PDA

View Full Version : Australia Day Fishing Trip

LandyAndy
29th January 2012, 04:32 PM
Hi Guys,just back from 4 days at Albany.
Lindsay and I went down early thursday and were on the water in Albany by 10.30am.
There was a howling ESE so it was too windy and rough to get out of the harbour.We found a nice sheltered spot behind a hedland opposite the wood chip terminal.Lindsay and I soon started hooking into King George whiting,and plenty of them.All were only just legal so they were returned,we only managed to keep 1 and a decent sized garfish(kept for bait;););))
Deb joined us thursday nite as she had to work Australia day.
Friday morning,and the weather was the same if not worse,despite the forcast saying it would eze.We fished the same spot,plenty of KGs,but barely legal.We returned with only a decent Squid.
Saturday saw the predicted drop in the wind eventuate,we headed out to Mickealmuss/Breaksea Islands.found a nice coral bombie that rose from 20m deep to 7m and back down to 20m,HAD to have fish!!!
First drift saw 2 snags and a visit from marine and harbours to check safety gear and licences etc,nice chaps.
I re-rigged the lines and we set for a second drift.Lindsay hooked up,after a fair fight he landed his best ever catch,a 71cm Queen Snapper.He was quite impressed!!!!
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/05/674.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/01/185.jpg

Next drift,it was Debs turn,a 52cm Harlequin Fish,nice way to christen the rod and reel:cool::cool::cool::cool:.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/05/675.jpg
On the next drift it was my turn,a little 32cm Blackarse(Breaksea Cod).Looks tiny compared to their fish:mad::mad::mad::mad:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/05/676.jpg

The bobing up and down on the 3m swell took its toll,both Deb and Lindsay had their fish and wanted out,both feeling sea-sick.
We left the fish biting!!!!
Great weekend away,shame about the wind,it is NORMAL for Albany this time of year.
It was Debs first outing on the boat and she enjoyed it:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:Im hoping we can get away at easter.
Andrew

Pedro_The_Swift
29th January 2012, 04:38 PM
Should get a nice feed out of those Andy:cool:
That Harlequin is a magic looking fish:o

LandyAndy
29th January 2012, 06:30 PM
That Harlequin fish was an arsey catch,Deb had hooked a small wrasse.The said small wrasse couldnt swim away due to the lead sinker.Mr Harley took a munch of poor old Nemo and found the hook:cool::cool::cool::cool:She had 2 fish on the 1 hook:cool::cool::cool:
Lindsay also hooked something BIG,like a shark or something.It smoked him for 5 mins,retrieved the line,got smoked again,retrieved the line got smoked again,started complaining his arms were aching so mum was helping him then they lost it.Whatever it was straightened out a 7/0 circle hook:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Andrew

Pedro_The_Swift
29th January 2012, 07:15 PM
kudo's to whoever tied the knots;):p

LandyAndy
29th January 2012, 07:35 PM
kudo's to whoever tied the knots;):p

ME:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
In the past poor knots have cost me dearly.I tie all my rigs at the kitchen table now in front of the computer so I get it rite every time.
Last 2 trips out mates commented that my knots were good as we straightened hooks both trips;);););)
I had a shop bought rig on saturday,LUCKILY as a pelican that was annoying us took off as I cast.Was only my little rod with 10lb braid,it was peeling it off.Anyhow Mr Percival set the hook in a wing,he crashed upside down in the ocean thankfully the shop bought rig snaped at a tie and I lost no braid:cool::cool::cool::cool:
Pesty Pelican looked awesome as it did 3 rolls before crashing.He seemed to recover OK and was back trying to steal fish soon after.
Andrew

bblaze
29th January 2012, 10:28 PM
reckon that shark had a photographic memory andy and remember ya boat and was just teasing you. Nice feed of fish, did you get a feed of whiting too or were they too small
cheers
blaze

k1000o
30th January 2012, 12:28 AM
(...) https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/05/674.jpg (...)
I think Lindsay's grown up heaps Andrew!
(I mean he's taller and pretty fatter :D:D:D, he's getting his father shape ain't he? :wasntme:)

Anyway, great fishing!

Regards to Deb and Lindsay,
Cam
:)

Aaron40
30th January 2012, 01:09 PM
NICE FISH! Well done! Glad you had a good time fishing!:D:D:D

Shortie
30th January 2012, 03:14 PM
Good catch, you did better than I did in Kalgan River - all mine went back to grow up :dbcry:

LandyAndy
30th January 2012, 06:57 PM
reckon that shark had a photographic memory andy and remember ya boat and was just teasing you. Nice feed of fish, did you get a feed of whiting too or were they too small
cheers
blaze

Only on decent KG Robbie,yes Lindsay caught that one too:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Andrew

LandyAndy
30th January 2012, 06:59 PM
Camillo.
Lindsay now makes me look small;););););)
Wait till he starts drinking pints he will be HUGE;););););)
Andrew

CraigE
30th January 2012, 11:39 PM
ANDY..........YOU SUCK.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
We spent Australia Day driving back to Newman.

isuzurover
30th January 2012, 11:50 PM
Nice work Andy!

Btw - thanks for that garlic - best I have ever eaten!!!

Roasted some in the oven tonight.

Pilbara130
31st January 2012, 04:27 PM
Top stuff Andy.

Always sucks leaving while the fish are bitting but least you know they will be there when you return.
You Hope:p

Dan

k1000o
1st February 2012, 03:46 AM
Camillo.
Lindsay now makes me look small;););););)
Wait till he starts drinking pints he will be HUGE;););););)
Andrew
Hahahaha!!! I think so! :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Cam
:)