PDA

View Full Version : "First Overland" Film - Two Series 1 LR's drive London to Singapore

Judo
27th February 2012, 11:02 AM
Weekend just gone I went to the first Adventure Travel Film Festival in Bright, Victoria. The Adventure Travel Film Festival 2012 USA, Australia and UK (http://www.adventuretravelfilmfestival.com/)

It was a great relaxing weekend drinking beer, listening to guest speakers and watching some films. The highlight was a moonlight screening of the "First Overland" film.

All Land Rover owners should watch this!! It's two Series 1 LR's in 1955 drive from London to Singapore. Colour film, but sound wasn't recorded so there is commentary by the cameraman years later when it was remastered and made into a DVD.

'First Overland' Home Page (http://www.teeafit.co.uk/firstoverland/)

Lotz-A-Landies
27th February 2012, 11:23 AM
Actually the person who put the DVD together was not one of the cameramen/expedition members but Graeme Aldous a Land Rover Series One enthusiast in the UK and former BBC producer with his own production company. As a lad Graeme saw the First Overland expedition drive through his town, and later read the Tim Slessor book.

What Graeme did was to get the footage from the BBC archive and edit it into a continuous film. He then gathered the surviving expedition members together and sit them down watching the footage and record their recollections of what was screening in front of them. Graeme then edited the full recording into the DVD we can see (and purchase) today.

Yes I have a copy, one of the very early copies.

BTW: Graeme has a 107 wagon that was a BBC outside broadcast van.

Diana

grey_ghost
27th February 2012, 11:26 AM
Hi All,
I recently purchased this DVD from Home Page (http://www.pitstop.net.au) ($39.95).
And I purchased the book off E-Bay ages ago.
Regards,
The Grey Ghost!

4x4 MORE
1st December 2014, 08:30 PM
Any Recent reviews of this flim? what's it like:)

Landy Smurf
1st December 2014, 08:46 PM
I got it for my dad a few years ago and we both enjoyed it.

Redback
2nd December 2014, 12:29 PM
Actually the person who put the DVD together was not one of the cameramen/expedition members but Graeme Aldous a Land Rover Series One enthusiast in the UK and former BBC producer with his own production company. As a lad Graeme saw the First Overland expedition drive through his town, and later read the Tim Slessor book.

What Graeme did was to get the footage from the BBC archive and edit it into a continuous film. He then gathered the surviving expedition members together and sit them down watching the footage and record their recollections of what was screening in front of them. Graeme then edited the full recording into the DVD we can see (and purchase) today.

Yes I have a copy, one of the very early copies.

BTW: Graeme has a 107 wagon that was a BBC outside broadcast van.

Diana

I thought it was David Attenborough:confused:

Rextheute
2nd December 2014, 02:05 PM
I'm at present on a short holiday at Barwon Heads , reading the book and wishing great adventures could still be had !
And yes , I know they can but I'm replying on a phone with full internet access, anything I need to know can be found whilst sipping a beer beside the seaside , no need to go to library and research . The book is an interesting read from many perspectives not just coz its a book with land rovers in it , they travelled throuands which have on the most part changed names and governments ( there are some similarities in the Middle Eastern domains - nothing has really changed there ....)
It's written in a friendly fashion and you find yourself doing voices for all the characters- who are real people . And that's the difference these guys were only early 20's the oldest was 25 . Nowadays they would need a gap year and Facebook with some crowd funding , these lads invented crowd funding !
Aside from my ramblings its a great book ! !

incisor
2nd December 2014, 02:11 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10403061_10152955553602975_1192535678410034189_n.j pg?oh=35952b164eff1d574b6088205cd28252&oe=54D4136F&__gda__=1427074937_31e42764484058924a0655f6e609151 5

Redback
2nd December 2014, 02:17 PM
Trailer

First Overland Trailer - 1955 - YouTube

The putting together

Oxford and Cambridge Land Rover "First Overland" Expedition 1955 - YouTube