PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring an RRS TDV8 - a not-so short story!

NutoLR
4th July 2012, 09:02 PM
Hello everyone!

My first post; I hope I do not transgress any rules of posting ettiquette!

In mid-March this year - after months of research - I finally purchased a low km MY09 RRS TDV8.

Having never owned a British car before now, and remembering (from some years ago) that many British cars were often characterised by constant oil leaks and very significant reliability issues, I approached the RRS acquisition with a lot more of care than I otherwise might have had had I been, for example, buying a BMW.

It would have been extremely useful to have been aware of the existence of the aulro community before I committed to the RRS purchase, but I wasn't, so I simply phoned around the Adelaide region, and got lucky. I was very fortunate to make contact with Phil & Ian at Triumph Rover Spares, Lonsdale, 30km south of Adelaide CBD. The first time I telephoned them, I was put through to Phil who was extremely generous with his time (about 1hr on the phone) and advice. My impression is that Phil & Ian really do know their stuff, and it certainly gave me some important knowledge and confidence to ask some of the 'right' questions. It definitely helped me assess the RRS that I eventaully bought from Mercedes Benz Melbourne. My guess is that many members would be aware of TRS?

A brief description of the car: It's an absolutely immaculate RRS TDV8, with 43,000km, in “as new” condition inside and out. Colour is Stornoway Grey; fitted with Ivory premium leather, HK Logic 7 sound system, factory navigation, phone integration, sunroof, front and rear park sensors, tow pack (I assume this is standard?), 20' alloys with near new Cooper 275/45R20 M+S Discoverer tyres.

I bought the RRS because a BMW X5 40D which I owned for a while wasn't legally heavy enough to pull the caravan my wife later bought. While the X5 is a fabulous handling vehicle, has extraordinary performance (6.6 sec 0-100, if you want it), a truly wonderful engine & transmission, amazing technology that just always works brilliantly, it's ride on run-flat 315/35R20s (rear) and 275/45R20s (front) coupled with a very firm sports suspension settings, makes for a harsh ride on many of Adelaide's 'goat track' suburban streets. But out on the open road, the X5 - the twin turbo 225kw/600Nm version in particular - was an amazingly satisfying drive. It is what you would expect from a hard-edged sport car, which I think is an apt description. But it had to go because it wasn't going to pull the van, and the indifferent ride quality annoyed me no end. I guess I was fortunate to sell it for exactly what I paid for it 4 months earlier!

In reality, after the X5 I probably should have bought a Toyota Landcruiser which no doubt be a fine match for towing my needs. It would have been a pragmatic choice, a very practical solution; but having spent my whole life experiencing technically interesting European cars I just could not see myself in a Toyota, which would also have to be my daily drive. So, I started looking at Range Rover Sports. I am pleased I did.

The first few (2005 to 2007 TDV6s) I drove didn't really leave a hugely positive impression. Each had done around 80000+km, suffered from various suspension knocks and rattles (which didn't seem to affect ride quality much) and not surprisingly, after the X5, lacked power; as a consequence they seemed very ponderous around town. Sometime later I got to drive a 2007 TDV8 which I found to be much more interesting and responsive. I wasn't so keen on that particular car but it caused me to start searching only for a TDV8. I was quite keen on the engine - as much as you can be after one short test drive on suburban and Hills roads.

But late model low km TDV8s seemed to attract a premium so also I looked briefly at a new 3 litre TDV6 dealer car but decided after a short drive that a good TDV8 would be a better proposition for me, and I didn't fancy shelling out $100+k. I might have considered a D4 (due to the 3 litre motor) which I didn't much like the look of then, (but they are growing on me now).

The first decent drive I experienced in a TDV8 was when I flew to Melbourne on a one-way ticket to purchase the car. If the vehicle wasn't up to scratch I was resolved to head back to the airport and buy another one-way ticket back to Adelaide. But the car was accurately represented by M-B Melbourne, and exceeded my expectations. I bought it and drove it 750km directly back home. On the highway you soon get to appreciate the RRS as a competent and comfortable touring car. A sports car it isn't, but it is a sporty drive; relaxed and very satisfying.

On the highway in particular one realises that the TDV8 is a smooth and impressive engine, and it sounds more like a petrol engine than a diesel. The power/torque combination of the TDV8 ensure overtaking manourvres are performed with absolute grace and ease. Handling quality also suprised me; while I think the steering lacks some feel, it remains accurate at all times, and combined with superb brakes and negligible body roll, it engenders confidence.

In town I have found it to be a real surprise too. Despite being a very heavy vehicle, I find that it is also a quite relaxed drive around town. However, it is still ponderous but after a while you just accept its ponderousity (.. a real word? ... ) and think of it as an RRS attribute. However, like the my X5 the ride around town tends to be choppy on rougher town roads (partly a short wheelbase issue) and also roughish because of the 20'' wheels. But it is more compliant than the X5 which does make it easier to live with.

The interior finish is classy with most driver controls well positioned. Those that are ergonomically not as well thought out (in my opinion) are the cruise, sound and phone controls on the steering wheel. I find that I have to feel around to find the correct button, or flick my eye onto the wheel to be sure. Still that is a pretty minor annoyance which I will get over the more I drive it.

It's an easy and comfortable drive, but most of all it puts a smile on my dial every time I drive it. That's the main test for me.

Anyway, if any of you are still awake, I want to say that I am very much looking forward to the experience and benefits of belonging to community. I have been very impressed with the quality of forum discussions in few weeks I've been trawling various threads. I hope I can make some positive contributions in the future as well.

I have several matters concerning towing and rear view camera Nav screen integration which I wish to learn about, but I'll save these questions for later specific (and much shorter) posts that this one.

Thanks all for your patience!

Cheers, John

101RRS
4th July 2012, 09:19 PM
Welcome to the forum - i have one of those slow, sluggish TDV6s :o.

AULRO is a great site with a wealth of information.

Cheers

Garry

GregMilner
4th July 2012, 10:06 PM
Hi John, nice post. I read it all the way through, waiting for the big "However...!"
Glad you like the car. I have the RRS 3.0, which is also a cracker of an engine (well, it will be when they replace mine with a brand new engine shortly, but that's another story:-)

Just hoping LR manage to squeeze the 4.4 V8 diesel in the Sport for 2014. Now that would be a drive!

NutoLR
4th July 2012, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the forum - i have one of those slow, sluggish TDV6s :o.

AULRO is a great site with a wealth of information.

Cheers

Garry

Thanks for responding Garry.

And I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that.

My reference point at that time was so different to the experience of those first RRS drives that it took me a long while (even after driving the TDV8 and the current model 3 litre TDV6) to keep persisiting with the RRS. The test drives I did do didn't always give the vehicles a decent opportunity to demostrate what they could do. But I kept on going back ....

Cheers
John

TerryO
5th July 2012, 07:45 AM
John don't worry about apologizing to Garry, everyone picks on him. ...:angel:

Cheers,
Terry

101RRS
5th July 2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for responding Garry.

And I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that.

When I was buying mine I would have loved to get a TDV8 as it was my preference but my overriding requirement was low km so ended up with a TDV6 and am more than happy with it. At the time I could have got a couple of TDV8s for the same price as my TDV6 but they all had well over 100,000km on the clock which was far too high for my requirements.

They are a great car but don't take any notice of Terry - he is always getting into trouble on here.:D

101RRS
5th July 2012, 11:16 AM
John don't worry about apologizing to Garry, everyone picks on him. ...:angel:
Terry

:p:angel::p

CaverD3
5th July 2012, 01:32 PM
Great whrite up! :D and welcome.

TDV8 is an awesome egine.

oldsalt
5th July 2012, 01:36 PM
ponderousity (.. a real word? ... )

Isn't that where Ben Cartwright and his boys lived ? :p

Pedro_The_Swift
5th July 2012, 01:57 PM
Lucky buggar,,
Probably LR's best tow car.

Will be interested to hear how it goes with a van behind it

oldsalt
5th July 2012, 04:24 PM
Lucky buggar,,
Probably LR's best tow car.

Will be interested to hear how it goes with a van behind it

Pretty damned quick by all accounts ... lucky bugger. :p

sniegy
5th July 2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the Aulro Forum.
Congratulations on the purchase, In my opinion the best LR engine is the 3.6L TDV8.

Familiarize yourself with the forum & when you get a chance read the FAQ section.
Please feel free to ask any questions, that's how we learn.

All the best.

Cheers Lucky sod :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Sleeping Wood
6th April 2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the post http://www.aulro.com/afvb/customavatars/avatar43220_1.gif (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/nutolr.html) NutoLR (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/nutolr.html) loved the read. Im in the market for a D4 but have been reading all I can find on here about the 3.6 TDV8 fitted to the RRS.
Can you give me some idea of your real life fuel consumption figures when driving around town, long distance touring and when towing?

Thanks for any advice.

discojools
6th April 2013, 05:13 PM
I drove from Melbourne to Nth Queensland in my 08 TDV8 and saw 7.8 ltrs/100 a couple of times...better than my current TDV6 D4. Fantastic engine and yes the best LR engine ever.

Lovely car, wish I still had it!

Tim-in-NZ
7th April 2013, 05:19 AM
Great write up John,

After spending 3 months looking for the one I wanted - I purchased a 2009 TDV8 in Santorini Black with the same 40Thousand k's. Having gone away from Landrover's to Toyota I am now back in the fold and the only issue I have is getting the old man out of the drivers seat.
Furthermore I received an email last week of the OL ML320 RRS test mule here in Perth with a modified D4 colour coded front winch bar bolted on the front.
I cant wait to place my order and get that on...
Cheers
Tim:eek:

101RRS
7th April 2013, 07:47 AM
Furthermore I received an email last week of the OL ML320 RRS test mule here in Perth with a modified D4 colour coded front winch bar bolted on the front.
I cant wait to place my order and get that on...
Cheers
Tim:eek:

Do you have any more information on this bull bar??

gghaggis
7th April 2013, 11:22 AM
Do you have any more information on this bull bar??

Look here:
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/169996-bull-bar-information-3.html#post1886172

Prices should be available late next week

Cheers,

Gordon

101RRS
7th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks Gordon - missed the last part of that thread.

I have been tempted to put a D3 ARB bar on my RRS but like you the fact they are not complianced for the RRS was a concern so have not proceeded even though only minimal non structural modifcations are needed.

Cheers

Garry

Rohan
7th April 2013, 02:46 PM
Ooooh! Am saving my pennies :)

PeterOZ
9th April 2013, 01:14 PM
mmmmm would love one but can't see my CFO allowing that sort of $$ spend!
:o

The MY08 TDV6 D3 will have to suffice.:angel: