PDA

View Full Version : are britpart pistons any good

hot rover
6th February 2012, 09:48 PM
I have just received the pistons for my 2.25 rebuild. The pistons I was supplied with were britpart. I know nothing of the brand. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to spend the money and effort on rebuilding the engine to find out the parts were crap.
Cheers.
Rod

rick130
7th February 2012, 06:36 AM
It depends on who Britpart bought them off as they are just a UK parts wholesaler like Allmakes4x4 and Bearmach, who put other manufacturers bits in their box.

Have a look on the pistons, there should be an identifying name or mark on them.
eg. Mahle have their name stamped on their pistons, KolbenSchmidt as used in the Tdi's, they will have a 'KS' stamp or mark on them somewhere, etc.

VK3UTE
8th February 2012, 05:56 PM
I fitted britpart pistons in my diesel when I rebuilt her, the engine re conditioner I used mentioned their diameters varied by up to 4 thou. Based on this it is critical the bores are machine to the piston diameters and numbered for assembly, I also had the reconditions gap the rings to suit. The price difference from the britpart pistons to the locally supplied ones is huge so I took the punt. So far so good:angel:
Saying that I would probably shop around next time for better quality

hot rover
9th February 2012, 06:57 AM
I spoke to the supplier and they have used them in their own workshop with no problems. So I will give them a go.
Cheers
Rod