PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Linkages

Lionelgee
24th June 2012, 02:58 PM
Hello All,

Could some other Holden 202 powered Series 3 Land Rover owners please post some photographs of how their accelerator cable / linkages connect from the accelerator pedal to their Stromberg Single barrel carburettor?

I just had the Stromberg carburettor rebuilt and I remembered that the vehicle's previous owner mentioned that they were never happy with the accelerator cable linkage arrangement. Now having put the carburettor back on and finding the return spring is now stretched and will not return the engine back to idle I am looking at either getting a new and stronger spring or working out a better way to hook things up.

At the moment there is a cable linked to the end of the original Land Rover linkages as they come out of the fire wall. The start of the inner cable is connected directly to the end of the original Land Rover linkage. While the start of the outer cable is then clamped to a piece of angle iron. The outer and inner cable then travels over the top of the motor where the end of the outer cable is clamped to another piece of angle iron. From there the inner cable connects to a half moon shaped bracket that is bolted to the carburettor. A spring goes from the top hanger of the carburettor and then hooks on to the lowest of the holes drilled in the half moon bracket. I attached a photo which has a red arrow pointing to the half moon bracket.

I had a closer look at the linkages and I found out that the spring on the side of the motor that is connected to the original Land Rover linkages only by a plastic cable tie to the first angle iron braket! I reckon there could be a bit of room for improvement there!

Since this is the only Holden powered Series 3 Land Rover I own it would be much appreciated if other Holden/Land Rover owners could post up some photos or describe how their accelerator links to the Stromberg carburettor. I will attach some more photos in a following message.

Kind Regards

Lionel

Dinty
24th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Lionel,
many years ago I had a holden powered Land Rover, 186 with YellaTerra head, X2 headers & 186S carby. I adapted a HR holden carby link that was a std fitting to the holden bulkhead, I also used the std holden throttle link from that bracket to the carby, and the rest was std Land Rover fittings, I,m sorry but I dont have pix of same, but I,m sure if you looked at a HR holden wksp manual you would see what I,m on about, hope thats of some help, cheers Dennis

mick88
24th June 2012, 03:56 PM
Howdy Lionel,
When I got my series three I wasn't happy with the linkage arrangement and so I modified it to basically how Dennis described his.....Holden linkage from the firewall out....Land Rover from there back to the pedal. It works well and isn't too savage on the acceleration which can be a problem with some of them, as short movement of the pedal and the donk nearly shoots out of the engine bay ;)
I am working until 7pm tonight and don't have the old girl with me so I will take a couple of snaps tomorrow and put them up.

Cheers, Mick.

Lionelgee
24th June 2012, 03:56 PM
Lionel,
many years ago I had a holden powered Land Rover, 186 with YellaTerra head, X2 headers & 186S carby. I adapted a HR holden carby link that was a std fitting to the holden bulkhead, I also used the std holden throttle link from that bracket to the carby, and the rest was std Land Rover fittings, I,m sorry but I dont have pix of same, but I,m sure if you looked at a HR holden wksp manual you would see what I,m on about, hope thats of some help, cheers Dennis

G'day Dennis,

Thank you for the advice - it is much appreciated. It has to be a big advancment to bits of plain wire and cable ties holding the return springs in place.

Now I knew buying that HR manual when I had the disc brakes fitted to my EH Holden in my youth would one day prove valuable if I kept it! Now I just have to find the bloody thing :). I know it is keeping good company with my EH manual .... somewhere.

Dennis thank you for posting those parts to me too. Good old Australia Post came through with the goods very quickly.

Kind Regards
Lionel

Lionelgee
24th June 2012, 04:00 PM
Howdy Lionel,
When I got my series three I wasn't happy with the linkage arrangement and so I modified it to basically how Dennis described his.....Holden linkage from the firewall out....Land Rover from there back to the pedal. It works well and isn't too savage on the acceleration which can be a problem with some of them, as short movement of the pedal and the donk nearly shoots out of the engine bay ;)
I am working until 7pm tonight and don't have the old girl with me so I will take a couple of snaps tomorrow and put them up.

Cheers, Mick.

Hello Mick,

Thank you for the reply and the for offering to post the photos up. A picture does paint a thousand words. Plus it makes things a lot clearer.

Kind Regards
Lionel

Lionelgee
24th June 2012, 04:30 PM
Hello All,

Here are some more photos of the driver's side and the passenger side of the accelerator linkages.

Looks like I can improve on the first photo....

Kind Regards
Lionel

Lionelgee
24th June 2012, 04:49 PM
Hello Again,

The photo shows where the spring on the far right of the shot connects to the half moon bracket that is bolted onto the carburettor. The end of the cable is fairly clear in the photo too - just near the bolt. The spring on the far left is connected to a piece of wire bent in a loop and tied to the vacuum hose.

Okay while I am waiting for the photos to upload ... the bottom of the carburettor that bolts down to the mainfold has the code BXV-2 on it. While the Air horn - the rectangular front has the code 23 3019 9 – 14 written on it. According to this code it the main part of the carburettor is off a 161 ci Holden motor from a HR - HK - HT - HG & LC. The bottom part of these carburettors that bolt to the manifold should have a BCUV-2 but my carburettor has a BXV-2 written on it.

The website which decodes the numbers on the carburettors suggests that for a 202 motor it should have a code of 20 3053.

Would someone have put a carburettor off a 161 ci motor on the 202 for any purpose? Should I try and track down an 20 3053 since it is listed as the correct code for a 202 motor?

The link with the decoding is available at 3.1 Stromberg Carburettor Model Numbers for Carburettor Guide (http://www.scribd.com/doc/68315221/4/Stromberg-Carburettor-Model-Numbers)

Kind Regards
Lionel

Lionelgee
24th June 2012, 05:01 PM
Hello it looks like a bit of an error with the last photos.

Okay the last two photos - notice in the second photo the cable tie holding the spring to the angle iron bracket - no this is not my work, it is an example of things we inherit from previous owners. :o So loops of wire and cable ties are the "in" thing to secure return springs.

If at first I don't succeed ... hmm photo has already been used on this site aye ....

Kind Regards
Lionel

mick88
25th June 2012, 05:28 AM
Hello Again,

The photo shows where the spring on the far right of the shot connects to the half moon bracket that is bolted onto the carburettor. The end of the cable is fairly clear in the photo too - just near the bolt. The spring on the far left is connected to a piece of wire bent in a loop and tied to the vacuum hose.

Okay while I am waiting for the photos to upload ... the bottom of the carburettor that bolts down to the mainfold has the code BXV-2 on it. While the Air horn - the rectangular front has the code 23 3019 9 – 14 written on it. According to this code it the main part of the carburettor is off a 161 ci Holden motor from a HR - HK - HT - HG & LC. The bottom part of these carburettors that bolt to the manifold should have a BCUV-2 but my carburettor has a BXV-2 written on it.

The website which decodes the numbers on the carburettors suggests that for a 202 motor it should have a code of 20 3053.

Would someone have put a carburettor off a 161 ci motor on the 202 for any purpose? Should I try and track down an 20 3053 since it is listed as the correct code for a 202 motor?

The link with the decoding is available at 3.1 Stromberg Carburettor Model Numbers for Carburettor Guide (http://www.scribd.com/doc/68315221/4/Stromberg-Carburettor-Model-Numbers)

Kind Regards
Lionel

Lionel,
Considering that the donk could be up to forty years old some one could have put another stromberg on it from any other model holden.
For information regarding Holden engines etc. I have often used the Old Holdens dot com web site and the guys there are clued up and willing to help. If someone doesn't know the answer they will point you in the right direction to get it!
When the sun comes up in a while I will take those throttle linkage pics
for you.

Cheers for now, Mick.

mick88
25th June 2012, 07:49 AM
Here are some pics.
My PC is so slow at loading them so only a couple at a time :mad:

Cheers, Mick

mick88
25th June 2012, 08:00 AM
Chapter two!

mick88
25th June 2012, 08:12 AM
Chapter three!

Lionelgee
25th June 2012, 10:02 AM
Chapter three!

Hello Mick,

Thank you very much for posting the photos of what a conversion looks like that is done without cable ties and loops of plain fencing wire. It looks like I will be tracking down some more Holden parts to get the proper linkages.

There is no blue plate on my vehicle about the conversion being engineer approved - no wonder I suppose.

Kind Regards
Lionel

Lionelgee
26th June 2012, 07:25 AM
Howdy Lionel,

When I got my series three I wasn't happy with the linkage arrangement and so I modified it to basically how Dennis described his.....Holden linkage from the firewall out....Land Rover from there back to the pedal. It works well and isn't too savage on the acceleration which can be a problem with some of them, as short movement of the pedal and the donk nearly shoots out of the engine bay

Cheers, Mick.

G'day Mick,

Can you remember what model Holden you used the linkages off - was it a HR like Dennis used or another model?

Can I impose further on your kindness by asking for some close up photographs of where the Land Rover linkages join with the Holden ones and where the Holden linkages join with the carburettor? Side view and looking vertically down over the parts would be great.

Do you know what numbers are on the base of the carburettor and on the front of the float? The base number should start with BX while the number on the front of the float chamber should start with 23 then a group of four numbers starting with the number 3 there could be three numbers separated by a dash

For example, I have the base on my Stromberg Carburettor is BXV-2 and the on the float 23 3019 9 – 14 Oh and this is the wrong base and the wrong carburettor for the motor too :(.

It should be a BXUV-3 base with the number on the float chamber of
23 - 3052 . - .. or 23 3053 . -..

My engine number is QL887212

Kind Regards
Lionel