PDA

View Full Version : transfer case selector lever.

portafilter
19th June 2012, 06:06 PM
HI All,
does anyone know why i am able to push the transfer case lever straight across from either high or low range diff lock to hi or low range unlocked, its almost like it doesn't have the "H" pattern anymore. it still locks the CDL when i move the lever to the left and the light still comes on it just doesn't seem to be locking the lever over there??

odd.
justin

langy
19th June 2012, 06:30 PM
Possible that the retaining clip at the bottom of the lever ( within the little box it rests on) has popped off. Simple job of putting it back together. Or one of the clips or linkages are out-of-kilter. EDIT: Also, it's supposed to go into and out of difflock in either hi, neutral or low range.( No H pattern)

portafilter
19th June 2012, 09:23 PM
but i shouldn't be able to more lever directly across to the right from hi range lock to high range unlocked right? shouldn't it need to move up to central "neutral" and down to the right to take it from hi lock to hi unlock?

Symo
19th June 2012, 09:48 PM
Ahhhhhhhh. No. You should be able to select locked or unlocked centre diff in high or low range. ( even if the transfer case is in neutral - although why you would want to engage CDL from neutral is beyond me).

Some puma ( like mine) did drop out of CDL for some reason. The stealer made a modification and it's brilliant now. Clicks in and out beautifully.

wrinklearthur
19th June 2012, 10:40 PM
Ahhhhhhhh. No. You should be able to select locked or unlocked centre diff in high or low range. ( even if the transfer case is in neutral - although why you would want to engage CDL from neutral is beyond me).

Some puma ( like mine) did drop out of CDL for some reason. The stealer made a modification and it's brilliant now. Clicks in and out beautifully.

In the good old days, to use your power take off, you would place the transfer lever in neutral, which also engages four wheel drive, with the handbrake on.
Then using the gearbox to select the appropriate speed, the PTO would then be able to drive the machine attached with the Land Rover remaining stationary.

That neutral is also handy when closing the gate at night !
Pop into neutral in the transfer box, the handbrake on and the main gearbox into reverse. Why?
The reverse light then shines and you can see to latch the gate up. :clap2:

Chops
20th June 2012, 07:57 AM

Mine is very loose when sitting normally, which makes it sit almost in the middle as standard. Spoke to the dealer at first service, they reckon they adjusted it so it like "clicks" in,,, but its still the same.
Its annoying, as I am consistantly trying to pull it to the right, to make sure its seated correctly.
I will get them to have another look at it.

Bush65
20th June 2012, 09:33 AM
HI All,
does anyone know why i am able to push the transfer case lever straight across from either high or low range diff lock to hi or low range unlocked, its almost like it doesn't have the "H" pattern anymore. it still locks the CDL when i move the lever to the left and the light still comes on it just doesn't seem to be locking the lever over there??

odd.
justin
What you have described as far as shifting is as it should be. They have never, ever had a 'H' shift pattern except the one moulded into the knob.

However the last line reads as though the diff is not staying locked - is the lever moving back to the unlock position without you touching it?

portafilter
20th June 2012, 10:27 AM
Ok so it seems I have been a little remiss in that i have only just read the correct method of obtaining centre diff lock- by shifting the lever directly to the left from unlocked hi or low.
I'm an idiot.
I always thought you had to select neutral in the trans case first.
No so.
Sorry for the panic caused

And thanks for the replies.
The sky is in fact not falling.
I love my defender.
Justin

Symo
22nd June 2012, 09:18 PM
Porta, some Pumas do have a problem of holding the CDL in regardless of where you engage it, from high, low or neutral.

Take the car to Lance Dixon in Doncaster. They know the issue and have a great fix for it. Mine in now brilliant

jasonedu
23rd June 2012, 10:09 PM
Hi Symo,

Do you have any details of this fix? I have been told I need a new transfer case by my dealer for the same problem.

Symo
24th June 2012, 08:28 PM
I had it back to the stealer 3 times for this issue. Wasn't a huge problem but it was frustrating having to look for the diff lock light and give the leaver a good nudge jut before the hairy stuff. And it never really felt positive.

The dealer with permission from LRA changed some springs and re-drilled some detents in the selector lever and performed other feats of magic and now it feels as positive as changing gears. It snaps into and out of CDL With a really comforting click.

Lance Dixon in Doncaster in Melbourne did the fix and I understand have published a service report on it. Tell your dealer to give them a call. The difference in function & feel s dramatic. A very worthwhile upgrade...

Hi Symo,

Do you have any details of this fix? I have been told I need a new transfer case by my dealer for the same problem.