PDA

View Full Version : What Flywheel is This?

geodon
22nd January 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm ripping into recently obtained Holden/Landy bits to repair my destroyed clutch and GB

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/holden-powered-series-land-rovers/141366-what-caused-clutch-disaster.html

and I've found that the flywheel looks different to what I took off mine. Mind you mine was a 186 but this one is a 173. What were the differences apart from 15 cubic inches of displacement? The 173 is LH prefixed on the eng no & that means is from a manual transmission Torana with high comp. I think I may go with the 173!!

The brass spigot bush looks the good too. Is that a Landy one that the crankshaft was drilled to accept?

Wow! The difference in QUALITY between the conversions is like chalk & cheese.

Engine mounts are much stronger looking. The adaptor LOOKS like it's been cast & is 50% thicker metal.

rangieman
22nd January 2012, 04:30 PM
I cant see as the pics are way too small , But about 25 years ago in my young and dumb days:p i had a holden converted series and i fitted a new flywheel as i wasnt happy with the one in the car,

The flywheel i fitted was made by someone the name escapes me at the moment but it came from Scoreby in Vic and it was a private address where i got it from , The quality was first class it was also alot heavier (Weight) than the holden flywheel

geodon
22nd January 2012, 07:46 PM
If I click on them they get big.

Is that not happening?

I think it may be a 173 flywheel bit I'm not sure. It weighs about the same as the 186

Lionelgee
25th January 2012, 08:53 PM
If I click on them they get big.

Is that not happening?

I think it may be a 173 flywheel bit I'm not sure. It weighs about the same as the 186

Hello Geodon,

When I click on the photo it takes me to another window where the photo remains the same size. It then proceeds to remain the same size regardless of how many times it is clicked,

Kind Regards
Lionel

dswatts
25th January 2012, 08:56 PM
Works ok for me??

mick88
25th January 2012, 09:13 PM
Hi Geodon,
I cannot get the pics to expand either.
I have weighed a flywheel from a holden red six and it was approx 11 kg, I think it may have been from a 186 engine, but I cannot be absolutely sure. Auto or manual, again I am not sure, but I would immagine that they would all be in a ball park figure. A Land Rover four cylinder flywheel is approx 15 kg.
Hope this is of some help.

Cheers, Mick.

Lotz-A-Landies
25th January 2012, 09:26 PM
One adapter looks like a cast iron housing which could be a Johnson Kit from Geelong the other adapter is fabricated and the welding looks home made as does the bracket on the engine mount, The fully fabricated mounts could be Johnson as does the flywheel there is a booklet in the files area http://www.aulro.com/afvb/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=7&id=53 And the images in that doc seem to confirm my opinion.

Johnson Kits are good although the Sim kit had a better clutch system.

Diana

mick88
25th January 2012, 10:34 PM
Hi,
I finally worked out how to expand them...right click on mouse then "open link" to view them.
The fabricated engine mounts and cast adaptor plate are the same as my series 3 has, which I believe to be a Johnson Kit. As for drilling out the end of the crankshaft to take the spigot bush, that is not necessary.
The holden spigot bush measures approx 1 1/8" OD, so it is still large enough to accommodate a bush suitable for a Land Rover spigot shaft which is 7/8" Diameter (from memory).

Cheers, Mick.

geodon
26th January 2012, 05:38 AM
Thnx Diana & Mick you are right on the money!

Mick the mainshaft IS 7/8ths and I've bought a length of bright bar to make a clutch alignment tool.

I've also bought a dial indicator set up to line it up properly even tho the PO reported no probs with gears etc.

Lionelgee
26th January 2012, 02:42 PM
Hi,
I finally worked out how to expand them...right click on mouse then "open link" to view them.
The fabricated engine mounts and cast adaptor plate are the same as my series 3 has, which I believe to be a Johnson Kit. As for drilling out the end of the crankshaft to take the spigot bush, that is not necessary.
The holden spigot bush measures approx 1 1/8" OD, so it is still large enough to accommodate a bush suitable for a Land Rover spigot shaft which is 7/8" Diameter (from memory).

Cheers, Mick.

G'day Mick,

I followed your instructions and the photo became much bigger - thank you.:banana: Now to go back and find all those other photos on this forum that I could never get to be bigger :):clap2:

Kind Regards
Lionel

marc
17th November 2012, 08:41 PM
G'day Mick,

I followed your instructions and the photo became much bigger - thank you.:banana: Now to go back and find all those other photos on this forum that I could never get to be bigger :):clap2:

Kind Regards
Lionel

so thats how you do it, ill have to go back through the photos now(damn these new fangled gagets)