PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Lady

oupa
12th May 2012, 06:55 PM
Allow me to introduce you to Maggie - she is 50 years old and still going strong.

I met her about 5 years ago at a friend’s house.
She had gone to pieces and was living in his shed.
Many years of farm work followed by a long period of inactivity parked next to an out-dated harvester had taken its toll.
But she was in good hands and slowly she was mended.
From the ground up all rust was removed, she was taken back to bare metal and given some new clothes.
The engine was rebuilt with new bearings, pistons & rings fitted and a high ratio gearbox added.
Original bits were used where possible and bits replaced as required.

She recently came to live with me and although not quite 100%, she is getting there.....and yes, that color is the final topcoat. :D

incisor
12th May 2012, 07:06 PM
a lovely coral rose land rover ;)

hope she treats you nicely!

Series3 GT
12th May 2012, 10:46 PM
She's a good looking old girl, Are you going to register it for the road or just use it on the farm. As you can see in my profile picture my old IIA's paint work isn't looking great but when I bought it (I was 11, now 15) it was a really dull grey so I decided to respray it with cans of spray paint and it looked great for about a year then it faded. But I didn't take my time to do it so I'm paying for it in the long run. Yours looks great, is it the original colour because if it is, it looks great. Nice job fixing her up it's great seeing another old landie being brought back to life.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thing, You have resprayed it but it still looks great

oupa
13th May 2012, 09:26 AM
My friend, I must admit that the color is not an original Land Rover color as far as I know.
When I got her she had a grey undercoat all over.
I have painted her by hand.
The chassis and underside (wheel arches etc.) was done with a thick tar based paint and the body with an ordinary exterior PVA.

My thoughts were as follows:
To spray her would be expensive as I do not have the equipment on hand.
Had I spray painted her to a quality finish, every little dent and mark would have become more noticeable.

She is what she is - a grand old lady who does not hide her past or character under s coat of pretty paint.
I am going to register her.

Dirk

Slunnie
13th May 2012, 09:39 AM
Did the Iron Lady not come with factory blinkers? Only parking lights?

oupa
13th May 2012, 09:51 AM
I am unsure what the setup was when she was delivered, but ever since I knew her she has only had the parking lights with the bug-eye blinkers where the mirrors should go. There is no evidence of there ever having been blinkers in the front mudguards.
I actually bought a new set, but cannot decide if I should remove the bug-eyes or not....

Series3 GT
13th May 2012, 05:45 PM
I bought my IIA with a grey under coat paint on it as well

d3syd
13th May 2012, 06:06 PM
The blinkers look like they are from a Bedford truck.

Slunnie
13th May 2012, 07:05 PM
I thought that may have been the case - probably a rare set of front guards there! If they were never there then I wouldn't be drilling the guards to fit them, kind of makes it special! :cool:

JayBoRover
13th May 2012, 08:31 PM
The blinkers look like they are from a Bedford truck.
Yep - Bedford J series truck.
Snap!
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/05/832.jpg
My '55 86" S1 has the same indicators fitted:).

isuzutoo-eh
15th May 2012, 09:58 AM
Another Series IIa without factory indicators! Not many around...I thought mine may have been the only one :p

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/05/769.jpg

I'd like a tray top just like yours next :)

oupa
15th May 2012, 10:07 AM
I have been told that Maggie was a tipping truck years ago.....now there is a project for the future. I should be able to find suitable bits and pieces to construct a winch tipping mechanism.