PDA

View Full Version : Honey Mead?

SimonM
22nd April 2012, 06:56 AM
So who has made honey mead and how did you do it?

d@rk51d3
22nd April 2012, 09:49 AM
Haven't tried making it yet, only just bought my first bottle of it last week (Maxwells Honey Mead).

Didn't like it at first, as it seemed to be a bit too much like a wine cooler / St Tropez, and white wines are right at the bottom of my enjoyment list.

However, it has started growing on me, enough to perhaps try some other brands and styles. (if anyone has a recommendation).

We have "Buzz Honey" place alot of hives at work every year, so we often get a few kilos handed back. (Bush mallee is my fave.) So some homebrew would be interesting. :cool:

SimonM
22nd April 2012, 03:50 PM
Haven't tried making it yet, only just bought my first bottle of it last week (Maxwells Honey Mead).

Didn't like it at first, as it seemed to be a bit too much like a wine cooler / St Tropez, and white wines are right at the bottom of my enjoyment list.

However, it has started growing on me, enough to perhaps try some other brands and styles. (if anyone has a recommendation).

We have "Buzz Honey" place alot of hives at work every year, so we often get a few kilos handed back. (Bush mallee is my fave.) So some homebrew would be interesting. :cool:

My nephew made soem mead out of our first batch of honey but t has been sitting in the cupboard for a number of months now. Tonight might be the night for the first tasting. When I spoke with him this morning he said the first one he made tased liek metho with a teaspoon of honey in it - yum :eek:. Though he said the second batch was better, he wasnt sure which one he gave me though :o.

Bush mallee honey sounds very interesting indeed.

Mick-Kelly
22nd April 2012, 06:00 PM
I made a batch of mead ages ago and tasted it after a few weeks and it tasted like horse ****. I stuck it in the bottom of a cupboard and forgot about it. I found it again moving house about a year and a half later and opened one. After that time it tasted amazing. Problem is i had tossed the recipe. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

d@rk51d3
22nd April 2012, 07:30 PM
The recipe at the top of this page seems to be quite popular on a few forums, and runs under varoius names.

Might give it a go if I can find a 5L demijohn.

Jao The Ultimate Beginners Mead Recipe - AussieHomeBrewer.com (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32762)

Bigbjorn
23rd April 2012, 06:36 AM
There used to be several mead makers in Oz back in the 70's. They seemed to disappear about the same times as the local smaller cider makers were taken over and closed, or crushed by the big volume guys (like Bulmers who did a good bit of this). Meads came in a variety of strengths, body, and colour . Alcohol from around 7% up to sherry strength. Used to be quite cheap as was cider then. I liked the darker stronger ones.

blitz
2nd May 2012, 06:27 PM
mmmmmmm honey mead but it aint as nice as warn spiced mead.

there is a place near Penfolds in the clare valley that makes it and OMG is it good but now that I live in QLD haven't seen it since - and no I dont have a recipe for it sorry; but on a freezing cold night and your wet...... nothing better in the world apart from a wood fire to sit in front of while you sip it and dry off

The Cone of Silence
3rd October 2012, 01:54 PM
A mate and I made our first mead a couple of months ago. Technically, his one is a melomel (made with some fruit added) and mine is a metheglin, which also contains fruit but spices too....cinanmon, chilli, clove, star anise etc

I'm trying to go for the nice warm, spiced mead for a cold night by the fire.

Very simple to make and we poured the mixture straight into glass demijohns. We're about ready to rack them now, they've had enough time for all the sediment and gunk to sink to the bottom and the liquid is beautifully clean and....well, mead-like.

This isn't to say they won't taste dreadful but home brewing is a journey, not a destination...

blitz
6th October 2012, 01:57 PM
Warm spiced mead on a cold night is nectar from the gods

Tank
8th October 2012, 02:02 AM
There used to be a Winery (honey mead out near Kurrajong), Tijuana, it used to have many different honey meads, based on what trees or plants the honey came from.
Like Stringybark, Spotted gum, Peach, Apricot, Lime, they had some great meads even a Champagne, would love to have their recipes, Regards Frank.

zedcars
8th October 2012, 07:19 AM
The recipe at the top of this page seems to be quite popular on a few forums, and runs under varoius names.

Might give it a go if I can find a 5L demijohn.

Jao The Ultimate Beginners Mead Recipe - AussieHomeBrewer.com (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32762)

Well I have to say I was browsing down the forum titles and saw
"Mead" that had my attention--alcohol/booze--say no more.:cool:
Then the howler your link to Pete the Brewer and the note to "bugger off!":o
In true Auzzie style!!
:D

Thanks for the link I was a looking for a suitable recipe for Halloween, Pete sounds like my type of bloke!
Cheers Dennis
zedcars