PDA

View Full Version : Rear window on 130 smashed - options please

towe0609
22nd June 2012, 06:44 PM
One of the rear sliding windows on my 130 smashed.

I have no idea how it happened, I just went to drive home tonight from work, and heard the shattered glass fall. I cant see any evidence that someone was trying to get in - doesn't really matter anyway - its gotta be fixed.

I have a carry me camper permanently mounted to the rear tray (see below), and so:
1. I don't need the window as the camper box blocks any vision anyway, and
2. If at all possible I'd like to be able to fix this problem from the inside of the cab, access from the outside is very tight.

How should I go about this?

Replace with 1 piece glass? Who could do that? Could it be done from the inside?

Remove window frame and cover opening with alloy plate? Can the window frame be removed without pulling the cab to bits? How?

Appreciate any advice.

Tim

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/

alien
22nd June 2012, 07:57 PM
I'd be trying to pick the brains of the local windsreen bloke(O'brians/Novus/???).
They should know if it can be done from inside or not.
They should be able to get the glass too, but comparre their price.

redneb72
23rd June 2012, 07:37 AM
Tim,

Thanks for posting this! I just picked up a 130 and was considering doing the same. If you find anything out, can you keep me in the loop please!

Otherwise I will do some digging around!

Ben

towe0609
23rd June 2012, 01:30 PM
Ben - so far I have removed the rear cab lining, drilled out the rivets holding the window frame in (there are 20 of them), removed the window frame (with remaining window in place), taken it down to my local glazier who has agreed to cut to size a single piece of 6mm laminated glass (he said same as windscreen glass) for $70.

I will now disassemble the frame ready for him to fit the glass (and clean up old rivet remnants etc), and then when the glass is fitted, re-insert the frame using my new pop rivet gun that I found half price at the local hardware ($25), reinsert the lining, and should be all fixed.

Bit of a hassle, but seems easy enough to do without any skills and a few basic tools.

Tim

redneb72
26th June 2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks mate, I may have to give that a go myself. My boofhead dog keeps sticking his head through the window!

Leyland1980
28th June 2012, 12:16 PM
Given that you have done away with the opening function of your window might you be willing to pass on the catches? mine have broken and if you have you old ones languishing they could be put to good use.

I'm sure we can come to some arrangement to cover costs.

PM me

Cheers

John