PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Suggestions??

101RRS
8th April 2012, 05:38 PM
My old Nokia 6120 has always been a piece of crap and it is time to replace it.

I do not need a smart phone as I have no data usage (and do not want any) and my current phone plan is pay for phone calls only and I intend to keep it that way.

I carry my phone with me all the time (top pocket) and it does get knocked around a bit - I have busted a few screens in the past.

So my basic requirements are:

Must be robust,
Must have a Qty type keypad,
Have a very good camera - minimum 5mp and hopefully a good lens.
Be value for money.
Not too large.
GPS that works outside of mobile range - ie has its own maps onboard not being used via data download.

Looked at the following:

HTC Wildfire S - main issue is the slow operation of functions
HTC Desire S - is OK but nothing special
IPhone 4 - too expensive
Samsung Galaxy S2 - a bit pricey for my use and far more capable than I need but has a good camera and generally ticks the boxes.

With a good case to protect it I am leaning towards the Samsung even though it is far more than I wanted to pay but I would appreciate thoughts on other options that I may have missed.

Thanks

Garry

goingbush
8th April 2012, 05:57 PM
Just curious,

you say you don't want a smartphone, but you need GPS and a qty keyboard and all the phones in your list are smartphones.

If you just want a good Robust phone you need to narrow your search to 'Robust" or "Tradies" phones.

My ZTE / Telstra Tough 2 is very rugged but only has a 3mp camera, Ive dropped it dozens of times & is unmarked. Tho Its a PITA to send texts with, so I'll be getting the Telstra Active Touch next as its the only smart phone I can find that is Blue Tick & has an external antenna port.

My wife has a LG Optimus P690 , Telstra Blue Tick and it is way better than expected , has been dropped a few times too. Only issue is the battery does not last like our previous non smart phones.

101RRS
8th April 2012, 06:20 PM
you say you don't want a smartphone, but you need GPS and a qty keyboard and all the phones in your list are smartphones.

As I said I don't need a smart phone as such (one that can surf the web and download etc) but my research so far has only shown that smart phones have what I am after.

Happy to look at other options - hence the post.

PS - Just had a look at the T28 - on a quick overview seems to tick the boxes - I will investigate further.

Thanks

Garry

scarry
8th April 2012, 07:36 PM
For the last few yrs i have used the Samsung B2700,ithink the new model is B2710.Dunno if it does what you want,but are very good.Dropped them a lot,never had a problem.I actually wear the keys out ,never had the phone actually fail.
They do occasionally lock up & then restart themselves,but this happens rarely,never a real issue. It may have something to do with the hands free Parrot i have them paired to.

Compared with the Nokia tradesman phones we had before,the Samsung is light yrs ahead.
We buy them outright,around $200,the new model may be a little cheaper.

Ranga
8th April 2012, 10:45 PM
What about a Motorola Defy? Getting cheaper now, and pretty rugged.

goingbush
8th April 2012, 11:15 PM
As I said I don't need a smart phone as such (one that can surf the web and download etc) but my research so far has only shown that smart phones have what I am after.

Happy to look at other options - hence the post.

PS - Just had a look at the T28 - on a quick overview seems to tick the boxes - I will investigate further.

Thanks

Garry

I was like you & resisting the need for a smartphone

If you want to use the GPS / Maps function you will need to get a browsing plan, they don't have to be expensive, I have the $10.00 for 3Gb monthly postpaid , because the phone downloads google maps data as you go, I could be wrong but I don't think they store the maps in the sense of a proper GPS.

but since it looks like you will be getting a smart phone you should think about a data plan because if you don't the data use is mega expensive, I think 3Gb will be heaps for my use which includes occasional hotspot tether so I can use my Laptop whilst on the road.

Ranga
8th April 2012, 11:24 PM
You don't need a data plan, there's software that store the maps on the phone.

I use Sygic for on-road and Oziexplorer or Android for off-road.

Sent from the dodgy keyboard on my phone via Tapatalk

33chinacars
8th April 2012, 11:51 PM
Currently I'm testing a Sonim XP3300 Force phone. Only GSM not 3G at the moment. They hope to release a 3G phone mid year. Super tough tradie phone. Has GPS but haven't used it. And only 2 mp camera. Not cheap but I would still recomend it not that I know anything. Still worth a look.

Welcome to Sonim Technologies - Maker of the World's Toughest Phones (http://www.sonimtech.com/innovation.php)

Gary

101RRS
8th April 2012, 11:52 PM
If you want to use the GPS / Maps function you will need to get a browsing plan, they don't have to be expensive, I have the $10.00 for 3Gb monthly postpaid , because the phone downloads google maps data as you go, I could be wrong but I don't think they store the maps in the sense of a proper GPS.

Thanks - but that type of gps is no use to me as I may want to use the gps function outside of mobile range - plus the plan I use and want to stay on has no data component at all - cannot even use it if I wanted.

My current nokia has inbuilt maps - just not the GPS - if I want to use it as a GPS I have a small solar powered blue tooth GPS receiver that will talk to the phone - not the most convenient.

i do not need download plans etc - that is what my laptop is for.

Cheers

Garry

mikehzz
9th April 2012, 09:12 AM
All the phones will work as a gps out of mobile range. Its the gps program you choose to run on the phone that may or may not download maps. Pick a program that allows you to save the maps on the phone, there are quite a few. You download the program from whatever app store is available for the phone. Google maps comes standard on most phones these days but won't allow you to store its maps on the phone. Therefore don't start the program. For android use Ozi or Androzic. They both allow you to store the maps on phone and both will work on any phone with android o/s.

Moving to something like an S2, get ready to charge it every few days at least. The new phones barely last the day out if you use their features and receive a lot of calls. GPS chews power more than most other apps. Cheers.

d@rk51d3
21st April 2012, 12:06 PM
Leaning towards a Defy+ for my next phone in a couple of months.
It may not be top spec when compared to other smartphones, but seems to be getting quite good reports. The odd bad one too, but that seems to be with any phone today.

Apparently excellent reception (blue tick), plus the bonus of being semi-rugged. And if you explore under the cover, there's also an antenna jack for those super remote areas.

Can also be reflashed with a new custom ROM (probably removes bloatware etc.) which will speed it up quite considerably too.

shibby73
27th May 2012, 06:50 PM
I have the Motorola defy (the original one)

Mine is running custom firmware to keep it from being slow, but the main reason I have it is because its rugged.

Believe it or not I took it snorkeling in the great barrier reef and it didn't have any problems. Took several videos. by the way I don't sell phones

Here is a link to one -

Found Nemo! - YouTube

rufusking
28th May 2012, 01:58 PM
For similar reasons mentiond I have a Defy +. If you are going anywhere away from the towns and main highways the NextG capability is a must. I get coverage in remote places in the high country and even half way across Bass Strait! I have it mounted in my D4 using Brodit active (powered) holder for the Defy and dash clip designed for the D4.
A worthwhile app is AppAutoSetings by pinapps, it allows you to configure individual apps to not blank the screen when running. Useful if running GPS type apps or OBD ones.

101RRS
28th May 2012, 02:19 PM
I must admit I am leaning towards the Defy but there seems to be a few different models (and pricing) and it is not totally clear from the specs what the differences are - 3G is one though.

Garry

d@rk51d3
28th May 2012, 02:29 PM
Bit the bullet on a Defy+.

Can get a bit laggy at times, but then there a few widgets running constantly for news, sport, weather, data usage, emails, live wallpapers......
Mind you, these can be shut down if you want.

Loving the reception and call quality and battery life, over my I-Phone. Not really fair to compare the two I guess, as they both offer a completely different experience. But I am enjoying it.

Surprisingly the best price was from telstra. Guaranteed to work on their network then too.

101RRS
28th May 2012, 02:43 PM
Bit the bullet on a Defy+.

But which one - there are a few different Defy +

Defy
Defy Mini
Defy +
Defy + MotoBlur
Defy + Mb525
Defy + Mb526

Cheers

Garry

d@rk51d3
28th May 2012, 03:03 PM
525 is the old Defy 800mhz cpu
526 is the new(ish) defy+ 1000mhz cpu

Actually both the same cpu, just overclocked. 526 has camera improvements from memory.

MOTOBLUR? AFAIK thats just part of the OS.

Some of the other versions might just be cheaper junior / lower spec versions.

One disappointment is that the Defy is no longer supported in official firmware updates. If you want the latest firmwares, it will require some fiddling.

101RRS
28th May 2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for that - I will get a geek friend go over the specs of the 526 (next G) and see he thinks,

Cheers

Garry

101RRS
31st May 2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice - ordered a Motorola Defy + MB 526 form an Australian online store on Tuesday and it arrived from Hong Kong today.

Was obviously made for the French market - box markings in French, quick start card in French and phone initial graphics all in French. However once my sim card was inserted and startup initiated it all switched to english.

The phone seems to be almost exactly what I was after - just got to work out how to work it.

Thanks for the help.

Garry

101RRS
2nd June 2012, 11:59 PM
I bought a Sandisk 32gb micro sd card today but it will not format in my phone or computer - googling the issue shows that these cards can be problematic but the solution is a bit beyond me.

Any ideas on how to format it for use - the card is recognised by the computer but comes up with format fail when quick format is selected.

Cheers

Garry

d@rk51d3
3rd June 2012, 10:03 AM
What "class" is the card.

Apparently only up to class 6 will work safely, and only the odd class 10.
Fortunately I bought a Samsung 32GB class 10, and it works.

Have you tried any third party low level formatting tools?

101RRS
3rd June 2012, 01:31 PM
The card and its packaging does not indicate what class it is.

I googled a few options and downloaded a few programs but all were in command code rather than 'install' type programs so I had not idea how to actually use them - just has a lot of code.

My Win 7 laptop should be able format it irrespective of class but cannot.

Garry

33chinacars
3rd June 2012, 03:50 PM
Not sure if this is relavant but is the cade to big for the phone. ie too many gb's. I had an older model digital camera put a 4 gb card in it wouldn't work. Would only take a maximun of 2 gb card.

Gary

d@rk51d3
3rd June 2012, 04:06 PM
Not sure if this is relavant but is the cade to big for the phone. ie too many gb's. I had an older model digital camera put a 4 gb card in it wouldn't work. Would only take a maximun of 2 gb card.

Gary

32GB is the maximum.

It seems that class 6 is recommended, although I've been lucky with a class 10.

It does sound like a dodgy card to me.

Sorry.:(

101RRS
3rd June 2012, 05:23 PM
32GB is the maximum.

It seems that class 6 is recommended, although I've been lucky with a class 10.

It does sound like a dodgy card to me.

Sorry.:(

I agree - will try to get another one tomorrow but will test in the shop.

Cheers

Garry