PDA

View Full Version : Small block Chev Rebuild

crash
9th January 2012, 07:55 AM
I need to take the heads off of a small block Chevy (283). Pretty sure that the majority of the valves are stuck, so I will need to replace the lifters, valves and springs in it as a minimum, and most liely possibly the cam.
Got one exhaust manifold off with no problem, but broke the head off of a middle bolt on the other side. The bolt is rusted in the manifold and am having trouble getting the manifold off, may have to eventually drill it out.

My biggest question is, is there any trick or hints I need to know with taking the distributor out?
The firing order is marked on the manifold, but I can not remember how the cylinders are numbered for a Chevy?

Homestar
9th January 2012, 10:01 PM
Nothing special you need to know about the dizzy on these - they are a pretty straight forward engine to work on. FYI - number 1 cylinder is the front right, finishing at number 8 on the back LHS (when standing in front of the engine looking towards the back)

This page - Info on V8 Engine Firing Order (http://www.offroaders.com/tech/V8-engine-firing-order.htm) shows the firing order of most V8's - the chev is 4th down the list.

Cheers - Gav

400HPONGAS
11th January 2012, 12:23 PM
For all the work and expense you going to spend on those heads you would be better off with a set after market alloy heads .Those 23 degree wedge heads are disgustingly inefficeint and are the reason those 283's are so gutless and chew the Juice . These would be an excellent set to use , Edelbrocks
SMALL BLOCK CHEV EDELBROCK ALLOY HEADS | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SMALL-BLOCK-CHEV-EDELBROCK-ALLOY-HEADS-/280741292256?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415d7c28e0)
Throw the cast iron crap heads in the Bin !!!

crash
12th January 2012, 11:22 AM
I will most likely get a complete top end rebuild kit, still undecided.
I have to get the exhaust manifold off first. I have one bolt that is totally rusted into the manifold, twisted the head off, and am in the process of drilling it out. Have broken two bits off as well which is adding to my woes.
Have almost used up a can of penetrating fluid on it, tried heating the manifold and quick cooling the bolt but still no go. An easy out will not help as it is stuck in the manifold, not in the head.
I will win the fight eventually.
Some reading I have done re the 283 is they like to rev and make good flat track racing engines, but do not produce much torque.