PDA

View Full Version : D3 Multiple Lost Module Communications

Mully
15th March 2012, 11:45 PM
Howdy all...

have 2005 D3 that started with some bing bongs from a suspension dash alarm. Sometimes went red and told me the car would be limited and all that but it still drove fine. Wouldn't always do this party trick but probably about 3 out 5 drives over a 2 week period it would talk to you like this.

Anyway one nice morning (after a big rain) I get loads of dash alarms as soon as I go to start her up as though another alternator has died but voltages appear fine. Brake globes are fine and they come on and off and I've cleaned out the brake switch until I can grab a new one however.... the Faultmate reports lost comms for all the modules reporting as fails on the Christmas dash light show and a typical report is here:

LOST COMMUNICATION WITH TRANSFER CASE CONTROL MODULE -:U0102
GENERAL SIGNAL FAILURE - SIGNAL IS ERRATIC. (PERMANENT)

RECORD TYPE: 16
SAMPLE 1
TIME ELAPSED SINCE THE FAULT STORED IS: 2376days 22hours 22minutes 10sec 9milisec
STORED ODOMETER VALUE: 0KM / 0 M
DISTANCE TRAVELLED SINCE FAULT STORED: 178934 KM / 110939 M
MAIN ECU SUPPLY VOLTAGE: 11.75V
ENGINE RUNING STATUS: NOT RUNNING
ENGINE CRANK STATUS: NOT CRANKING
OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE : 19°C

I've done hard resets and all the basic stuff and the ECU next to the battery is dry as a bone but figured I still need to check the pins for corrosion etc. Hoping it's not a genuine failed ECU but it seems quite sudden for multiple unit failure so am hoping for something a bit more common to them all.

Anyone else seen this issue of permanent lost comms? The time elapsed also makes me wonder and I still have hope for a simple brake switch swap result assuming a simple clean up wasn't enough.

I am wondering also due to the multiple nature of the failures if it all has started in the ABS module as that appear to be the first module in the high speed CAN and from what I can tell, the failed modules are looped from the ABS module.

Thanks a heap for any tips folks....

Graeme
16th March 2012, 05:12 AM
When you say the ecu next to the battery, I assume you mean a 2nd battery fitted near the brake master cylinder as that ecu is the transfer case module. Therefore I think you are looking in the right spot, at least to start with. Check any earth posts nearby for being tight. The TC ecu is known to not like water but I don't know if that's due to connection problems or if the ecu actually gets damaged. You could try some electrical contact cleaner on the TC connector. As the fault increased in frequency rather than immediately permanent, a poor connection is more likely the cause than a failing ecu. However due to multiple lost comms, a connection fault could easily be somewhere else.

Mully
16th March 2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks Graeme for the input.
I was meaning the ECU near the main battery that looks like a terminal block almost. It's mounted to the side of the battery tray so to speak...lots of wires in from the top and not a lot of insulation to keep moisture out. It looks fine but figured it worth checking the connections today.
I'll be looking closely at the TC ECU for sure after your suggestion.
Cheers.

Graeme
16th March 2012, 12:18 PM
On my D4 that looks to be a loom connector and as it doesn't have any light gauge and twisted pair canbus wires out the top I doubt its the source of the faults.

NavyDiver
16th March 2012, 01:32 PM
Hi Mully, do you have an electronic brake controler on? Mine gave me some grief breifly after the battery had been disconected.

outasight
16th March 2012, 04:44 PM
Just a silly left field suggestion, and only as I'm sure I've read it on here somewhere before, & although I know you said your alternator output seems fine, BUT what about a dodgy battery???

As I said, I'm sure I've seen reference to all sorts of warnings, error messages etc. just due to a poor battery. Even your list above does say 11.75v as ECU supply voltage - not the best I would have thought ...

Regards,

Les.

stig0000
16th March 2012, 05:42 PM
id have to look at all the codes,, cant work off just one code, but look for battery acid leaking on to the TCCM, very commen,

seen a few were the harniss as actuly been eaten away,

Graeme
16th March 2012, 05:58 PM
Even your list above does say 11.75v as ECU supply voltageI missed that!

Mully
16th March 2012, 06:10 PM
Hey guys thanks a bunch for all the messages, very appreciated.

I've just got back inside from fixing a loom chewed by rodents! When removing the battery (I have a massive BMW AGM battery nowadays that is brilliant) to check the ECU located behind it, there is a loom connector at the bottom rear that had a load of chewed wires. One wire was even laying by itself in a one inch length completely separated from the loom... they were having a good munch it appears.

I still needed the Faultmate to clear the big F message but all the errors are gone and I'll take her for a spin tomorrow to see how she goes while hoping some other niggles are now also gone.

Will still also replace the brake switch anyway although it serviced up ok but one contact in there is certainly under rated.

What a saga... but I will definitely state for the record that the looms are very ordinary on such an electrically featured vehicle. I was stunned by all the loomed cables left dangling and exposed throughout the under bonnet areas. Not quite the standard of cabling I expected to see...even in a British build. :)

If anyone wants some pix of the rodent meal, let me know and I can whack some snaps up.

Thanks a heap again one and all for taking the time to give input.

Mully
16th March 2012, 06:15 PM
I should also update too that the apparent low voltage is typical of what I've seen since day one. There are few things like this I've found that can send you on a goose chase with diagnostics on this truck and Faultmate but definitely worth identifying.

And yes Graeme it is a loom connector sorry. I saw all the wires when looking for the ECU and thought that was it before digging deeper. Doh!

The ECU I was looking for was in the big and very un-IP rated box behind the battery. Would like to see some mod options to sort that ECU box out...that's for sure.

Cheers!

NavyDiver
17th March 2012, 08:40 AM
chewed by rodents!

And I thought it sounded fishy :D. I was wrong - it was a rat:D:D:D
Glad you found your problem. It drives me nuts when you have a issue untill it can be "Trapped":D

Mully
17th March 2012, 09:07 AM
...and the gags begin! :)

I'm hoping it explains a few of the front end 'squeaks' too!

Cheers!

outasight
17th March 2012, 10:00 AM
The kind of fault you could really sink your teeth into ... :angel:

Regards,

Les.

Hillan
18th March 2012, 11:19 AM
sounds like this happened to me too.. although we havent found the cause yet.

here is my blog:

After doing much research I convinced my husband to buy me a Land Rover Disco 3. We have had it just under 2 months.

Last week we were bogged in soft sand for 4 hours. Basically numerous electrical faults suspended traction control and look it from 4wd to 2wd. We were winched out by a Cruiser (very embarrasing) and floored it down the beach until we got to a safe zone.

A new battery went in on Wed, followed by an alternator on Thurs. If that was meant to fix the computer problems it didnt which led our lovely mechanics to the transfer case $$$$.

The shaft on the transfer case was jammed due to the beach incident and that was sending all the faults to the alternator and battery. So that was unjammed this morning by another land rover enthusiast who came in to RoverTech just to do the job.

However this afternoon, all the faults are back (HTS, Transmission, Park) and its stuck in low range.

Im asking myself if there is something bigger going on?

So you can imagine that my husband wants to sell it, even after all the gear we have put on it. As he works away and I have little family in Perth we need a reliable 4wd.

Does anyone else have advice/experience of the same thing happening?

400HPONGAS
19th March 2012, 03:01 PM
yeah,tell Kev to pull the battery and chase the looms !The rats didnt get into anything serious yet, just took up position on the pollen filter and preceded to eat it !!!
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/03/601.jpg

Mully
19th March 2012, 10:13 PM
Hillan that sounds kinda odd for example that they swapped out the battery and alternator as they are easy things to check without diagnostics and that hasn't fixed anything. Your faults can be symptomatic of them as faults but there is definitely something else going on there with it being stuck in low range.

A Faultmate should show what's going on and it's possibly electrically related somewhere or something somewhere is telling the car it is supposed to be in low range. Sounds strange too that the sand has jammed a shaft on the transfer case etc... you really need someone familiar the D3 to sort this out. There have very peculiar issues like most vehicles and you certainly have to have someone in the know to be able to deal with them to get an accurate and speedy resolution.. or be prepared to learn them yourself armed with the right tools.

I hope you get this sorted and if you were near us i would be happy to assist.

Ponga that photo looks like the filter stopped 'em from getting into the truck further... just like a fluffy force field!!

Cheers.