PDA

View Full Version : ARB or OL Deluxe Bull Bar for Disco 3

Steve223
12th February 2012, 06:09 PM
Hello Together,

I would like to fit a bull bar on to my recently acquired Disco 3 TD6 and tossing between the Opposite Lock and ARB bar.

Does anyone have suggestion or can tell me the pro and cons?

Thanks a lot

Steve

D3mike
12th February 2012, 07:12 PM
Steve - I recently put an ARB bullbar on the D3 TDV6 SE. I have a friend that put an OL on his D4 earlier last year. They look pretty similar and serve the same purpose and both have winches.

I chose the ARB as I liked the look of it better aesthetically, and also got a break on the unit as I also had ARB do the whole hog with Bar, winch, snorkel, kaymar rear w tyre & jerrycan and long range tank - one stop shop all in 3 days - saving me time taking from 3rd party to 3rd party.

I am really happy with overall job. Just make sure that they cut the front fender to leave 10mm clear to the top of the bar as my friend w/ the OL bar had to have his fenders recut to correct length as they rubbed the top of the bar and left scratches :-( to his D4 bar.

In the end comes down to cost I guess and make sure that the installers know what they are doing at the install. Also get them to check the blocks on the chassis when they install as mine were cracked and installer gave me a heads up and photos which I appreciated.

D3mike TDV6 SE with fixings!

Disco4SE
12th February 2012, 07:43 PM
Hi Steve,
I chose the OL bar over the ARB for the following reasons: -

The ARB wasnt available at the time.
The OL bar was cheaper.
The OL bar is powdercoated (more resistant to stone chips
). The ARB is primed then painted.
The OL bar has 3 aerial mounts. ARB has none.
OL bar has LED blinkers & lights.
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Craig

Robocop
12th February 2012, 11:24 PM
The bar for the disco 3/4 is the same bar now isn't it?

I'm in the middle of having the ARB bar fitted my D4. ARB colour matched the bar to the car colour and there are 2 aerial mounts one on either side of the bar on the outside of the headlights now. They're just having an issue fitting mine with the washer bottle being too low.

There is another thread on this only within a week ago.

Cheers Rob

Robocop
12th February 2012, 11:26 PM
Oh I forgot to mention the ARB bar uses your existing indicators & driving lamps.

Steve223
13th February 2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks a lot guy's, from my initial research I like the powder coated version of the OL bar but also came across the ECB bar now.

Would someone who has either bar fitted mind of posting a image?

Also thanks for the installation tip's will take that to whoever will install the bar.

Ivan
13th February 2012, 10:39 AM
Pictures of the OL Bar fitted to my D3.

Rgds

Ivan
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=40277&d=1319169125
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=40276&d=1319168897

Steve223
13th February 2012, 11:25 AM
great thanks a lot for the pics, are the small lights within the lower portion of the bar included or do you need to purchase them separately?

Ivan
13th February 2012, 01:36 PM
They were/are the factory fitted front fog lights.

Rgds

Ivan

oldsalt
13th February 2012, 02:06 PM
Here's mine with it's ARB bar fitted.
http://files.myopera.com/veedub5/albums/1286821/bull-bar-01.jpg

ososlo
13th February 2012, 04:13 PM
Hi,

I put a OL one on my D3 but got it color coded to the silver of the D3 as I thought the powder coated black was a bit strong...just my preference but it looks tidy and as has been noted it has bases for aerials and the spots.

I can take a close up if you want but I have attached a photo of the D3 up the tip...I think you can see it!

http://www.aulro.com/app/showphoto.php/photo/21221/title/dsc-2117/cat/500

Regards

Graeme
Gisborne
NZ

ososlo
13th February 2012, 04:18 PM
Just another thought on the front bar....When OL put my one on I had issues with the connections to the LED indicators..they had used poor connectors...half way through my trip we stopped off at a Landy workshop and cut the connectors off and soldered/heat shrunk the joins. I would suggest you do the same..like , how often are you going to take the bar off once it has been installed!!..Solid joints will avoid the connections breaking.

Good luck

Graeme

Redback
14th February 2012, 11:13 AM
Hi Steve,

The OL bar was cheaper.
OL bar also has surounds for the fog/driving lights in the bar to make them look neater and prevent rubbing/ breaking on the bar
Hope this helps.

Cheers, Craig

X2 + What I added in red

Baz.

trevorj
14th February 2012, 02:36 PM
Heres mine - ECB black gunmetal; no issues other than the sensors, which I have fully disabled. ECB claim sensors are easily fixed, but I can easily live without them, and havent bothered.

Steve223
19th February 2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks a lot for all the feedback, color code OL BB has been ordered and will be installed next friday so looking forward to it especially having a spot for my antenna for the Uniden UH7760NB.

Had the D3 remapped by Davis Performance last weeks which should equal the weight of the bull bar

Steve223
19th February 2012, 08:15 PM
Just another thought on the front bar....When OL put my one on I had issues with the connections to the LED indicators..they had used poor connectors...half way through my trip we stopped off at a Landy workshop and cut the connectors off and soldered/heat shrunk the joins. I would suggest you do the same..like , how often are you going to take the bar off once it has been installed!!..Solid joints will avoid the connections breaking.

Good luck

Graeme

great, that looks good will go with OL bar

winaje
21st July 2014, 04:18 PM
Apologies for necroing an old thread...

Any updates on this a couple of years on? Any issues with either bar, and an idea on prices of each?

Thanks

ADMIRAL
21st July 2014, 10:07 PM
I don't believe there was ever much in it. You do need to pick your outlet, as most issues aired on the forum, came from poor installation.
The OL bar has aerial mounts on the top bar, ( which I prefer ) The ARB does not have much in the way of aerial mounts at all.

The trim between the bar and lights is treated differently, but it pretty much comes down to personal preference.

Redback
22nd July 2014, 07:28 AM
Also the airial mounts have cutouts, to allow you to move the airial base out of the way if either removing the bar or removing the headlight out of the way.

Baz.

AnD3rew
22nd July 2014, 07:55 AM
Don't let the aerial mounts put you off if you like the look of the ARB bar. You can buy a very neat GME clamp on mount for about $25 - 30 if you want to relocate the aerial to the top of the bar which is what I did. I still prefer the look of the ARB bar.

discotwinturbo
22nd July 2014, 09:58 AM
When you look at the ol and arb side by side, the ol bar is a better finish.

Fog lights and blinkers are flush due to rubber surrounds (arb has big gaps around these), the welding below the bar where the panels cover the water bottle is quite rough on the arb bar (but heavier steel than the ol), and the finish below the headlights is better on the ol bar....all of which surprised me based on past arb quality.

Have recently had 3 arb bars side by side to compare and each time notice something different.

Aerial mounts (with cable access) complete the package without having add on brackets.

Arb could/should have done a better job.

Brett....

winaje
22nd July 2014, 10:18 AM
Have just got prices.

As at 22/07/2014:

ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, in Black $2230 fitted
ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, in colour $2515 fitted

Opposite Lock Winch Bar in colour $2310 fitted including spots

Looks to me like the OL is the winner on price alone, apart from the fact that it seems to have a better fit/finish, be more practical, and look better.

Geedublya
22nd July 2014, 12:12 PM
Make sure that the shop fitting the bar has:

a) Fitted the same bar to your model of vehicle previously

b) will wire up the lights and indicators in a neat and professional way

c) will cut the flares appropriately and not leave a huge and unsightly gap

After you have it fitted check that it is level and even left to right. If you are fitting a winch ensure that there is clearance between it and the body work.

I spent a day fixing the wiring (much harder to do after bar is fitted) and aligning the bar. I made them supply new flares since mine were cut leaving 25-30mm clearance. It still isn't perfect, when I fit the new flares I will adjust the alignment a bit more.

Personally I've had both bars, ARB on a D3 and OL on a D4, I would go with whoever you think will fit it best.
It is worth paying extra to have the bar and electrics done properly.

Graeme
22nd July 2014, 07:46 PM
Are you not able to fit a bar yourself? I did mine alone and whilst my ECB is alloy, it seems that the steel bars aren't much heavier.

LandyAndy
22nd July 2014, 10:22 PM
Those prices are good.
I recently got a ECB alloy bar for our Territory,I opted for free delivery instead of $150 to fit as we live in the country.
Would have HAPPILY paid to get it fitted for $150 after doing it myself!!!!!
The bar was $2000.
Andrew

Tombie
23rd July 2014, 11:04 AM
Hi Steve,

The OL bar was cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Craig

Craig the ARB bar is Primed and Powder coated, then you can have colour coding on top - just like the other unit.

Other than that its up to the buyer as to whether the other factors come into play.

Tombie
23rd July 2014, 11:17 AM
My pieces on this:

I got offered a better price on supply only for the ARB over the OL bar.

The ARB bar 'sounds' more solid - tapping both bars resulting in a higher 'ting' on the OL.
The factory lights in the ARB dont flush up, and this helps when youre plowing mud / sand - Ive never had a problem with lights, but my travelling companions have broken fog lights from mud build up getting forced into them and breaking (on the flush type versions)
The under bar plates are a better fit on the ARB IMO.
All the OL bars at work have regular LED failure - either a few emitters or the entire light fail - A pita.
Several OL bars at work seem to fatigue and crack at the base of the bars, corner of the blade or mounts - likely not a problem for people who spend most of their time using it onroad but we are always rewelding them.
I upgraded the lights in the ARB to LED bulbs - cheaper and easier to replace.

I do like the finisher under the lights on the OL bar

I dont like antenna mounts that close to the bonnet on the top bar - a small strike will dent the bonnet - so happy to use the corner blade mount with the GME antenna (plus bonus is its a corner marker for offroad clearance :)

At the end of the day - best deal, and your taste really comes into it.

Hopefully no one will need to ever test their gear.

BMKal
23rd July 2014, 12:58 PM
Hey Tombie,

The bars up on Cockatoo Island don't seem to be standing up to the conditions too well. :twisted:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/07/311.jpg

winaje
23rd July 2014, 01:31 PM
Have been quoted $1550 for Opposite Lock in basic black, plus $100 for them to supply spots. Extra $450 for colour coding... They were kind enough to provide the installation instructions, which I have uploaded.
Opposite Lock Discovery 3 and 4 bullbar fitting instructions: https://app.box.com/s/617nviv065gzt0o5p2wh

Tombie
23rd July 2014, 01:39 PM
Have been quoted $1550 for Opposite Lock in basic black, plus $100 for them to supply spots. Extra $450 for colour coding... They were kind enough to provide the installation instructions, which I have uploaded.
Opposite Lock Discovery 3 and 4 bullbar fitting instructions: https://app.box.com/s/617nviv065gzt0o5p2wh

When / If you get it colour coded...

I have seen a few done where the coded the lower removable panels as well.
It looks ridiculous... Just Colour code the blade upwards ;)

winaje
23rd July 2014, 01:42 PM
When / If you get it colour coded...
At this stage I'm unlikely to colour code, figure with the instructions I can install a black one myself and save $700 :D

Tombie
23rd July 2014, 01:43 PM
Those install instructions aren't really very comprehensive...

Nothing about the wiring install etc...

Not really helpful for the home installer :angel:

Geedublya
23rd July 2014, 01:56 PM
The Opposite lock fitting instructions suck.... Download the ARB ones if you are doing it yourself. My installer tried to tell me that the instructions specified the gap to the flares when I got the O/L instructions it wasn't even mentioned.

winaje
23rd July 2014, 02:19 PM
ARB Discovery 3 and Discovery 4 winch bar installation instructions:
https://app.box.com/s/uq327kkum25t4gsnzmof

TerryO
23rd July 2014, 03:46 PM
Hey Tombie,

The bars up on Cockatoo Island don't seem to be standing up to the conditions too well. :twisted:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2014/07/311.jpg

Forget the rusty dust colouring for a moment but that actually looks like rust where the outriggers have let go from the main rail.

RickO
24th July 2014, 06:14 AM
hello everyone,

I was told yesterday by a very helpful gentlemen at Bentleigh ARB that they have just started receiving new deluxe winch bars for D4s which now have laser cut holes for the factory front parking sensors (ARB stores previously drilled the holes themselves). These new new laser cut holes are expected to sort out the previous issues.

Based on the first bar that had been installed recently, and yes, I know it's only one in a row (a fact which the ARB was happy to tell me), he did say that the indications are extremely positive that the variable fitting results may be a thing of the past.

In order to help fix the sensors in place, they also remove the sensor mounts from the OEM bumper and refit these to the bull bar in order to minimise the chance of movement.

I'll be calling back in the next month or two to check on the success of subsequent fittings to see if the nagging problems have been solved.

Watch this space....

RickO

Bas

101RRS
24th July 2014, 09:59 AM
If it is important just be aware that all Aussie sold ARB bars are made in the Aussie ARB factory but all OL bars are made overseas in SE Asia (Thailand I think).

Shouldn't be an issue as long as Aussie QC standards apply to the OL bar - which they seem to.

Garry

Redback
24th July 2014, 10:43 AM
If it is important just be aware that all Aussie sold ARB bars are made in the Aussie ARB factory but all OL bars are made overseas in SE Asia (Thailand I think).

Shouldn't be an issue as long as Aussie QC standards apply to the OL bar - which they seem to.

Garry

We got one of the last Aussie made OL Bars fitted to our D4, they were made at Outback Accessories in WA, as far as I can tell, they are identical to the new bars, the D3/4 rear bars are made by Outback in WA for OL, good looking bar too, shame they weren't available when we got our D4.

Baz.

Meccles
24th July 2014, 11:15 AM
If anyone is interested I have OL bar brand new color coded Ipanema Sand (but could be re painted any color) sitting at OL Nerang. Was going to fit it to RRS but given recent discussion on this plus Firefox's issues decided not to. Will do a deal on it if anyone wants to pm me

Tombie
24th July 2014, 11:52 AM
Forget the rusty dust colouring for a moment but that actually looks like rust where the outriggers have let go from the main rail.

What usually happens is they fatigue and crack - followed by rust and further failure...

winaje
7th August 2014, 11:18 AM
I strolled into OL Mitcham recently knowing that they had a D4 HSE winch bar in stock that had been there for a while. Managed to get it with spots for $1250 in black. Good deal!

Redback
7th August 2014, 03:33 PM
I strolled into OL Mitcham recently knowing that they had a D4 HSE winch bar in stock that had been there for a while. Managed to get it with spots for $1250 in black. Good deal!

Next time I'm in the market for an accessory I'll give you a call, so you can get me a bargain.

The man with the golden tongue is what you are;)

Baz.

winaje
7th August 2014, 04:20 PM
Next time I'm in the market for an accessory I'll give you a call, so you can get me a bargain.

The man with the golden tongue is what you are;)

Baz.

I'd better not tell you about some of the other bargains I've gotten recently then lol