PDA

View Full Version : L322's off road are AWESOME!

Homestar
26th January 2012, 05:41 PM
Well, just got back from a day in the Wombat State Forrest with a group of fellow Landy Lovers. There will be a write up in the Vic Reports section at some stage - I'll post a link to that when it has some pics on it.

There were 7 vehicles in the group. A D1, 2 x D2's, 3 x Deefers and me (and SWMBO). Although the trp was only flagged as an Easy/Medium run, there were a few raised eyebrows when we rolled up this morning at the meeting point.

Anyway, once off the black top and onto some tracks, the fun started. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but they have great ground clearance, the hill decent is brilliant, and it climbs like a billy goat.

I was running standard road tyres, on the 20" rims, so I was being careful not to cause any tyre damage, and admittetly it was dry, and there wasn't much mud around like there usually is in Wombat.

We covered a fair amount of ground, including quite heavily rutted tracks, steep declines and a couple of steep hills to go up, but I was continually amazed how easy it was to drive off road - my 86 Rangie is a manual, and I have never taken an auto off road - wow, too easy!:p Again, it was only medium difficulty, but great fun!

Everyone on the trip was quite impressed with how it went, and I think some thought we were a little simple when we started down some narrow tracks that were quite grown over - The paint needs work anyway, so I wasn't worried that it may need a cut and polish...:D

So, if you haven't taken your pride and joy for a run in the bush yet, I urge you to too - even if it's just once so you know what it is truly capable of.

I have no doubt that with a set of 18" rims with muddies on it (I think they are going on the shopping list:angel:), that it would do hard runs without issue, with everything else bog stock standard - only one way t find out I suppose...:twisted:

Take 'em out and get 'em dirty! Photos to follow to prove it happened.:)

ariddell
27th January 2012, 11:23 AM
Yep, I agree, they are very very capable. We've only ever taken our 03 properly off road once on a very muddy day out at Bunyip but it did very well considering it was on standard road tyres too.

Thinking the 08 would probably be even better thanks to the electronic locking centre and rear diff but don't know if I'm quite brave enough to try it out....