PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads for D3?

jik22
28th February 2012, 12:05 PM
Just wondering what the best makes are for normal road use, and also after a sensibly priced supplier for them? (Perth or mail order is fine)

Thanks!

wardh
28th February 2012, 11:48 PM
Hi Jeff

Not sure if there is much choice for brake pads. Bendix list them, they also do them in a 4WD version. Check the Bendix site

Try Brettstruck.com.au for online pads, the part numbers are (front) DB1780. (rear) DB1781

Cheers

Howard

bbyer
29th February 2012, 12:46 AM
A few weeks back I installed ceramic brake pads front and rear. They feel softer, (not spongy, just softer), than the OEM semi metallics? but still seem to stop the 3 OK. The absence of black dust on the wheels is the only real obvious change.

The brake pads are the Akebono Euro brand, part # EUR1098 on the front and EUR1099 on the rear. For rotors, I stayed with the OEM solid vented units rather than any drilled, dimpled or slotted variations. I have the gasoline 4.4L V8 engine.

400HPONGAS
29th February 2012, 08:18 PM
I wonder if these so-called "Kevlar" pads are the same .I(no black dust on rims) use them with Slotted rotors and the braking is better than standard.Getting another set ,4 slotted discs and front/rear pads to fit next week to mates D3 SE TDV6. total parts cost = $610
these are the Pads.
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-Series-3-Rear-Brake-Pad-Set-/200663714807?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb87d4bf7)

RichardK
29th February 2012, 10:04 PM
Jeff, try Marfleet Distributing in Edward St East Perth, I get the originals there (can't think of the name but come in a red box and complete with new bolts and SS spring plates)
Usually pay around $72 a set.

By the original the pads are the same name brand as the callipers

discotwinturbo
29th February 2012, 11:57 PM
Jeff, try Marfleet Distributing in Edward St East Perth, I get the originals there (can't think of the name but come in a red box and complete with new bolts and SS spring plates)
Usually pay around $72 a set.

Rda pads I think.

bbyer
1st March 2012, 12:08 AM
I wonder if these so-called "Kevlar" pads are the same. I (no black dust on rims) use them with Slotted rotors and the braking is better than standard. The link below is to an EBC article re Kevlar vs ceramic vs organic pads.

Ceramic Brake Pads article | EBC Brakes (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive_product_news/ceramic_brake_pads.shtml)

The bottom line seems to be the element of trust. Brake pad quality, like many other items seem to come down to formulation, quality control, and place of manufacture.

I know that when I glanced at the ceramic pads prior to them being installed, I guess I was disappointed. I think I was expecting some sort of bright white pad material sparkling with I suppose flecks of space shuttle nose cone within, but instead the pads were a dull black porous looking blob glued to a dull metal plate with numbers painted on; no obvious brand name identification and like the discs, the box they came in was just a box with numbers on it as well. I gather that sometimes the discs come in a box with all the little logos but with the box I received, inside. The term, "Box Engineering" comes to mind.

Sadie
1st March 2012, 10:39 AM
My mechanic recently recommended replacing all four rotors and pads on my D3. At around $1000 (including fitting) I figured I'd wait till the light comes on on the dash. 7500 mms later and it still hasn't! Is that price about right? There was only about $200 labor in the quote, and I really can't be bothered doing it myself...

~Rich~
1st March 2012, 10:54 AM
The brake rotors are actually quite cheap, my mechanic said the fronts where $87 each and the rears even cheaper.

I like the sound of those Akebono Euro brand, part # EUR1098 on the front and EUR1099 on the rear, pity I cannot find a supplier here in Aus.
Looks like you can buy the fronts from Amazon but not the rears. :(

400HPONGAS
1st March 2012, 11:27 AM
The Slotted RDA discs are far superior and are only $120 a Disc .By the way your Mechanic is wrong , the rears are always more expensive due to the extra machining required to run the the Park Brake drum brake.

~Rich~
1st March 2012, 11:32 AM
https://bputah.com/

Select LR3 / Discovery Parts
Select Brake Rotors for a quick comparison.

V8 genuine yes the rears are slightly more expensive, TDV6 no.

unseenone
1st March 2012, 01:04 PM
I replaced the LR OEM rotors with EBC at 20k miles. Several "green stuff" pad changes later, at 100k (miles) the EBC dimpled and slotted rotors are still great. The OEM rotors (front) were shot at 21k.

What I like, is that you simply give them a light turn at each pad fitting, and they last and last. I held my breath at the price of them at first, but all and all, I think I have more than saved the extra cash over the LR ones.

They surely have a little less dust than originals, but they still do get some dust.

Tinman
1st March 2012, 01:13 PM
Have got the third set of pads on still the same rotors as I don't have them machine, still within tolerance, as this takes away the harder outer surface exposing a softer surface which wears quite a lot quicker. I think that when you put your vehicle in for brake pad change they do the maching anyway. I purchase my pads from T&R Spares at Padstow ( they will post out if you wish) the last set cost me $56 for the front and $88 for the rear. When you change your front and rear pads you normally change the sender units as most of the time you take them off they break due to the heat of the pads on them as they are made of a hard plastic. I think they are about $26 each. There is only one on the front and one on the rear so only 2 pads send the signal. I have found the pads without the sensors had more wear so if they had the sensors on these pads the warning light would have been on for some time. So it's best to check both sides and not rely on the warning light.
Cheers Tinman

bbyer
1st March 2012, 01:38 PM
the link below is to an Excel spreadsheet that I made up listing part numbers and prices for various brands. I would not pay too much attention to the prices as they are a mix of US and Canadian dollar pricing and of differing time frames. The part numbers are or were correct at the time of doing of the spreadsheet a few months back. Note the part numbers refer to the NAS LR3 with the 4.4L petrol V8.

You can download the spread sheet and then modify to suit your requirements. Amazon probably has both the front and rear pads available if you ask plus I would think that the Akebono / Euro brand stuff should be available in Australia somewhere. As best I can tell, the Euro discs are the LR OEM discs as sometimes they show up in LR marked boxes.

Ideally you want to purchase locally, at least for the rotors, as shipping cast iron is never cheap. If all else fails, the LR OEM solid vented is not that bad a rotor.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/15405/LR3_Brake_Parts_Pricing_a.xls

400HPONGAS
1st March 2012, 05:03 PM
Thats nice BByer and Rich , but mostly illrelevant to TDV6 owners in AUSTRALIA .For myself . Im not interested in what suits 4.4 V8's in North America , as the main Parts required eg discs and pads , (Just how many TDV6 and V6 petrols have actually been sold in the US anyway ? answer , NO diesels and a handful of V6's !)are different and not found in the US . .Besides shipping heavy parts in like brake discs can make any saving over Australian sourced parts ,very marginal ,apart from any warranty issues.

~Rich~
1st March 2012, 05:33 PM
Our point was not to say order parts overseas, even if the discs are $120 each plus $200? labour that is still way short of the $1000 quoted to Sadie. But if it includes brake pads and sensors it's closer to the mark.

RichardK
1st March 2012, 06:52 PM
The brake pads from Marfleet were TRW which is the same as the calipers I have on the D3

jik22
8th March 2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks all - completely forgot to come back and update the thread!

Pads are now ordered from Bretts Truck Parts (Done before I saw some of the other posts) but a further complication was when I went to book in to have them fitted, my regular mechanic has buggered off to the mines!!

So next question - decent LR mechanic in Perth to fit them and do a service. Car is out of warranty so don't need anyone "certified", just good, reasonably priced and trustworthy!!