PDA

View Full Version : Series Engine Conversion Options

Series3 GT
26th April 2012, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone, I'm interested in finding out a bit more about some engine conversions for my IIA when the 2.25 lets go (if it ever does). I've considered the Holden 186 and 202, the Ford 250 cross flow or a Valiant six cylinder of some sort. I'm quite interested in the Valiant engines but I have no clue where to get a conversion kit for one or for a 250 cross flow if anyone has any ideas on where to get one and if anyone has any ideas on another engine that would be suitable and easy to find (preferably a petrol 6cyl).

RR P38
27th April 2012, 02:08 AM
The holden motors were great 20years ago as they were cheap at the wreckers. But i always found that they didnt last a long time as they are reving pretty hard in the 2a. I found that the 161 was the best and lasted the longest.
A red 202 has a red line around 4600rpm from memory so at highway speeds they are fairly well screaming all the time even with an overdrive.
I think a chrysler 6 would be a pretty good choice.
Or what about a later model 4 cylinder,if you can get the adapter plate.

Better still do an over haul on the original 4cylinder and stick it back in.

Series3 GT
29th April 2012, 12:25 AM
I have found a good few 186 conversion plates and also I've found an old Series III with a 250 pre-crossflow motor but it doesn't have the same gearbox. I think it could have a Ford toploader but it definetly has a different transfer case. But I would love a Valiant engine just for something different.

chazza
29th April 2012, 08:12 AM
if anyone has any ideas on another engine that would be suitable and easy to find (preferably a petrol 6cyl).

Can't help with an engine suggestion but I am in the process of converting my S3 to a 200tdi and I suggest the following;
1. Contact the licencing authority in your State and find out what is required for approval. I found the info for WA on the web and submitted my proposal and it was approved and I have 2 years to get it fitted and inspected by an engineer.
2. Don't ignore point 1, because if you have a prang and someone gets hurt, the liability is all yours not the insurer's.
3. The Rover gearbox probably won't last too long especially if driven hard in 2nd or 3rd. Wagoo on AULRO has done box conversions using New Process truck boxes, which seems the way to go as they are unbreakable and the original transfer box can be kept.
4. Point 1. also includes what brake upgrades you are proposing and in your case what chassis modification and cooling modification needs to be done.

I originally was going to slip the 200tdi into my car and hope no one realised but after reading what the law says I changed my mind,

Cheers Charlie

Series3 GT
29th April 2012, 04:34 PM
It's not a road vehicle it's just a farm ute that is used for general farm work. The TDI engine is too expensive for me I just want something that is cheap, common and has six cylinders (petrol) and reliable.

isuzutoo-eh
30th April 2012, 07:52 PM
I'm curious as to why a 6 cylinder in particular, if you are coming from a 4 and won't be driving it on the road anyway? The 2.25P seems pretty well suited to the gearing until you pass 80km/h.
I would have thought a diesel conversion would be the most logical if anything.

Series3 GT
4th May 2012, 09:12 PM
I just like the idea of something a bit bigger and I like 6 cylinders. I like V8's but I've already got a Rangie and parts for most of those sixes are readily available at most wreckers for next to nothing but I haven't given up on the little 4 just yet it still there but It is a little small and you do notice it but in saying that It is better than our 75 series cruiser with the 4.2 6 cylinder diesel. When your driving that it feels like the handbrake is on constantly it doesn't like hills at all. But then again it is a Toyota.

Series3 GT
12th May 2012, 10:30 PM
I have finally decided to keep the old 2.25 4 cyl and do it up a bit to get some more power out of it. At least enough to carry a decent load up a hill with out constantly changing down gears