budget. My other option really is a brand new city car... but it just wouldn't cut it.

I collected a sizable list of problems to look out for of which i will be sure to keep with me when investigating potential purchases (this might seem over the top)...

My biggest issue has been finding ones within a reasonable area to test drive.

James.

JarrahJack
3rd January 2012, 09:29 PM
Think of it as spending 30-$40k on a 160-$225k car, as that is what the new one is and it is the same body.

I would definitely buy one again, have a look at the price of the ugly and thirsty Land Cruiser Sahara, or Lexus LX, they are way more for the same year. I am convinced that the market believes that the L322 should be unreliable and costly by now just like the P38 was/is, but they are largely fine.

Black is a nice colour, when clean, the L322 is an enormous car to clean and reach all over, I am pleased with my silver one.

Jack

TD6

Camo
3rd January 2012, 10:35 PM
I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Had mine for nearly a year now and still love it! Definately worth finding a good TD6. The power, range and economy is fantastic for such a large car.
Took months to find mine... ended up finding a good one in Melbourne and driving it back to the Gold Coast. Was worth the trouble for sure.

Camo

33chinacars
3rd January 2012, 11:30 PM
Would I buy another one HELL YES. Nothing more to say. Had mine 6 months by far the best car I've ever had. Even tho I paid top $ for mine.
Worth every cent.

Gary

MY05 TD6 HSE

andrew e
4th January 2012, 05:26 AM
Yes. Hopefully I will have another one soon too;)

Try and find a td6 HSE with factory satnav though, Rare, but out there. It's not possible to convert a non sat nav without MAJOR work.

Jealous as hell, I always wanted a black one, but a silver one turned up too cheap to pass up.

Andy

Homestar
4th January 2012, 09:46 AM
To add to the chorus of yes votes - YES. Even though we have had issues early on with it, when it is on the road it always brings a smile to my face, and I soon forget about the repairs. There isn't another vehicle in this price range that will come close to these, and despite what some people think of them, I believe them to be - as a whole - a very reliable vehicle. We looked at several new cars in the same price range, but after driving an L322, they all came up short. And, as Jarrahjack mentioned, the new ones are still the same shape, so most people will think you are driving a much newer car - Ours has 09 tail lights and side grills, so from the back or the side, it looks like a 3 year old car! Only the front end gives it away - and most people don't know the differences in them from model to model. When looking for one, just be careful you don't end up with one that was drowned in the floods last year - these were even turning up in Melbourne when I was buying, so do your homework and enjoy.

Grover-98
4th January 2012, 11:04 AM
There is certainly a VERY positive tune coming from all who i have spoken to who own one of these!

The only negative things i have heard is along the lines of: Air Suspension, front diff, gearbox and the pixels in the displays...

But from research the front diff once replaced is no issue, the box if serviced is no issue and the other two things seem to just be a game of chance :)

After spending a great amount of time reading about these and speaking to owners and other wishful buyers like yourselves and others on here... i am off to test drive one for the first time today... it is not what i am looking for but none the less will get the ball rolling. :D

Kind Regards, James.

101RRS
4th January 2012, 11:57 AM
Hi James,

I know you have been thinking about this for a long time. Good on you for getting serious.

I have never actually driven a L322 but I was looking at them as an alternative to my RRS. Like the experience I had with the Sport, patience is the key and not to let emotion override common sense. The car with your name is out there and it will just be a matter of time before you find it. It took me 8 months to find my Sport and in that time there was a nice L322 that I would have bought but a AULRO member in Cairns moved faster than me.

Tips - have your finances/money organised - when you see the car with your name on it move quickly because someone else will also be after that bargain. On that bargain hard but also be prepared to strike the deal and even pay a little extra if it ticks all the boxes.

I know you like black but be sure you are happy to live with it - a difficult colour - my jag is black but when restored will be another colour - however both the Sport and the Fully Fat RR look great in black.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are after.

Cheers

Garry

33chinacars
4th January 2012, 12:00 PM
;)

Try and find a td6 HSE with factory satnav though, Rare, but out there. It's not possible to convert a non sat nav without MAJOR work.

Andy

I have a HSE that missed out on SATNAV. Had a Quote of about $4000 to intergrate factory unit. Major problem first is that car has to be rewired. No wiring from rear of car to head unit. BIG BIG job. Unless SAT NAV is already there not worth the money. A cheap NAVMAN/GARMIN etc will have better maps anyway.

Make sure front has had recall done. Look after the auto but then Gavin could tell you of his tale of woo.

Start driving a few and enjoy . You wont go back to anything else.

Gary

spudboy
4th January 2012, 01:07 PM
Another "Yes" here. Ours is a 2003 HSE TD6.

The only thing I am out-of-pocket for is two new front air struts and they weren't even that expensive to replace (less than $1K).

Diff got done under warranty and it had a new air compressor under warranty. Still drives like a dream and scrubs up really well. For $30-$40K it is luxury motoring at a relatively modest price.

Do you need a 4WD? I just picked up an older S-Class merc for about 10% of its original price which is a cracking luxury vehicle. Same sort of feel as the L322 but fleeter and more chuckable. Insane legroom in the back if you have larger teens to carry around (it's a LWB ). Cheap to insure too.

Cheers
David

jsp
4th January 2012, 03:06 PM
I guess I don't really count as I have only had mine 3 months now.

I bought the first TD6 in the country, its black with jet interior and is a base HSE.

I have to admit its certainly built much better than the P38 and classic, and seems far less "creaky" in terms of interior for a 9 year old car, lots of P38's I have driven have creaky squeaky door cards etc.

So far mine's only cost me the few niggles I knew it had when I bought it, and its not a show pony like most others, but the price was right and the service history was what I wanted.

I guess the thing I learned from looking at them for a while was have your cash ready and be prepared to offer on the spot, when a nice one comes up they don't hang around long, as opposed to some being advertised for months.

I guess the only input I can give is if mine was written off and I got my full insurance payout, I would be putting my classic back into daily driver service and starting the long hunt for a black td6 with jet interior, yes I would buy another one.

rm1991
4th January 2012, 07:28 PM
I'm in pretty much the same situation as Grover, will be seriously looking at getting an L322 in the next couple of months, it's great to hear that current owners would be happy to have another, it gets rather tiring having people tell you to stick to Japanese...

pretty sure i'll be one of the few P platers driving around in one of these trucks... can't wait!

Homestar
4th January 2012, 07:34 PM
I have a HSE that missed out on SATNAV. Had a Quote of about $4000 to intergrate factory unit. Major problem first is that car has to be rewired. No wiring from rear of car to head unit. BIG BIG job. Unless SAT NAV is already there not worth the money. A cheap NAVMAN/GARMIN etc will have better maps anyway.

Make sure front has had recall done. Look after the auto but then Gavin could tell you of his tale of woo.

Start driving a few and enjoy . You wont go back to anything else.

Gary

There are other options for the satnav in these. Powerful UK sells a unit that bolts straight in, and gives you satnav, Iphone & bluetooth functionality, for about $1K. It fits into the dash nicely and looks almost genuine.

I will be getting one for mine when I have saved up a few more pennies. I'll post the results when done.

Cheers - Gav

RangieBit
5th January 2012, 11:28 AM
HI James,

I'd just like to add my "HELL YEAH!" to the general consensus here. Would have another, no question.

I've had mine for a couple of years now and it's had it's fair share of issues but then just about any car of it's age is going to have some. Pixel problems (any L322 that's had more than a little sunlight on the instruments will suffer from this malady and there are a number of options to fix it). Front airbags replaced at 160K due to a slow leak. Everything else has been usual wear and tear.

As a good friend of mine frequently states, they are a mechanical contrivance and things wear out. My L322 is no different than a myriad of vehicles out there and for it's age has far less issues than it's japanese brethren seem to. (No correspondence will be entered into as this is from my own observation and research. Your mileage may vary). If bits are maintained and/or replaced before the problems start then they will go for a very long time.

As Gav states there are other options if your HSE didn't get fitted for SatNav. Mine has a VMS unit fitted to cover ICE/SatNav/Handsfree Phone duties.

The quality of the SatNav on earlier (pre 2006 facelift) vehicles wasn't that flash anyway. If you want a V8 you may find a Vogue with SatNav fitted. If you prefer the diesel the usual trim is HSE and optioned however the original owner desired. I've seen a few better appointed than the original Vogue in my travels.

Hunt around and be prepared to pounce when you find the right one because someone else will usually be waiting in the wings to buy if you don't.

So that's my 2c worth. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Cheers,
Iain

Grover-98
5th January 2012, 04:12 PM
Thank you all very much for the feedback! it is certainly a very encouraging response as i have been hesitant mostly due to the fact it is a large amount of coin to let go of for a second hand vehicle...

I am certainly starting to understand that black may be a very difficult colour to keep clean especially when i have a 3km long DIRT drive way... I am fan of the Grey not so much the silver however...

As for interior after seeing a couple Grey interiors i feel they are a bit bland however the up keep would be far less. I feel the best interior would be black/Grey with a tan piping and door/dash trim.

I have arranged all my finances set myself a budget... and am willing to wait the year out if it takes that long to find the right one as i am in no rush to make a poor decision based to strongly on emotion.

Kind Regards, James.

Grover-98
5th January 2012, 04:13 PM
Oh, and i am also having a skim over the D3s... they seem to be a nice vehicle also! ;)

jsp
5th January 2012, 04:44 PM
I am certainly starting to understand that black may be a very difficult colour to keep clean especially when i have a 3km long DIRT drive way... I am fan of the Grey not so much the silver however...
Your mad getting a dark colour :)

I would have loved the dark red, especially if they ever did one dark enough to match my montpellier P38 and classic, but I only ever found two lighter red petrol ones.

I was quite taken back by the champagne colour, and to be honest I never liked it and then I came across one in person and it took my fancy.

As for interior after seeing a couple Grey interiors i feel they are a bit bland however the up keep would be far less. I feel the best interior would be black/Grey with a tan piping and door/dash trim.

I looked at a few which had the white/camel/nude or what ever its called interior, and there were scuffs and marks all over the place, and I thought there is no way on earth I will keep this thing presentable with me filling it with junk and living in it for a few weeks at a time in the flinders ranges etc so I went for the "bland" but easy to keep jet dark grey interior.

I personally find the D3 is a completely different animal to sit in and drive, it personally wasn't my cup of tea.

33chinacars
5th January 2012, 10:15 PM
Me I had to settle for a grey with grey leather. Hate bland colours. Nothing like what i wanted. Looking at UK you see BRIGHT blues, greens & reds. But none here. In the long run you may have to settle for the " perfect " car just not in the colour of choice.

Gary

ariddell
6th January 2012, 11:22 AM
Yep, I'll add to the YES vote, our 03 4.4 Vogue has been a great car so have not all that long ago bought another one, an 08 supercharged this time.

Have got the 03 up for sale but have been giving serious thought to keeping it and getting rid of one of our other cars instead, although to make this practical we'd probably have to stick it on LPG which is still a pretty expensive proposition for the conversion.

I can see we'll probably be on the lookout for a 2011/12 5.0 Supercharged in 3/4 years or so when the values drop sufficiently. I prefer for someone else to have taken at least the first $100k hit of depreciation first, and the early cars are now an absolute bargain for such an accomplished vehicle that most people can't really tell apart from the current year.

Both of ours are silver, the 03 with navy/cream inside and the 08 with charcoal. I would probably have preferred not to have another silver one just for a bit of variety but buying on condition and history is much more important than colour choice I think unless it's a colour you really can't stand.

harlie
10th January 2012, 08:59 AM
Have to agree with ariddell – buying on condition and history is far more important than colour. When I was looking colour was completely irrelevant, I ended up with silver with black inside – after 2 yrs IMO it’s the easiest combination to keep clean by far. Wifes VW is Black with cream and it’s terrible, shows every spec of dust outside and every scuff, hand print, shoe mark ect inside.

To answer the original Q, I would definitely buy another, don’t be bound by colour and don’t be scared to travel, I drove 1260km (return) to inspect mine, no other option to get there and I’m sure that’s why It hadn’t been snapped up, a gamble that could have seen us come home empty handed, $ and time wasted, but what we found was a fastidious country owner with an immaculate car that wasn’t my first choice in colour! 2yrs on the only other problems I’ve had is the pixels in the MID and the steering wheel tilt.

Factory Satnav was absolute crap, you will find one but don’t bother, there many options available that will upgrade you to latest tech for your ICE. IMHO the “plug and play” options available aren’t very good, cheap Chinese units that don’t fit the L322 (they are for the X5 and don’t marry up to the L322 dash).

Homestar
10th January 2012, 01:01 PM
IMHO the “plug and play” options available aren’t very good, cheap Chinese units that don’t fit the L322 (they are for the X5 and don’t marry up to the L322 dash).

Powerful UK do 2 units - one unit hangs over the dash, and looks like crap, but the do do a smaller version that can be made to fit very well with a bit of modification to the cradle. The how to video he does isn't great, as he modifies the top of the cradle only, and the bottom sticks out a bit, but having looked at the cradle in my car, there is no reason why you couldn't get a better fit if you spent a bit of time on it - not the 30 seconds he did with a grinder...

harlie
10th January 2012, 02:34 PM
IMO both the Dynavin and Hualingan look cheap and half arsed in the L322. Compared to a double din unit from the likes of Pioneer/alpine (whoever) their sound quality and processing speed is not as good. We have a Hualingan in our Golf, They are a cheap unit, but in most installations fit well (the version for the VW looks factory, colours match, fits perfectly, ect)- it was plug and play but the satnav (actually all software) is unsupported and unlicensed (pirated windows CE + iGo or TomTom Nav) and maps quite hard to get - if at all. iGo8 (nav software most came with) will not support new maps now so the nav software must now be updated which to this date has been unsuccessful after quite a few atempts, and it came with old maps to start with. With all the infrastructure building in SEQ it is virtually unusable now less than 3 yrs after it was installed...

Those of us who have purchased a L322 have done so for several reasons – I don’t believe that any of us would be happy with a cheapo unsupported pirated Chinese head unit in our Rangie, in appearance (the light colors are all red to match the X5) or (future) functionality. BTW - I can get one for under $400 depending on exchange on the day, and I still would not do it.

I am going to Fit a double din unit. I know it doesn’t look factory but there are very neat facia panels available that are purpose made for the L322 and actually fit. Exact model not decided on yet, really want digital radio (another item missing on the cheap units) and I’m leaning towards leaving satnav out of the head unit for the reasons experienced with our Golf.

Grover-98
10th January 2012, 06:54 PM
The research continues...

Colour "preference" has certainly changed,

Interior:
I'm more interested in interior with grey/black seats due to the mentioned issues with cleaning... however i would still prefer the dash etc to be of a tan colour.

Exterior:
Black still stands out however the darker greys and Silvers are on my list along with the Midnight Blue... but the whites reds etc really don't intrust me!

Now for a further question...
Diesel or Petrol?

Personally i have always been a fan of Diesels, this Diesel in particular seems to have a fantastic history when it comes to economy, performance and reliability.

However i am questioning the V8 mostly due to the greater spec level of the Vogue and also the greater variety/lower Kilometers for the same/similar price.

Here is a little list of to check items i have made and extras found in the Vogue...

* Items to check

Diff Recalled
Gear-Box Serviced
Transfer Case Serviced
Air Suspension
Alternator/Battery
Steering Wheel motor
Rain Sensor
Ensure all electric systems work
Pixels
Amp/Sub
Locking System

Vogue Extras

12 Speaker Stereo
19" Alloy Wheels
Colour Display Screen – Front
Digital Sound Processing
GPS (Satellite Navigation)
Headlamp Washers
Headlamp Wipers
Headlamps - Bi-Xenon (for low & high beam)
Power Door Mirrors – Folding
Radio Cassette
Rain Sensor (Auto wipers)
Steering Wheel - Heated
Sunroof - Electric

Hit me with your opinion on the motors/specs ;)

Kind Regards, James.

Homestar
10th January 2012, 07:21 PM
The research continues...

Colour "preference" has certainly changed,

Interior:
I'm more interested in interior with grey/black seats due to the mentioned issues with cleaning... however i would still prefer the dash etc to be of a tan colour. My interior is grey, but has the cherry trim, which really sets it off, and breaks up the grey nicely.

Exterior:
Black still stands out however the darker greys and Silvers are on my list along with the Midnight Blue... but the whites reds etc really don't intrust me!
Mine is the very midnight blue - great looking colour, but a ***** to keep clean - if you don't mind washing it all the time, the darker colours are the go IMO

Now for a further question...
Diesel or Petrol?

Personally i have always been a fan of Diesels, this Diesel in particular seems to have a fantastic history when it comes to economy, performance and reliability.

However i am questioning the V8 mostly due to the greater spec level of the Vogue and also the greater variety/lower Kilometers for the same/similar price.
The diesels are very economical for the size of the car, but are a bit noisier on acceleration. The petrols have a bit more power, and they are a bit smoother, but the reason they generally have less KM on them, is they are expensive to run... The diesels have the GM box in them, and the petrols have the ZF box.

Here is a little list of to check items i have made and extras found in the Vogue...

* Items to check

Diff Recalled
Gear-Box Serviced
Transfer Case Serviced
Air Suspension
Alternator/Battery
Steering Wheel motor
Rain Sensor
Ensure all electric systems work
Pixels
Amp/Sub
Locking System

Vogue Extras

12 Speaker Stereo - the 9 speaker unit in my HSE still sounds great
19" Alloy Wheels there are HSE out there with 20's on them if you look (like mine):)
Colour Display Screen – Front The factory sat nav is crap - as Harlie has posted - other options are available that will out perform the factory unit
Digital Sound Processing
GPS (Satellite Navigation) see above
Headlamp Washers
Headlamp Wipers
Headlamps - Bi-Xenon (for low & high beam)
Power Door Mirrors – Folding
Radio Cassette
Rain Sensor (Auto wipers) available on the HSE
Steering Wheel - Heated
Sunroof - Electricavailable on the HSE

Hit me with your opinion on the motors/specs ;)

Kind Regards, James.

A lot of the higher end specs are available on the HSE - there are plenty out there with the 'Convienience' pack, they almost match the Vogue spec, so I wouldn't count an HSE out of the equation.

Homestar
10th January 2012, 07:26 PM
IMO both the Dynavin and Hualingan look cheap and half arsed in the L322. Compared to a double din unit from the likes of Pioneer/alpine (whoever) their sound quality and processing speed is not as good. We have a Hualingan in our Golf, They are a cheap unit, but in most installations fit well (the version for the VW looks factory, colours match, fits perfectly, ect)- it was plug and play but the satnav (actually all software) is unsupported and unlicensed (pirated windows CE + iGo or TomTom Nav) and maps quite hard to get - if at all. iGo8 (nav software most came with) will not support new maps now so the nav software must now be updated which to this date has been unsuccessful after quite a few atempts, and it came with old maps to start with. With all the infrastructure building in SEQ it is virtually unusable now less than 3 yrs after it was installed...

Those of us who have purchased a L322 have done so for several reasons – I don’t believe that any of us would be happy with a cheapo unsupported pirated Chinese head unit in our Rangie, in appearance (the light colors are all red to match the X5) or (future) functionality. BTW - I can get one for under $400 depending on exchange on the day, and I still would not do it.

I am going to Fit a double din unit. I know it doesn’t look factory but there are very neat facia panels available that are purpose made for the L322 and actually fit. Exact model not decided on yet, really want digital radio (another item missing on the cheap units) and I’m leaning towards leaving satnav out of the head unit for the reasons experienced with our Golf.

You make some good points Harlie, do you know if the better double DIN units will intergrate into the CAN bus for the steering wheel controls? Also, do you know who might sell a facia to make the instal look more factory looking?

Cheers - Gav

Grover-98
10th January 2012, 07:44 PM
Is the GM gearbox the more reliable option?

I have noticed many HSE variants have some of the higher spec options of the Vogue... some of the ones which are not included such as heated seats etc... don't really worry me... i see them more of a "oh and it has this" whilst talking about the car rather then a "My rear end is cold ill put on the heated seats"... I may be wrong.

Hmmm... Maybe a nicely Speced HSE is the go...

Kind Regards, James.

Homestar
10th January 2012, 08:54 PM
Is the GM gearbox the more reliable option?

Ummm - No. The ZF box has its faults too, but not anywhere close to the GM box. Do a search, or just look at a few threads in the L322 section, and you will see that the trannies on the diesels can be an issue.

Putting my own horror storey aside, the problems in these boxes stem from them being under speced to the torque that the diesel is capable of. That, and that LR advertised these transmissions as 'sealed for life' meant that not many people bothered to get them serviced.

They seem to fail at about 150,000KM or so, give or take and cost big $$$ to fix. Having said that, there are many out there that are going fine, and have given no problems - as they say, you only hear about the bad ones, but do your homework on these - see if the box has been rebuilt or changed at some stage - if it hasn't, and has big KM on it, you may want to haggle the price down a bit - try $5K - that's what it will cost you if it goes bang...

Don't let that put you off though, they are a great vehicle, and my jaded opinion on the transmissions shouldn't be taken as gospel...:)

Cheers - Gav

Grover-98
10th January 2012, 10:17 PM
I will be sure to concentrate on the gearbox and the life it has been given... and be sure to have the box serviced immediately after purchase to perhaps help prolong its life...

If they fail due to being under specked was there a year where they were strengthend at all or are the upgrade options after failure or is it as simple as brake it buy the same wait another 150 +/- for the bang...

The Gearbox/Transmission has been my biggest concern buying one of these...

Grover-98
10th January 2012, 10:24 PM
Within my selected price range i am looking at examples with roughly 150-250Ks on the clock. ;)

33chinacars
10th January 2012, 10:40 PM
As best that can be worked out the GM 5L40E (TD6) change little in the years it was used by R.R. So in that regard you takes your chances.
BMW that used the same gearbox in the X5 Appear to made some slite changes.
The ZF gearbox used by the V8's is better but also has problems.

Gary

Homestar
11th January 2012, 07:48 AM
Within my selected price range i am looking at examples with roughly 150-250Ks on the clock. ;)

Personally, I would recommend the diesel if you are looking at one with higher KM on it. Diesel engines in general wear a lot better than a petrol engine, and usually produce much higher KM before work is required.

Not sure what sort of KM the petrols are good for, but I have heard reports of the diesels still going strong at 250 to 300KKM. Maybe the only reason I haven't heard of a petrol one doing the same, is that maybe no one can afford to drive them that far.. :)

Grover-98
11th January 2012, 08:00 AM
Personally, I would recommend the diesel if you are looking at one with higher KM on it. Diesel engines in general wear a lot better than a petrol engine, and usually produce much higher KM before work is required.

My thoughts exactly, also the benefits of far better economy has a slight impact on the decision.

Not sure what sort of KM the petrols are good for, but I have heard reports of the diesels still going strong at 250 to 300KKM. Maybe the only reason I haven't heard of a petrol one doing the same, is that maybe no one can afford to drive them that far.. :)

Most of the Petrol models within my price range are showing closer to 100-150KM on the clock.

Kind Regards.

harlie
11th January 2012, 09:06 AM
Fuel economy comes down to personal thresholds – some don’t mind 20L/100, me personally, I didn’t consider the V8 as an option, our TD6 L322 is the least fuel efficient vehicle I’ve ever owned so it is fair to say my level of expectation when it comes to throwing money at bowsers is quite high.

harlie
11th January 2012, 09:09 AM
... do you know if the better double DIN units will intergrate into the CAN bus for the steering wheel controls?

Yes they do Gav, I'm in the process of getting a facia, there are a few different ones, will post when my research is done.

ariddell
11th January 2012, 11:16 AM
Biggest benefit of the Vogue spec over the HSE kit wise is the seats, the more adjustable comfort seats in the Vogue are fantastic, prob about the most comfortable car seats I have ever sat in, a world better than the ones in the HSE and noticeably better even than the ones in the 08 that lose the separate backrest top section adjustment due to the airbags being moved to the seat. Not sure if these were an option on the diesel at all.

Other difference between the Nav/Non-Nav setups for the audio system is the Nav specced cars have an amplifier as well as the DSP and additional speaker. Upside of this is better audio quality, downside is it's not really possible to upgrade/change them much without having to pull out the entire system and replace the amp etc too.

Personally if I was buying another 03 I would look for the best condition petrol Vogue with reasonable KMs I could find and stick it on LPG straight away. Would give in my opinion the best of comfort, power, refinement, kit and be more economical on fuel than the diesel likely into the bargain with about the only downside being the clunky satnav.

Homestar
11th January 2012, 11:39 AM
Biggest benefit of the Vogue spec over the HSE kit wise is the seats, the more adjustable comfort seats in the Vogue are fantastic, prob about the most comfortable car seats I have ever sat in, a world better than the ones in the HSE snip

What other features do the Vogue seat have? I thought my HSE ones were comfortable, and they more adjustments tham you can poke a stick at.:p

Other difference between the Nav/Non-Nav setups for the audio system is the Nav specced cars have an amplifier as well as the DSP and additional speaker. Upside of this is better audio quality, downside is it's not really possible to upgrade/change them much without having to pull out the entire system and replace the amp etc too.

This is where I get confused with what spec came with what vehicle. My HSE does not have Sat Nav, but does have a 9 speaker stereo with amp in the back - it is a different amp than the sat nav version though, but a couple of suppliers I have contacted about new head units say there is only the Vogue style (sat nav) and the basic (non amp) version, and this simply isn't the case.

This also goes for most features - some do have them and some do not, and there doesn't seem to be any way of telling which has what based just on saying it is an SE, HSE or Vogue.

Cheers - Gav

ariddell
11th January 2012, 01:42 PM
Main difference with the Vogue seats is the backrest split into 2 sections which separately adjust to give better back/shoulder support as opposed to 1 single section on the HSE. The headrests are also a different design and I seem to recall the lumbar support was more adjustable.

According to the original sales brochure there were 3 audio options across the range:
6 Speaker - Standard on SE.
11 Speaker - Standard on HSE Diesel and HSE V8
12 Speaker with DSP - Standard on Vogue, optional on HSE.

Satnav was optional across the entire range so by the looks it it you could have an SE with a 6 speaker stereo and satnav if you wanted it.

Cheers,

Al

Grover-98
11th January 2012, 01:47 PM
Now that i have done all of the research... I believe the Diesel HSE is my main cup of coffee (i hate tea)...

Now i have set my priorities, price range and now the test driving truly begins... which is probably the hardest part as there are so little out there to test dive :(

James.

Homestar
11th January 2012, 02:52 PM
Geez - you're not wrong - they seem to be a bit thin on the ground at the moment! Just had a look for the first time in ages, and there are a lot less about for some reason - particullaly in the TD6.

You may have to be patient and be prepared to travel. It took me 3 months to find the one I wanted, and I'm in Melbourne where there are generally plenty about.

Hope you find what your looking for.:)

Grover-98
12th January 2012, 09:17 AM
I went into this process knowing it would be a long one... so i am lucky to have a reliable 98 300Tdi Discovery too keep me going until i finally find the one...

I am willing to travel but truly hoping one would pop up in Sydney... I have decided not to rush and if it takes me 12 months so be it! it will be worth it in the end i am sure :D

James.

jsp
12th January 2012, 10:51 AM
there's a few on car sales.

Just did a quick search and there's a dozen, Silver, Blue, Gold, Green, even a black one!

I looked for nearly 8 months and not once did a black TD6 with jet interior and sat nav come up, and now there's one there. Mind you it says "There will be some work that will need to be carried out on the Range Rover for the roadworthy. " in the listing.

All food for thought.

tebone
13th January 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi Guys,
I love the vogue seats, I decided to go with the petrol and haven't looked back. But saying that its not my everyday car only for longer trips averaging 15k/year. Average country roads 13-14l/100, highway 12-12.5/100 and towing jayco van 15.5/100 but if you drive it really hard when towing, look out 20l/100.

If you have a tight budget and approx 20-30k's/year go for the diesel.

I have heard they are slightly noisier through the firewall than the petrol is it true?

Regards Paul

Homestar
13th January 2012, 12:31 PM
If you have a tight budget and approx 20-30k's/year go for the diesel.

I have heard they are slightly noisier through the firewall than the petrol is it true?

Regards Paul

Yes they are - I test drove both the petrol and diesel versions before buying a diesel, and the petrol was quieter during acceleration, but when up to speed, and cruising, they seem to be about the same.

Fuel economy of the diesel is great though - this was the deciding factor for us, as it is SWMBO daily driver. Her trip to work and back has both town and highway driving, and the car is averaging just over 11's at the moment - that's worked out the right way - from calculating KM and actual fuel used, not the computer, but having said that, the computer seems to be fairly accurate. On the highway to and from my Mum and Dad's, it averaged 9.7 over the 800KM round trip. :) Very happy with that.

danske
13th January 2012, 05:30 PM
I have to say I am glad I went the petrol. The V8 4.4 is an awesome free revving engine and our highway usage shows around 13-14L per 100km's. I dont think this is too bad, considering my noisy 2.4 diesel Defender ( Puma SVX ) does 11's. not alot less. My 92 3.9V8 Classic about 17's ( shocker ).

You really need to do the numbers on diesel versus petrol and how many and type of km's ( country / city / mix ) to work out if the diesel is worth the extra. There is a lot less of them ( mainly due to rich new RR owners not giving a flying f...K about petrol pricing. ). I do a lot of highway driving and the V8 is practically silent whereas the diesel IMHO would ruin the whole quiteness of the drive. ( havent driven one admittedly)

I have always bought the best possible model I could for the money of an car I purchased. So following that approach the Vogue V.8 4.4 for 30- 40K with the least amount of K's would fit that.

Black is a painful colour ,but really does look spectacluar when clean. I fact i clean all three of m landies most weeks ( RRC WestMinster Grey , Deefer Black ) and the Vougue is the easiest to clean with the big broom brush. Takes about 5 min less as all the panels are so smooth in line.

Any way just my thoughts on why I would go a Vogue V8 in black again !

Hoges
13th January 2012, 06:59 PM
It's an interesting comparison between diesel and petrol in the overall cost... if the vehicle is used mainly for long(er) trips the marginal cost of the petrol version over the diesel alternative seems to be of the order of $50 per thousand km or $5k per 100,00km.

That $5k can be eaten up in initial additional capital cost of the diesel over the petrol version.....which at say 6% is a reducing $300pa on interest forgone ... then there's the longer term "through life support" costs which at this stage seem to favour the petrol version according to the RR.net and other forums ( ...I mean "fora" :angel:)

Apparent financial advantage accruing from lower fuel consumption in the diesel could therefore be illusory when oversall long term costs are tallied up
Thoughts?

cheers

Grover-98
13th January 2012, 08:12 PM
The great Diesel Vs Petrol debate... i guess it essentially is personal preference and mine usually favours to Diesel i feel...

The main thing drawing me to Petrol in this case is the increased possible purchases for me, often lower millage, and higher specifications...

But i feel overall a Diesel would be more affordable and ideal for the prospect of long distant travel.

Kind Regards.

Grover-98
13th January 2012, 09:51 PM
There are some really nice Silver ones out there... ;)

Homestar
13th January 2012, 09:51 PM
It's an interesting comparison between diesel and petrol in the overall cost... if the vehicle is used mainly for long(er) trips the marginal cost of the petrol version over the diesel alternative seems to be of the order of $50 per thousand km or $5k per 100,00km.

That $5k can be eaten up in initial additional capital cost of the diesel over the petrol version....

$50 per 1000KM is a lot to me - that's $50 a tankful (when you have a diesel...) so nearly $200 to fill upinstead of under $150 for my 1000KM - no thanks...

The petrol version was a fair bit more expensive than the diesel when new as well...

'03 Diesel (HSE) was $119,900 and the '03 petrol (HSE) was $134,900, so the petrols have always been more expensive to run and buy. Second had is much of a muchness - both versions can be had for about the same prices, but you generally find the petrols have got less KM.

I like the way the petrols drive, but for everyday running costs and longevity, the diesel was my first pick.

Oh, and Danske, there is no real difference in cabin noise levels when cruising along the road - they are still very quiet - just a bit more on acceleration. The V8 does sound a lot better though..:p

Cheers - Gav

tebone
14th January 2012, 03:21 PM

That $5k can be eaten up in initial additional capital cost of the diesel over the petrol version.....which at say 6% is a reducing $300pa on interest forgone ... then there's the longer term "through life support" costs which at this stage seem to favour the petrol version according to the RR.net and other forums ( ...I mean "fora" :angel:)

Apparent financial advantage accruing from lower fuel consumption in the diesel could therefore be illusory when oversall long term costs are tallied up
Thoughts?

cheers

I agree with you hoges, the petrol are cheaper to buy and weighing up purchase price, fuel cost per 1000km there is not a great difference between petrol versus diesel.
I would be interested in how much better the diesel with tow at low revs versuses petrol.
My next car with be the twin turbo V8 diesel in a couple of years after the new model rangie comes out hopefully they with drop a little more.

Regards Paul

Grover-98
14th January 2012, 03:56 PM
I agree with you hoges, the petrol are cheaper to buy and weighing up purchase price, fuel cost per 1000km there is not a great difference between petrol versus diesel.
I would be interested in how much better the diesel with tow at low revs versuses petrol.
My next car with be the twin turbo V8 diesel in a couple of years after the new model rangie comes out hopefully they with drop a little more.

Regards Paul

I would have to say for this vehicle the Diesel runs in at a lower owning cost... especially if purchased from new with it being 15K cheaper to start with! then the added rough saving of $50 per 1000Km... that puts you very far in front... ;)

Kind Regards.

jsp
16th January 2012, 01:12 PM
I would say if one looks around enough there is no price difference between the diesels and the petrol. Its just harder to find a specced diesel.

Homestar
16th January 2012, 01:17 PM
Its just harder to find a specced diesel.

I'd agree with that - took ages to find the one I wanted. Plenty of Lower specced diesels about, but not many with all the goodies...

Grover-98
16th January 2012, 04:11 PM
There are TWO which are VERY tempting to me right now... however they have plain black interior and it just looks.... :( to me...

Since this is so soon in my hunt i will take the chance a better one will come up ;)

jsp
16th January 2012, 05:02 PM
now there's two with jet interior...when it rains it pours!

From my side of the fence I couldn't go back to a car with light interior, then again I use it for all sorts of things and not as a show pony :)

My P38 might look rough but I really got my money out of it over the 10 years it was my daily drive, and that's with me trying to look after it!

I hear people saying the petrol gives in the order of 12-13 l/100, but the real life figures I have seen have been closer to 16-18.

Given I prefer to service my cars at the same shorted interval being diesel or petrol, I can see a small expense of a diesel fuel filter every second service, but in general with my carrent average consumption of 10.2l/100 its a no brainer after insurance and rego being cheaper as well.

But all in all I guess it depends on what you want in a car, I also wanted a lower spec car, with the interior everyone thinks is boring, so each to their own.

tebone
17th January 2012, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=jsp;1608980]

I hear people saying the petrol gives in the order of 12-13 l/100, but the real life figures I have seen have been closer to 16-18.

QUOTE]
Hi JSP
I own a petrol especially driving on the highway you will get 12-13/100.
Using 16-18/100 you must be driving hard all the time. Another thing you have to check with the petrol is the oxygen sensors as mine were replaced about 20k's ago by the previous owner which he said made a difference.

Grover-98
17th January 2012, 04:37 PM
I am now just trying to source a rough "Annual" amount it would cost to keep this thing on the road NOT including fuel as this goes with any vehicle and not including faults and breakages as these are unforeseen however i will be keeping some coin aside just for these things!

Is there a site online at which i can find a rough price for registration?

Greenslip:
http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=102

I have already done some quotes for insurance, i think i might ask my father very politely if he would mind having it under his name and me as an occasional driver as this cut the cost by almost 80%!!! :o

Kind Regards.

redneb72
19th January 2012, 09:24 PM
Grover,

Just wondering how you've gone in your search for a L322? I too am in the hunt for one but am concerned about repairs etc.

Any luck your end?

jsp
20th January 2012, 10:59 AM
Still a yes, the 322 has broken a personal record, 4 months before it got put on a tow truck, smashing the previous record of 3 weeks by one of the other 9 land rovers of I have owned at some point over the past 15 years.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/01/645.jpg

Drove home last night fine, no lights or warnings, started it up this morning, just a batt light on and bad noise, alternator has seized.

I got the car at the right price and put a little aside for emergencies for it, so hope its not too costly!

spudboy
20th January 2012, 11:24 AM
Oiy - that's a sad sight :(

If you can't get your alternator repaired, then I have a dim recollection from somewhere in my brain that the equivalent BMW alternator is identical to the RR one and half the price.... so it might be worth chasing one of them instead of a LR alternator.

Hope it's back on the road soon.
David

33chinacars
20th January 2012, 11:29 AM
Sorry to see that jsp. Still looks a nice car tho. Hope its sorted soon

Gary

jsp
20th January 2012, 01:16 PM
Just got the phone call, s/h alternator from a wreck put in at TRS and ready to go. They don't have new or reco ones in stock as they apparently never get asked for them?

I called around a few places locally and got the same story about getting one from interstate on Monday. Dave, I briefly thought about the BMW side of things, maybe I should have made a few extra phone calls!

So far my luck with s/h alternators has been great, my P38 altenator was from a wreck and still going strong 130k's later, I didn't bother asking for my old one back to rebuild for a spare as I haven't had luck getting one with a badly seized bearing done as its usually fried a few windings somewhere.

Whilst not that cheap, in the big picture it was a good price and I have to give it to TRS for the service and speed.

My car had a new starter motor at 160k, and now an alternator at 205k, so I guess that's potential things to put on your list of stuff to look for.

Camo
21st January 2012, 06:56 AM
Good to hear it wasn't an expensive exercise JSP.

I nearly had to flatbed mine as it had a serious loss in power. She was flat out doing 100 on the highway! All fixed now thanks to a new inline fuel pump and filter... 750 bucks later.. Not a bad outcome:-)

Has been the first issue since I bought it a year ago. 120,000k's on it now.

Grover-98
21st January 2012, 07:14 PM
Grover,

Just wondering how you've gone in your search for a L322? I too am in the hunt for one but am concerned about repairs etc.

Any luck your end?

My search is going well but very slowly! there just aren't many out there at the moment... but i am being patient! and trying to make sure i buy with my head not my heart! ;)

How is your search going?

Kind Regards, James.

Also sorry to see your bad luck jsp! glad the outcome wasn't bad and i hope you break your time on the road record again this time by a long shot!

JarrahJack
25th January 2012, 12:51 PM
This one looks cheap, $24900:

2002 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER HSE L322 03MY SUV Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au (http://tinyurl.com/7blhmcq)

I like them in white, I don't like the full charcoal interior and lack of parking sensors or rain sensing wipers.

Jack

frantic
25th January 2012, 01:26 PM
Looks nice the photos where taken at belmore basin in wollongong. I liveabout 15 min south.

jsp
25th January 2012, 03:04 PM
This one looks cheap, $24900:

2002 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER HSE L322 03MY SUV Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au (http://tinyurl.com/7blhmcq)

I like them in white, I don't like the full charcoal interior and lack of parking sensors or rain sensing wipers.

Jack

Cheapest one I have seen advertised. Must admit I didn't like the white ones but they have really grown on me since I got my black one.

Out of curiosity why do so many people put rain sensors as a high priority?

33chinacars
25th January 2012, 05:05 PM
Looks neat. I hate white cars but then my P38 was white grew to like it. Bloody good price if it all checks out .Half the price of mine. Not sure if it had a towbar tho. Very well detailed. Someone on here should have a good look at it bargain.

Gary

JarrahJack
25th January 2012, 07:32 PM
From the look of one of the photos, it appears not to have a sunroof. I have never seen an L322 without one before, other than the G4 Challenge vehicles, I think. I would be closely checking if this is an import or Australian delivered. There are a few RHD KM/H cars of all sorts coming as personal imports from post boom Ireland lately.

why do so many people put rain sensors as a high priority?

Rain sensing wipers are really useful when driving on the highway during mist or light rain, adjusting the wipers is one less thing to worry about. Having said that I probably wouldn't pay extra for them unless I lived in a rainy place.

Jack

andrew e
26th January 2012, 08:03 AM
The se had a sunroof as an option, I suspect that is an se badged as a HSE as it doesn't have parking sensors either.

I wish my HSE didn't have one, I could have a good overhead console and it wouldnt leak in 10 years time.

That's a nice car in that ad. But I don't think it's that cheap, it will still be worth less in a years time.

I have always said you can get a 10 year old rangie for 20k and a 10 year old disco for 10k. My car was an exception though.

Prices will keep falling like all luxury cars. I got offered a registerable 90s jag sovereign as a demo derby car yesterday. Someone paid almost 150k for it once.

Andy

neil 90
26th January 2012, 08:50 AM
The car in the ad is prob's my least favourite colour combo, but I reckon its a great bargain, looks very clean, low klm's and a diesel, I think if your looking for one you either have a budget and get the best you can but cant be picky on spec or you want a particular spec and pay the price.
when I got my L322 nearly 2 years ago D2a's were fetching that price for a good one!

would I buy another........in a heart beat, easily the best and most reliable and easy to fix car I have ever had.

I went to the bayside to pick up some tyres for Jans classic on tuesday when the weather was really bad and it never once misted up or felt any different to driving on a sunny day. the more time you spend in one the more you appreciate what a world class leading vehicle it is, by a long way.

the only thing that bugs me is the viscous fan comes in when you start the car after its been parked, but its a minor thing and ive got a knack for getting it to cut out anyway. Does anyone else have this problem??

cheers

neil

ariddell
27th January 2012, 11:28 AM
Think that white one is the first L322 I have ever seen without the wood inserts in the dash, does indeed look like an SE badged as an HSE and with none of the option packs added when it was new.

33chinacars
27th January 2012, 12:07 PM
Think that white one is the first L322 I have ever seen without the wood inserts in the dash, does indeed look like an SE badged as an HSE and with none of the option packs added when it was new.

That makes 2 of us

Gary

jsp
27th January 2012, 02:37 PM

Mines a factory hse and doesn't have timber inserts.

rm1991
28th January 2012, 06:47 PM
Only the Vogue has a standard sunroof, and wood is an option on both SE and HSE. from a glance some HSE's can look like SE's most differences are relatively small but enough to make you want the HSE, just like the jump from HSE to Vogue (although aren't most of the 'expensive' bits on a vogue just the heated seats, steering wheel and the sat nav, surly the heated things aren't as relevant here as they would be somewhere that has a much colder climate).

ariddell
28th January 2012, 10:25 PM
Mines a factory hse and doesn't have timber inserts.

Ah ok, didn't realise it was optional on the HSE too, what sort of finish does it have on the trims instead? Looks like silver similar to the panel at the back of the central armrest above the rear seat vents.

Never discount the worth of the heated steering wheel, have used it many times on trips to the snow after taking cold ski gloves off (and also admittedly it's quite nice on the morning commute too in the middle of winter).. :)

2nd Rower
4th February 2012, 02:03 PM
Did any Vogue TD6's make it too Australia?

Homestar
4th February 2012, 03:41 PM
Yep, but they aren't as common as the V8's. There's a nice 06 model for sale at the moment - 2006 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER VOGUE TD6 L322 06MY SUV Cars For Sale in WA - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/land%20rover-range%20rover%20vogue-2006-12071241?base=1216&vertical=Car&eapi=2&Page=2&sort=default&cr=28&__N=4294965541%204294963428%201246%201247%201252%2 01282&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5)

Cheers - Gav

101RRS
4th February 2012, 04:25 PM
Here is one reason I would not own a Fully Fat RR - particularly a black one - preferred wheels of norty fellas.

Rocket attac on a FFRR - YouTube

Garry

Homestar
4th February 2012, 09:27 PM
Here is one reason I would not own a Fully Fat RR - particularly a black one - preferred wheels of norty fellas.

Garry

Geez Garry - that looked a bit like mine:eek:. I'm not a norty fella... much...:p

Grover-98
5th March 2012, 11:01 AM
The search for "the one" continues... staying patient but starting to get every so jealous as i see others drive past in their Range Rovers :(

James.

33chinacars
5th March 2012, 11:24 AM
Hang in there James . Will make all the more satisfying when you finally find the right one

Gary

Grover-98
5th March 2012, 01:02 PM
If i was in the market for a V8 i would have purchased a few by now as it seems they are for more readily available... However being in the market for a Diesel it has significantly reduced the possible purchases! :(

But i have told my self from the start this could easily take all year! :eek:

Homestar
5th March 2012, 01:34 PM
As Gary said - Hang in there. It took me months to find the one, it is well worth the wait.:)

I know how it feels once you have your heart set on one - you seem to see them everywhere - and your not driving them!!! It's just not fair.:p

jsp
5th March 2012, 02:01 PM
I know sometimes there isnt many for salre, and I am happy with a base entry level spec car, but now I am driving one I see so many more of them on the road! Mind you I seem to see lots of P38's lately also.

Funny, the first ever L322 I looked at seriously over a year ago (had mine 5 months now) is still for sale, and they have dropped the price a few grand. It looks good in pictures but is a mess in person. how not to sell a car:
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/land%20rover-range%20rover-2002-10890663?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=4&eapi=2&__N=901 1530 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294965541 4294965478 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5&sort=default

Homestar
5th March 2012, 03:45 PM
Bit pricey too...

The one I bought had been for sale for 5 months, starting price was $48K, got it for $37 and a half...

33chinacars
5th March 2012, 07:49 PM
Looks O'k in pictures but I'm with Gav bit on the pricey side. But who am I to talk paid $49 for mine not that I'm complaining. Did get $11 for my P38 as a trade-in.
Have only seen 1 or 2 P38's and no L322 around here.
Keep looking it will happen

Gary

ariddell
5th March 2012, 10:02 PM
Starting to wonder why our 03 hasn't had much in the way of serious interest as yet, one of the cheapest out there yet not even much in the way of phone calls.

Wondering if people are put off by the fact it has had the wheels swapped for 20s and a load of audio kit fitted for iPod/iPhone integration. Thinking I may swap it back to completely original spec if that's a factor.

Just as well we didn't need to sell it in a hurry really but starting to wonder why, as would have expected at least a few people coming to look even if they then started haggling over price.

Homestar
6th March 2012, 10:16 AM
They can be very hard to shift, but I wouldn't think the audio or the 20's would put people off - I bought mine with 20's on it. What price are you starting at - got a link to the ad?

If you pull the audio gear out, let me know if you want to sell the Ipod intergration kit - is it an intravee?

ariddell
6th March 2012, 12:11 PM
2002 LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER VOGUE L322 03MY SUV Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/land%20rover-range%20rover-2002-11662253?vertical=Car&cr=2&eapi=2&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965541% 204294965478&distance=25&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~1&sort=default)

Started it at $35k which i knew was optimistic but I would have thought it's a bit of a bargain at $30k even with the KMs.

Yeah, an Intravee, the Alpine iPod interface and the iPhone bracket thingy on the special mounting plate that doesn't require drilling into the dash.

Grover-98
6th March 2012, 12:15 PM
I have looked at your Range Rover many times... the interior fits my criteria, the price is good... the Ks are not to much of a worry... the colour is my second choice...

Only bad point for me is that it is a V8 :(

Homestar
6th March 2012, 02:30 PM
Just had a look at the ad - I have no idea why you haven't had any enquiries. Pity it wasn't for sale when I bought mine, or I would have been on your doorstep I think, even though it is the V8 - this may be what is scaring people off - there seem to be more V8's than Diesels for sale, and with petrol prices always heading up, it may put the frighteners on a potential new buyer.

Hope you have some bites soon.

Grover-98
6th March 2012, 02:46 PM
As a potential buyer bacicat2000 is spot on the money! it is the prospected cost of owning the V8 variant which scares me off... in every other way... that is the Perfect Range Rover for me!

James.

Laurie
7th March 2012, 12:24 AM
As James has said: the preference for diesel is defying secondhand costings. just a look in Carsales shows the average Diesel that costed up to $10,000 less is now selling for $5-7000 more than the V8's. And usally with higher mileages. There is a 05 HSE diesel there for $57k and 06 Td6 Vogues for $69+ ! A 05 D3 SE V6 petrol will cost around $30k in basic form, the only thing the Disco has, in my opinion is the huge cargo area and extra seats, comfort ride etc the L322 is tops. Someone might do the figures, but at some point the price difference might make the V8 an economical option.
Like others I'm just waiting for the right one to come along :D
Laurie

Homestar
7th March 2012, 08:22 AM
Someone might do the figures, but at some point the price difference might make the V8 an economical option.

Laurie

Here are the figures as I see them. Based on 20,000KM per year. We are averaging 11L/100KM in our diesel, so 2,200 litres per year @ $1.44 per litre is $3,168 per year. Happy for someone to jump in here with accurate V8 figures, but lets say an average of 15L/100KM? Based on that, then the V8 would use 3,000 litres of petrol for the same 20,000KM, so at $1,34 per litre, that is $4,020 a year, so $852 a year more to run. If you can pick a V8 up for $10K less than a diesel, then that's going to take 11.7 years before you are out of pocket on buying the V8 - worth thinking about.

If your going to turn over the car in less than 10 years, it could be economically viable to get the V8. Having doen all that, I am only guessing the V8's consumption based on a few posts here and there. I would imagine if you are going to be towing with it, then the V8 would start to swallow a lot more...

Cheers - Gav

Grover-98
7th March 2012, 08:49 AM
When making a choice on the Purchase it is not only the cost of refueling the vehicle which goes into account...

There is also the higher cost of registration and also i would imagine a higher cost of insurance as if i was to get a V8 i would be getting a higher spec...

And a none cost issue for me is the amount of time i would spend standing at the petrol station... i like the idea of getting close to 1000km per tank.

James.

Grumbles
7th March 2012, 10:11 AM
I have always believed that in the long run for me a petrol engined fourby will be cheaper to run than a diesel. That is looking at these factors - used purchase price, servicing maintenance, repairs - eg one bad fueling with contaminated diesel and there goes the diesel pump and maybe injectors plus all the inevitable short running around home. Petrols handle short runs better than diesels. I live in a small country town and everything is within a few kilometres so it is this sort of start/stop running but then there is the frequent 100Km trip to the nearest major regional centre.

I have been looking at buying one of the last of the P38s which are being advertised for between $20G and $25G with between 100,000/150,000 Kms on them. Your L322 at $30G and182,000Kms seems like a bargain compared to them - a lot of car for the money. Perhaps it is the Landrover/Rangerover reputation for unreliability which is holding back a sale.

Then too I have no idea as to what the difference in advertised price to actual selling price for these last of the P38s is either.

ariddell
7th March 2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah, we saw that when we bought the 08, very little difference in advertised prices between the non-supercharged and supercharged V8s and as much as $20k of a difference for a TDV8 with similar specs and KMs.

It's a shame LPG has gone up in price so much recently and the subsidy going down shortly that it is looking a less worthwhile proposition converting an L322 considering the ~$5k conversion cost.

Will hang fire on our 03 a while longer before dropping it any further, open to reasonable negotiation with AULRO members but reluctant to drop the price on carsales just purely to be rid of it and have it bought up by a dealer.

Grumbles
7th March 2012, 03:43 PM
Bugger........now you have me thinking about yours.

I need to find out about any potential issues I could face over the next 5 years plus /50thou kms plus because frankly I know nothing much about L322s except for hearing about front diffs and GM trannies

I may chuck you a PM later on.

Grover-98
7th March 2012, 04:19 PM
Now you also have ME thinking about the prospect of a V8... A diesel is far higher on my desire list...

What are the average service costs for Diesel vs V8?

James.

harlie
7th March 2012, 05:33 PM
One point often overlooked when comparing running cost of Petrol V Diesel is resale when you sell it on. As mentioned the diesel was some 10k cheaper then the equivalent petrol, yet now they are 7ish K$ more, so just on this point alone the diesel was ~17k cheaper to own for the first owner - now add fuel, insurance, rego. Now no one can say for sure but I would put money on it that in the next 7-9 yrs the TD6 will depreciate less (%) then the petrol - the sums on how long it will take to save x000$ in extra purchase price on fuel don't take this into consideration.

To get an idea of how much something will cost to own (holding costs) I use basic home loan interest rates (if you don't have a home loan that is the basic income that you should be able to make on the spare $ you need to front up for the diesel)- if you finance the car, you have the higher rate to work with. So I would say a diesel is going to cost (7000 * .07 =) $490 per year extra in holding cost for the extra cash you had to commit for diesel over petrol. Will it cost 490 less to run each year? Diesel will definitely be worth significantly more (even as parts) when your done with it, so most of the 7k will be recouped, just look at diesel v petrol disco 1 & 2s.

at 11L/100 v 15 thats 36% extra, in Brisbane Premium ULP is more expensive than diesel (L322 V8 is spec for 95 Premium), so to be conservative for the PULP variant, lets say they are the same. 490/1.50(liter) = 326L of fuel. 326/36% = 905L to use for the year @ 11/100 = 8636km / year to save the holding cost difference of diesel over petrol. now add the others mentioned. I also add that I'm more likely to keep a diesel longer resulting in fewer vehicle changes.

Taking the following assumptions.
-You will get most of the extra purchase price back when you're finished with it (compared to selling a petrol)
-Premium ULP is the same cost as diesel (it's always slightly more here)
-Holding cost of 7% (not going to get 7% in cash)
You will need to drive 9000ish km / year to cover the extra holding cost. Add (guessing here) 2-3k for depreciation that will see some of the 7k vanish when you sell, subtract the other costs mentioned, being really conservative 17-20000kms would easily cover it.

I don't agree with Grumbles re fuel issues, After 16yrs of diesel vehicle ownership (we currently have 3) and a boat with a pair of diesels (fueled at marinas- generally regarded as the worst quality available), I've never had a more than 10% of the separator worth of water, and that has only been in the boat. I've picked up 2 loads of crap PULP in the trailer boat in the last 2 years, both stopped the engine, admittedly there's no damage (huge inconvenience and clean out) but I would trust the diesel more than petrol...

jsp
7th March 2012, 05:38 PM
I know its not mentioned here much, and I am expecting some ridicule for mentioning it, but when I started asking about the place for tips on L322's i was advised of the cooling systems having issues keeping the V8 cool in hotter areas. Given the cooling issues I have had in the past with my classics and P38, this was a big factor for me. Wether it was scare tactics or good advice I don't know, but it came up a number of times.

its a bit odd thogh it doesn't come up on the forums that much.

mind you I was looking in the mid 20's when I bought my car and there was only two petrols I saw which were in this bracket and both had fairly high k's.

Homestar
7th March 2012, 06:55 PM
I have heard of pressurising issues with the V8 coolant system, but not of them overheating. Personally I would be suprised if they did. Remember this car was developed by BMW, and one of their target markets was the Middle East, so the cars design brief was to be able to operate in extreme conditions. I think the attitude on earlier ones was "It works ok in the UK, hope is alright everywhere else"

The L322 is a very different beast to anything that came before it.

ariddell
7th March 2012, 07:17 PM
I hadn't heard of overheating issues and haven't had any on ours even on our occasional 45 degree days, but you very often see V8s with stained under bonnet insulation from where the plastic expansion tanks have a habit of splitting and going pop spraying the contents everywhere.

Grumbles
7th March 2012, 08:16 PM
Wondering if people are put off by the fact it has had the wheels swapped for 20s and a load of audio kit fitted for iPod/iPhone integration. Thinking I may swap it back to completely original spec if that's a factor.

Okay - I've been looking and reading - I feel a bit like a stalking trout about to take a fly...and get myself hooked to an L322....lol

The 20 inch wheels - I am confused and can't find answers. Some questions please. Are they factory standard? What size tyres do they run? Can you get All Terrains in this size? Does anyone have an idea what a 20 inch tyre is worth please?

Thanks.

Homestar
7th March 2012, 08:44 PM
Okay - I've been looking and reading - I feel a bit like a stalking trout about to take a fly...and get myself hooked to an L322....lol

The 20 inch wheels - I am confused and can't find answers. Some questions please. Are they factory standard? What size tyres do they run? Can you get All Terrains in this size? Does anyone have an idea what a 20 inch tyre is worth please?

Thanks.

See if I can answer some of these. If you find you are getting hooked on the L322, then you are screwed - you will end up buying one and loving it - nothing you can do about that..:p

I believe the 20's were available as standard on the 06 onwards vogue and bolt straight on - I will check, as they may have been available earlier - not 100% on that one. Size of tyre is 255/50R20 - that makes it within a mm or so of the 18's, but a265/50R20 will fit without issue - this will put your speedo out a poofteenth. I think you can get an all terrain for these - as well as a mud terrain, but they are about 35":eek: - get the grinder out!!!:p

Prices vary depending on what you want, but from about $200 to $500 each. Mine are closer to the $200 end...:p

33chinacars
7th March 2012, 08:49 PM
18" , 19" & 20" all standard rim sizes.
255/60-18
255/55-19
255/50-20 for tyres
Later model L322 with Brembo brakes resricted to large Rims

Ive gone with 18" due to the greater side wall especially on our so called hwy ( goat tracks). Many have fitted larger than stock size tyres but dont go too big.

Gary

Homestar
7th March 2012, 09:02 PM
There you go - rim sizes clarified while I was looking it up elsewhere...:p Thanks Gary.

sniegy
7th March 2012, 09:08 PM
See if I can answer some of these. I believe the 20's were available as standard on the 06 onwards vogue and bolt straight on - I will check, as they may have been available earlier - not 100% on that one. Size of tyre is 255/50R20. I think you can get an all terrain for these - as well as a mud terrain, but they are about 35":eek: - get the grinder out!!!:p

Prices vary depending on what you want, but from about $200 to $500 each. Mine are closer to the $200 end...:p
Hi all,
20" rims were not available on the L322 until 06MY & only for the V8 engine.
18" rims were std on the L322 & no option for anything bigger until 07MY from memory (maybe even 08MY) for the TD6.
If you check any brochure there is no option to have bigger rims on the TD6 as this induced a huge vibration on most models.
On later MY's (07/08) they changed suspension damping, rack dampers & engine damping to alleviate this issue, but still today you can feel the TD6 & TDV8 vibrate at idle. There is just no flex in the sidewall of the tyres!
All rims from any L322 model year will bolt straight on. (also D3/D4/Spt)
When they changed to the Jag AJ V8 in 06MY this was to be the demise of the TD6 not to far in the future.
Cooper tires make a 20" off road tyre
Cooper Tires - Tyres (http://www.coopertires.com.au/index.php?page=tyres&tyre_id=9)
A friend used these across the Simpson a few years ago, mixed results!

Grumbles
7th March 2012, 09:19 PM
This is fantastic guys - thanks a lot for the info.

I am looking at an 2002 MY03 4.4 Petrol L322 fitted with 20 inch tyres.

Can I assume this is an okay thing to do?

My current Rangie - a factory standard Classic LSE with ATs fitted -spends its time around my small country town, on average condition narrow rural highways [LHS tyres can get a hammering at times] and on forest trails -some good and some not so good. The next Rangie will perform similar duties.

Perhaps reverting to factory 18's on an L322 is the way to go. I hate changing tyres from stone punctures - tends to stuff up a perfectly good day out.

33chinacars
7th March 2012, 11:49 PM
Have to disagree with Sniegy as I have a few brochures in front of me.
Copyright Land Rover 2001
18" 5 spoke option on all
18" 5-split spoke standard on SE (petrol & diesel), HSE ( petrol & diesel), Vogue( diesel)
19" 6 spoke standard on Vogue(petrol)
19" 6 spoke option on SE & HSE ( petrol)
20" 7 spoke Accessory on all V8's

Copyright Land Rover 2005
18" 5-split spoke ( style 2) standard on V8 & TD6 & HSE TD6. Option on HSE V8.
18" 5-split spoke ( style 3 ) standard on Vogue TD6. Option on V8 & TD6, and HSE V8 & HSE TD6.
19" 7 spoke ( style 4) standard on HSE V8, Vogue V8 & Vogue SE TD6. Option on V8 & TD6, HSE TD6, Vogue TD6, & Vogue SE V8.
20" 7 spoke ( style 5) standard on Vogue SE V8. Option on Vogue V8
20" 9 spoke ( style 6) standard on Vogue SE V8 S/C

Thats all I could find a short notice.

Yes LR did not recommend 19" or 20" on the TD6 due to vibrations

Different wheel nuts between 2002-2005 & later cars.

D3/4 & RRS have a different wheel offset to early L322. Not sure about later L322's

Gary

Homestar
8th March 2012, 07:11 AM
Hi Grumbles, if you are navigating a lot of bumpy roads I probably wouldn't go for the 20's. They are generally fine, but there is a noticeable difference as far as comfort levels go. They make for a much firmer ride than the 18's, and sometimes I think about getting a set of 18's for mine. I like the look of the 20's for that smart 'around town' look, but the practicality of them isn't great. Going bush again in mine this weekend, and I'll have to tip toe around to ensure I don't do any tyre or rim damage.

I would like to get a set of smaller rims and fit some all terrains to them for weekends, but the range of tyres available even in an 18 is crap. I don't think anything smaller would fit though...

Cheers - Gav

spudboy
8th March 2012, 08:04 AM

Gary

Hi Gary - can you explain this a bit for me please? What are the vibrations and what is the reasoning?

Tks
David

sniegy
8th March 2012, 09:07 AM
Have to disagree with Sniegy as I have a few brochures in front of me.
Copyright Land Rover 2001
18" 5 spoke option on all
18" 5-split spoke standard on SE (petrol & diesel), HSE ( petrol & diesel), Vogue( diesel)
19" 6 spoke standard on Vogue(petrol)
19" 6 spoke option on SE & HSE ( petrol)
20" 7 spoke Accessory on all V8's

Copyright Land Rover 2005
18" 5-split spoke ( style 2) standard on V8 & TD6 & HSE TD6. Option on HSE V8.
18" 5-split spoke ( style 3 ) standard on Vogue TD6. Option on V8 & TD6, and HSE V8 & HSE TD6.
19" 7 spoke ( style 4) standard on HSE V8, Vogue V8 & Vogue SE TD6. Option on V8 & TD6, HSE TD6, Vogue TD6, & Vogue SE V8.
20" 7 spoke ( style 5) standard on Vogue SE V8. Option on Vogue V8
20" 9 spoke ( style 6) standard on Vogue SE V8 S/C

Thats all I could find a short notice.

Different wheel nuts between 2002-2005 & later cars.

D3/4 & RRS have a different wheel offset to early L322. Not sure about later L322's

Gary
Gary, yes you are correct on the release of the 19" rims.
Couldnt read off my brochure in the dark:(

They were a std fitment on the 06MY "Style 4" in this model, this is when the changes were made to steering as the newer engines were to be fitted.
Not as i said "On later MY's (07/08) they changed suspension damping, rack dampers & engine damping to alleviate this issue, but still today you can feel the TD6 & TDV8 vibrate at idle"

This is because at idle you would feel the vehicle vibrate & quite harshly at times due to the "lack" of sidewall.
The sidewall in the tyre would take out the vibration & you would not feel it in the 18" rim combo.
On the earlier models Gary, i dont recall any 20" rim option as i dont have any earlier catalogues anymore.

Thanks for your input Gary.:D

33chinacars
8th March 2012, 09:08 AM
Hi David

19" & 20" not recommended for TD6 ? Not a 100% sure but along the lines of engine hormonic's at idle & the smaller side walls of the bigger rims . Have see a better explanation on other forums. Search fullfatrr.com & rangerover.net

Further to my last post Rim sizes
18" x 7.5" or 8"
19" x 8"
20 x 8.5"

Alternative tyre size 235/65-18

Gary

PS thanks Sniegy Had a few brochures lying around to check

Laurie
8th March 2012, 09:19 AM
David
I have seen the causes attributed to engine mounts and auto-trans surging at idle. I don't know the fix,BUT 06 Td6 Vogues came standard with 19" alloys ! and they didn't have this problem,like all diesels though idle is felt in the vehicle.
So there is a fix out there,

sniegy
8th March 2012, 09:38 AM
Hi Laurie,
There is no fix at present for the earlier vehicles (03-05MY)(TD6 only)
These were never set up to have the 19's fitted & why there was never an option for anything bigger than 19" rims.

I suppose the only fix would be to spend mega dollars to fit the newer steering rack (if it would fit), new front air springs & control mechanisms & new Engine mounts & there control mechanisms.;)

Cheers

harlie
8th March 2012, 09:49 AM
It's mentioned here that all L322 wheels will fit as well as all D3/4RRS. As we are talking about early L322 (pre 06 update) it is worth mentioning that you will need the wheel nuts. The wheels offered on Pre 06 have a different recess and use a different wheel nut, so if changing to late L322, D3 ect you will need to get the wheel nuts for the later wheels.

As for 18/19/20 - stay with the smallest rims. Tyres are cheaper, get higher mileage, more available choice, ride smoother, quieter and are far less prone to problems when leaving the black top. IMHO larger (19,20) rims look nicer but 22-24 just look stupid, and theoretically will corner better but that will not be noticable unless you put some laps in at the local track day

Grumbles
8th March 2012, 09:52 AM
Hi Grumbles, if you are navigating a lot of bumpy roads I probably wouldn't go for the 20's. They are generally fine, but there is a noticeable difference as far as comfort levels go. They make for a much firmer ride than the 18's, and sometimes I think about getting a set of 18's for mine. I like the look of the 20's for that smart 'around town' look, but the practicality of them isn't great. Going bush again in mine this weekend, and I'll have to tip toe around to ensure I don't do any tyre or rim damage.

I would like to get a set of smaller rims and fit some all terrains to them for weekends, but the range of tyres available even in an 18 is crap. I don't think anything smaller would fit though...

Cheers - Gav

Thanks for that insight Gav. I really like the plush, big limo, ocean liner/wallowy type ride in my LSE and I would hate to lose that in another car.

Using my Rangie as I do then I'm pretty sure I would quickly damage the 20 inch tyres and probably the rims. Those Victorian fire trails etc can be punishing and at times it can be impossible to avoid the damaging terrain with the travel line choices being either bad or much worse. So 18s it is.

I once went through the two sets of rims and tyres stage when I misguidedly owned a Jap fourby. Never again! Just too much of a hassle and it killed any form of spontaneity about going bush.

Cheers.

sniegy
8th March 2012, 10:07 AM
It's mentioned here that all L322 wheels will fit as well as all D3/4RRS. As we are talking about early L322 (pre 06 update) it is worth mentioning that you will need the wheel nuts. The wheels offered on Pre 06 have a different recess and use a different wheel nut, so if changing to late L322, D3 ect you will need to get the wheel nuts for the later wheels.

As for 18/19/20 - stay with the smallest rims. Tyres are cheaper, get higher mileage, more available choice, ride smoother, quieter and are far less prone to problems when leaving the black top. IMHO larger (19,20) rims look nicer but 22-24 just look stupid, and theoretically will corner better but that will not be noticable unless you put some laps in at the local track day
Harlie,
You are correct. All the rims mentioned have the same PCD, it is just the wheel nuts that need to be changed to suit the rim.
From memory they will all sit on the hub locating ring, but the nuts to suit the rim will be required.
Cheers

ariddell
8th March 2012, 05:43 PM
Have to agree, have just driven our 03 back to back with the 20s on it and again on the same stretch of road with the factory standard 19s fitted back on again.

Ride is definitely marginally rougher with the 20s (although not much in it), although the 19s give marginally more tyre noise. That's probably down to the particular tyres however.

As such I think I will leave the 19s on there and give prospective purchasers the option of the 20s instead if they prefer rather than the other way round.

18s seem to be readily available, you see loads of sets of the HSE style going past on ebay on a regular basis.

Grumbles
8th March 2012, 09:02 PM
Ride is definitely marginally rougher with the 20s (although not much in it), although the 19s give marginally more tyre noise. That's probably down to the particular tyres however.

That is good news. Us old guys......well me.....need all the comfort we can get. :D

Camo
9th March 2012, 10:41 AM
I got a set of 20's from a 2007 supercharged in new condition for $500..even came with the nuts:D gotta love Ebay

I didn't notice the difference in ride.. no gravel roads here though.

Put the set of 18's aside for when I need to do a trip up north.. Thinking I might get them painted black.. the 18's are bloody ugly!

Camo

drivesafe
11th March 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi Camo and I must catch up with you some time so we can see the differences in the two models.

As far as I am concerned your’s is by far the superior of the two.

Whole my 07 handles slightly better on road, the ride in yours is noticeably more comfortable and so is the interior, having bigger seats in yours.

I was going to say yours is better off road but as mine is a waste of time even trying to go off road, I’ll simply say at least you can take yours off road.

Camo
11th March 2012, 02:01 PM
Ok I will do a straight swap if you like drivesafe:D Would be a brilliant deal!

Doubt mine would be too flash offroad with the 20" road tyres. Wonder what mine would be like on the beach, the 20's won't bag much. Anyone know?

Cheers

Camo

drivesafe
11th March 2012, 03:38 PM
Hi Camo but you can put 18” on yours, which not only means better off road tyres but you can air down.

With the 20”, you air down at your own peril. Found that out the hard ( expensive ) way.

You would remember where I could put my 02 RR and that was with stock road tyres, the 07 RR is nothing more than a pimpmobil.

Great on road but don’t consider taking it much further off road than you can take a commodore.

Camo, this is why you don't see me at any of the club trips. While I own an RR, thanks to it's inability, I don't have an off roader anymore.

2nd Rower
12th March 2012, 04:18 AM
I was going to say yours is better off road but as mine is a waste of time even trying to go off road, I’ll simply say at least you can take yours off road.

Drivesafe, I've seen some of your other comments... Is it just the inability to get 18" wheels fitted or other factors that in your mind make your new RR woeful off road compared to the TD6?

drivesafe
12th March 2012, 05:12 AM
Hi 2nd Rower, the wheels are the primary drawback because the electronics onboard would make the RR comparable with a D4 but the D4 3lt can have 18” fitted, nothing is available for the RR without modifying the brake callipers.

Land Rover are making it abundantly clear that they are moving away for the 4x4 fraternity and are more interested in the soccer mum market, or more accurately, the rickshaw mum market.

If you want to tow a caravan, well about 18 months back, one of the mags stated that the best two tow vehicles in Australia are the VW Touareg and the TDV8 RR.

I agree with that, great tow vehicle but a waste of space when it comes to off roading.

Graeme
12th March 2012, 11:05 AM
the D4 3lt can have 18” fittedAs this is a specific aftermarket 18" rim, have you tried one of these on your RR?

ariddell
13th March 2012, 04:13 PM
I would have thought the electronic locking central and rear diffs 2007+ would have made a difference to the ability, but yeah always going to be limited by the tyre/rim selection.

Random thought but would Jaguar rims of similar vintage be compatible given the shared parentage at that point and commonality elsewhere? Suspect there may have been Jag options running 18" but with big calipers too if the offsets and stud patterns etc would work.

harlie
14th March 2012, 02:41 PM
Random thought but would Jaguar rims of similar vintage be compatible ....

Load ratings might not be.

ariddell
14th March 2012, 09:07 PM
Good point, bit of a weight difference so probably unlikely.

Grover-98
29th March 2012, 07:25 AM
Well...After 2.5 Months of searching...

I can finally say it paid off! i managed to find the PERFECT L322... it was in fact so perfect i was sure it was a con! It has ticked all the boxes and many more then i anticipated!

Black
Tan Interior
Sunroof
TD6
Dvd Players in the head Rests
Dual Sun-visors
Cargo Net
Genuine Floor Mats....

And of course many other things all you guys would be failure with that to us new L322 owners are rather exciting!

The best part was... it was VERY well priced and only 30km from home!!!

I will be sure to put up some pictures as soon as i get a chance to take some! but i can already see how addictive they are... it is just gorgeous to drive!

A Very pleased James. :D

Homestar
29th March 2012, 10:46 AM
Way to go James :)

You will love owning it, and you will never get tired of driving it. Be sure to post pics when you get a chance.

Camo
29th March 2012, 12:18 PM
Ho much? and how many k's? :cool:

101RRS
29th March 2012, 02:52 PM
Well done James :) - patience is a virtue - glad to see that you managed to find exactly what you wanted.

All you need now is a wheel chair, a walking stick and a tweed jacket and you will fit right in with the L322 set.:o

Garry

Grover-98
30th March 2012, 10:48 AM
Here is a fairly basic picture :)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/03/58.jpg

Grover-98
30th March 2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks a lot guys for all of your help through out my search! I really can't believe i own one of these fine pieces of engineering... i find myself randomly smiling whilst driving it! it truly is like driving around in a lounge room! but then i don't need to sell the idea to you guys! :D

It has 170K on the clock but has been well looked after and the asking price was 30K which was very well priced!

It is 100% what i wanted and it even has a few extras i wasn't expecting like the dvd players and floor mats, double sun visors etc... i took the manual to work last night and did my best to learn all the tricks! and man does this car have some hidden features i will probably never use to their full potential :o

I am one happy young man! and the envy of family and friends :)... i can't imagine life without a Range Rover and iv only owned it for 2 days!

...Ps: If you have any spare tweed jackets etc Garry... send me a PM :p

Kind Regards, James. :D:D:D:D:D

Camo
30th March 2012, 11:40 AM
You ripper! Congrats mate:D

I was not keen on black when I was looking. But now after buying a black one I wouldn't go back.. Just suits the car.

Now time to get some nice wheels for it;)

My next RR will be black for sure..

Camo

33chinacars
30th March 2012, 12:32 PM
We done James. Looks good drive and enjoy. As for the tweed jacket think I've got one in the wardrobe haha.

Gary

PAT303
30th March 2012, 05:17 PM
Here is a fairly basic picture :)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/03/58.jpg

I had one that looked exactly like that:D. Pat

Grover-98
30th March 2012, 09:49 PM
I am in two minds about the wheels... I would love to get a nice set of 19s, however the tyres on it are brand new thanks to Pat303.

I will have a look around and see what I can find... Might sell these tyres and rims to help cut the cost!

The windows will be tinted soon... And clear repeaters.

James.

PAT303
30th March 2012, 11:30 PM
Those tyres have less than 10k on them,the windows are tinted?. Pat

Grover-98
31st March 2012, 09:38 AM
Those tyres have less than 10k on them,the windows are tinted?. Pat

It would be a real shame to waste such new tyres! :(

The windows are tinted yes, but i am thinking of going to a darker tint :angel:

James.

PAT303
31st March 2012, 05:29 PM
Remember the spare is new too,you got a good buy.Before going any further the one thing I didn't do was the rear bags,it was this years job,I would look at them closely as they are now at that time that they start leaking.Ex UK they are very well priced. Pat

Grover-98
31st March 2012, 10:16 PM
I certainly couldn't agree more in regards to this being a great buy!

I will look into the rear bags ASAP for preventstive measures rather then waiting till I am caught out!

James.

PAT303
1st April 2012, 01:34 PM
Smart move.Just a tip,don't go up and down while still,people love doing it but thats what chews out the ball joints. Pat

Grover-98
1st April 2012, 04:02 PM
I was unaware that you could do it whilst
On the move?
Also is it normal for the Diesels to have a very pronounced whistle from the turbo as you back off the throttle?

James.

Homestar
1st April 2012, 08:18 PM
I was unaware that you could do it whilst
On the move?
Also is it normal for the Diesels to have a very pronounced whistle from the turbo as you back off the throttle?

James.

Can't say I've noticed a whistle from the turbo as you describe. As for the suspension - changing it on the move is the go - if you need to drop it to access height, press the button as you are slowing down - once you drop in speed, the car will then drop to access height - if you end up driving off again before you stop, it will go back to standard height. Going up to off road and back again is just as easy - if you leave it in off road height and go to drive off somewhere quickly, it will bring up and alarm - "MAX 50KPH IN OFFROAD" or something like that.

Cheers - Gav

Grover-98
1st April 2012, 09:09 PM
I know these cars have a lot of normal things which seem off at first but I am trying to find what is normal and what are issues...

1. The turbo seems noisy when backing off
2. There is a slight shudder under load say 60kmph just on the throttle under 2000rpm as an example.
3. The suspension drops when I close the drivers door after shutting it down and getting out... And seems to leak a bit in the rear when left for a while...
4. The headlights seem worse then I'd expected... Limiter side vision and low and high beam don't seem to different just high beam seems out of alignment...

None the less it is is a great car and I am not at all regretful with my purchase just want to know what I should worry about...

James.

BRUMMY
1st April 2012, 09:46 PM
Yes,I would buy another,nothing comes close to the ride and comfort of these cars.
I have a black with ivory TD6.Very economical 9l/100klm on the freeway,12 around town.
Try and get one with a sunroof,the satnav that someone else mentioned earlier is very basic and your $200 NAVMAN does more.
The front diff should have been done as a recall on all cars at some time.
The suspention bags last a lot longer than the P38 model,and are available from the UK mail order.
The front seat trim around the seat switches seem prone to wear very quickly,as does the front door card armrests which are not replaceable,you have to buy the whole thing.
The pixalation on the mid cd player can be done mail order from bmbits in the UK,about $200 with postage.
Let me know if you need more info.

Homestar
2nd April 2012, 07:04 AM
I know these cars have a lot of normal things which seem off at first but I am trying to find what is normal and what are issues...

1. The turbo seems noisy when backing off Sorry, can't help here.
2. There is a slight shudder under load say 60kmph just on the throttle under 2000rpm as an example. Could be at a point just before the trannie is about to kick down? Mine isn't as smooth sometimes as it could be.
3. The suspension drops when I close the drivers door after shutting it down and getting out... And seems to leak a bit in the rear when left for a while... Normal - it will try and level itself a bit once you are out of the car. If one corner is letting air out, you will find it will just be the angle you are parked on.
4. The headlights seem worse then I'd expected... Limiter side vision and low and high beam don't seem to different just high beam seems out of alignment...Mine are crap too - the standard lights are nothing to write home about. An HID conversion will fix it - I have seen it done - Fraser130's has an aftermarket HID kit in it, and it is great - one of the next things I will be doing to mine.

None the less it is is a great car and I am not at all regretful with my purchase just want to know what I should worry about...

James.

Cheers - Gav:)

Grover-98
2nd April 2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks Gav!

I suspected it may have been the suspension doing its little self leveling trick... And in someways it is good to know all the headlights are crap so i am not the only one ;)... but then it would of been better it Land Rover got it right! :(

As for the shudder... it does seem to come in just before it kicks down so it seems normal i just expected a slightly smoother box with such a high-end vehicle.

And the turbo... ill have a look into that just to make sure there is nothing sinister going on :)

My next task is going to be learning how to use these dvd players and tuner... it seems over complicated!

James.

jsp
2nd April 2012, 07:36 AM
Mine has a bit of turbo whistle, seems around the 1800-2200 RMP mark is its loudest, and can make a fluttering whistle sound when backing off occasionally, two of the other td6's I tested did the same thing and one was silent.

These cars keep you on your feet :) I did a fuel pump yesterday :(

Laurie
2nd April 2012, 11:10 AM
James
I had a whistle on another car and after many hours of searching it turned out to be the exhaust mainfold had 2 loose bolts !
Other things to look at are: hose/pipe condition & security, has the crankcase breather filter been replaced recently? also the dreaded EGR valve if it not opening or closing complely it will cause a whistle. There's more info of above at

fullfatrr.com - View topic - TURBO FAILURE TD6 (http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post12326.html)

there are also sub-links on that page.

Laurie

Camo
2nd April 2012, 11:29 AM
Will get mine checked out as it whistles when I back off aswell.

I know how you feel JSP.. They keep you on your feet, thats for sure!

Mine had the HDC Inactive the other week. New battery fixed it. In line fuel pump went a few weeks ago, not too bad a price for a new one. But now 1 in every 10 starts it does not do anything! I put in neutral and then she starts. Looks like the sensor in the gearshift which detects whether in park or not..bit frustrating indead.

Anyone had this problem before? know how to fix?

Camo

101RRS
2nd April 2012, 11:57 AM
James
I had a whistle on another car and after many hours of searching it turned out to be the exhaust mainfold had 2 loose bolts !

I agree - turbo whistle can often be exhaust related - my Freelander developed a whistle and it was a crack in the flexible joint in the engine exhaust pipe.

Garry

Homestar
2nd April 2012, 12:27 PM
As for the shudder... it does seem to come in just before it kicks down so it seems normal i just expected a slightly smoother box with such a high-end vehicle.

Unfortunately there is nothing 'high end' about the box in these... It is by far the worst feature on these cars... remember - they put virtually the same box in the Commodore - hardly high end...

jsp
2nd April 2012, 12:35 PM
James
Other things to look at are: hose/pipe condition & security, has the crankcase breather filter been replaced recently? also the dreaded EGR valve if it not opening or closing complely it will cause a whistle. There's more info of above at

fullfatrr.com - View topic - TURBO FAILURE TD6 (http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post12326.html)

there are also sub-links on that page.

Laurie

I am a bit worried now, I was happy feeling its normal for a bit of spooling up/down whistle, like that of a truck, as I have driven a few in testing like that and the guys up at TRS said it was normal.

Another thing to fix!

33chinacars
2nd April 2012, 02:09 PM
Would have to agree about the headlights being crap ( not as good as expected). He ones on my P38 were a lot better. But then I haven't seen the bi-xeion one.

Gary

Grover-98
4th April 2012, 12:52 PM
Thank you very much for all your replies!
I haven't been able to get on here as much as i would have liked over the past few days but from spending time driving my Rangy and just getting to know it most of the things i at first thought may have been problems seem to be the norm from all accounts...

The only thing that makes me nervous is the turbo but i have read many thread on the internet which leads me to believe that it is just a normal sound for this motor... :angel:

With my birthday coming up soon... all i want is goodies for the Range Rover to keep him clean and maybe some clear side repeaters :D

James.

Grover-98
7th April 2012, 07:14 PM
When i first started driving this like most i found the gear box to be a real let down in means of smoothness...

One method i have found to make the car nicer to drive is when i feel the car beginning to load up just at the point where it wants to change down but i am happy with the speed and throttle position (example again light throttle use at 60kmph) i just throw it over into sport shift and this adds a few hundred rpm without me having to kick it back with more throttle...

Doing this has made the car just that little nicer to drive :) Overall i am still absolutely loving the feeling this thing gives to drive! :D

James.

PAT303
9th April 2012, 11:12 AM
Thank you very much for all your replies!
I haven't been able to get on here as much as i would have liked over the past few days but from spending time driving my Rangy and just getting to know it most of the things i at first thought may have been problems seem to be the norm from all accounts...

The only thing that makes me nervous is the turbo but i have read many thread on the internet which leads me to believe that it is just a normal sound for this motor... :angel:

With my birthday coming up soon... all i want is goodies for the Range Rover to keep him clean and maybe some clear side repeaters :D

James.

James the turbo whistle is normal,it spins at 100K remember,drive ''my'' L322 and enjoy it.With the gearbox it shunts because it's in top gear at 60 which is too slow,in traffic flick the lever to the left so it's in sport mode and it'll hold third and fourth. Pat

Grover-98
9th April 2012, 01:05 PM
James the turbo whistle is normal,it spins at 100K remember,drive ''my'' L322 and enjoy it.With the gearbox it shunts because it's in top gear at 60 which is too slow,in traffic flick the lever to the left so it's in sport mode and it'll hold third and fourth. Pat

I have been doing exactly that in MY :P Range Rover and have found it drives so much better!

James

PAT303
9th April 2012, 01:31 PM
I have been doing exactly that in MY :P Range Rover and have found it drives so much better!

James

:p. Pat

p38arover
24th December 2015, 07:24 AM
Just from cursory surfing of the'net since I bought my Vogue, if I were buying again, I'd look for a later one just for things like Bluetooth, etc.

The cost of adding it to earlier cars is ridiculously high.

Homestar
24th December 2015, 07:35 AM
To do Bluetooth properly, then yes, a bit pricey, but if you don't mind cheap Chinese stuff (I know that wouldn't work for you Ron with your good purchasing history :D) but there are cheap aftermarket head units that give you bluetooth. Was going to do this with mine, but I'll be selling it now, so not going to worry.

Would I buy another one? Yes, but a newer version - maybe something that was only a few years old, but I won't have the pennies for that for a while I don't think.

rar110
24th December 2015, 07:35 AM
Ron
If yours has a cig lighter next to an aux audio plug at the back of the centre console, there is a $20 Bluetooth solution.

However, I agree my 08 model has lots of good stuff on it. I especially like the heated memory seats. They're more comfortable than our lounge chairs.

Rextheute
24th December 2015, 11:46 AM
Whilst "xmasing on the couch " I have been reading this thread as my desire for a l322 has been growing - some good info here .
My wish list is a prob the later 2011 ish .

I've promised myself one when my p38 reaches 300k .
Nara bronze ,black leather ,tanpiping ,cherry wood tdv8 ......

rar110
24th December 2015, 12:32 PM
The twin turbo 3.6 L322 is impressive and coming down in price, so they're not much more than a D3 of similar age & km. I think they are good buying, especially when you consider the list price of a new L322 was about double that of a D3 SE. The sequential turbo 4.4 sounds even better and now start at about $80k.

rar110
24th December 2015, 07:46 PM
Just from cursory surfing of the'net since I bought my Vogue, if I were buying again, I'd look for a later one just for things like Bluetooth, etc. The cost of adding it to earlier cars is ridiculously high.

Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/151644302261

p38arover
25th December 2015, 08:16 AM
I do have a BlueAnt Supertooth II Bluetooth that I've been using for some years but it doesn't auto connect so it's always a fiddle to get it to work (made pre-iPhone era - the iPhone isn't even mentioned in the instructions). My Sena motorcycle helmet BT auto connects.

I'd like to be able to dial from the cars screen because the iPhone never recognises what I'm saying when I try to use voice control. :(. A touch screen like my wife's Subaru would be far better.

I'd like to dump the CD stacker and get iPod connectivity. My P38A had a head unit that accepted an iPod internally and controlled it from the front panel.

Ron
If yours has a cig lighter next to an aux audio plug at the back of the centre console, there is a $20 Bluetooth solution.

However, I agree my 08 model has lots of good stuff on it. I especially like the heated memory seats. They're more comfortable than our lounge chairs.

I've found the cig lighter but not the aux socket.

Mine has the heated front and rear seats. Like the P38A, there are memory seats but as my wife and I use the same seating positions, it's not an issue. The only time it's important is after it's been to the mechanic. They are short and I can't get behind the wheel after they've driven it. All the cars they work on get the same treatment as I've occasionally had to move cars around in the workshop.

Re comfort, my wife thinks the P38A seats are more comfortable.

donrover0
25th December 2015, 10:46 AM
I've used an aftermarket BMW module from US that replaces the standard CD player ; with plugin with USB stick for full sound AND auto quietening of sound for bluetooth phone answering, etc.
Cost around A$250.
Cant recall the brand but I'll have a look in car after Xmas.
Car in workshop with failed "reconditioned" torque converter! that burnt a few clutches while limping home!

donrover0
25th December 2015, 10:56 AM
Pretty sure mine was Audiovox Mediabridge, but there are many makes eg, Denison, Yatour, Grom. Came with correct wiring adaptors so was basically plug and play.
Although supplier said wont suit/no listing for L322, it works fine as we have same wiring as BMW X5 in the entertainment department! he said he'd add this info to his future listings!

p38arover
25th December 2015, 12:39 PM
What year model is yours, Don?

33chinacars
25th December 2015, 04:14 PM
Would I buy another L322. You bet I would. Love mine even with its faults. Ie gearbox.
Just bought a Mazda BT50 for a work ute . So won't be able to afford to upgrade for a while.
Ron have you looked at the Parrot BT unit . May not be in your league but a number of friends recommend it.

chaybra
25th December 2015, 04:28 PM
I wont be buying an l322 in the future....purely because i have no intention of parting with the one i have, even with 200k+ on him now :angel::D

rangie85
8th January 2016, 10:08 PM
Seems like this has been answered to death already, but wanted to add my 2c. YES YES, YES, quite literally! I'm about to take delivery of my third L322 (6th Rangie in total). I've bought approx 10 year old cars as they're the newest I can afford! A 2002 tan on black 4.4 Vogue with with 180,000kms in 2011 for $30,000 private sale (only issue I has was broken thermostat). Next a 2004 grey on blue 4.4 Vogue with 153,000 kms in 2013 for $42,000 dealer sale (never missed a beat), and just bought a cream on blue 4.2 SC Vogue with 158,000kms from a dealer for $36K.

A full service history and receipts to demonstrate it's been looked after is the key. Preventative maintenance on a Rangie means everything; I've never had to spend more on repairs than I have on servicing an L322, I reckon if you can keep within a 1:1 ratio then that's a good buy. I'll let you know how the new one goes!

Piddler
9th January 2016, 07:04 AM
Seems like this has been answered to death already, but wanted to add my 2c. YES YES, YES, quite literally! I'm about to take delivery of my third L322 (6th Rangie in total). I've bought approx 10 year old cars as they're the newest I can afford! A 2002 tan on black 4.4 Vogue with with 180,000kms in 2011 for $30,000 private sale (only issue I has was broken thermostat). Next a 2004 grey on blue 4.4 Vogue with 153,000 kms in 2013 for $42,000 dealer sale (never missed a beat), and just bought a cream on blue 4.2 SC Vogue with 158,000kms from a dealer for $36K.

A full service history and receipts to demonstrate it's been looked after is the key. Preventative maintenance on a Rangie means everything; I've never had to spend more on repairs than I have on servicing an L322, I reckon if you can keep within a 1:1 ratio then that's a good buy. I'll let you know how the new one goes!

Thinking of buying a supercharged 07-08 what do you think of it?

Cheers