PDA

View Full Version : International Mk3, ARN 170-862

Mick_Marsh
15th July 2012, 11:40 PM
Introducing 170-862

I've been looking at Inters for a little while now. I like the simple, agriculturalness of them.
I didn't really want to buy one at this point in time. Nowhere to put it.
A fellow, not too far from me, advertised one on another forum. I emailed the seller offering to post up photo's for him. When I saw the photo's I thought it was quite a nice looking truck, reasonably original and almost complete.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/07/790.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/07/791.jpg

About a month later, the seller emailed me. Apparently I was the only one showing any interest in it. Well, this Inter clearly needed saving. Well, this was a big thing for me and I clearly needed help, so it was off to see Alien. After the Series III saga, I'm surprised Mrs Alien still lets me in the house. Alien was particularly enthusiastic despite Mrs Alien stipulating "It's not parking here."

So then we went down to look at the truck.
It was certainly original and almost complete. We took it for a spin. It drove quite well but had no brakes. Alien by this stage was getting quite interested in it. I was also interested in it and we (the seller and myself) agreed on a price.
So, probably the worst kept secret, I bought myself an Inter.

Well, last Saturday Alien and I went to pick it up. A big thanks to Alien for this because I would have found the task nearly impossible. And thanks to Cookey who sent me a spare brake booster diaphragm just in case. It drove very well to where I was thinking it was going to be stored temporarily.

I had no idea how short a time "temporarily" was. Alien has stolen it.

Let me elaborate.

I drove to Riddells Creek today. In the hybrid. There is a very nice fellow there who has lots of Landrovers. He and some mates used to go to the army auctions and buy whatever was going. Well, he had some hood bows he didn't know what they were from. "I think they're from an Inter" I said. "You can have them" he said. So Nigel and I (Nigel, a non-Landrover friend, wanted to come along for the drive) went to collect the hood bows. The nice fellow from Riddels Creek gave us a tour of his collection, we loaded the bows and headed for home. Now, Nigel was unimpressed when I told him I had bought the truck and on the way home I confessed I didn't know why I bought it.
So, on the way back, I drove past where it was parked last night AND IT WAS GONE!
Driving around to the back gate, there was Alien, locking the gates and about to drive it to his place.
He was sprung.

Alien has quite taken to, and is very enthusiastic about, the truck. I suspect he will be wanting to buy it off me soon. If Mrs Alien gives permission.

Oh, by the way, Nigel was very impressed with the truck. He reckons he knows why I bought it and has promised to explain it to me one day. He even wanted Alien to drive it round to the tennis club so we could show it to Nigel's wife. What the!

And the hood bows fitted.

So, now it is sitting in Aliens driveway, with the Series III a certain person should buy to drop a whopping great V8 in. Mrs Alien is all smiles and offered me a cuppa. Welcome not worn out there, yet. All is right with the world.

All the pictures I have taken are here. The last ten are from yesterday.
Login to a private Photobucket.com album (http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w406/mick_marsh_AULRO/Inter/)

Password: Micks_Inter

You will be able to follow the restoration/preservation thread on the REMLR forum.
International Mk3, ARN 170-862 (http://remlr.com/forum/index.php?topic=296.msg2420#msg2420)

Lotz-A-Landies
16th July 2012, 09:15 AM
Nice looking truck. wish my Wazza was that original and complete! I like them because they were always the big brothers of the Army SIIa Land Rovers and my cousin drove them in SVN.

Diana

BTW: Do you call your mate "Alien" because he comes from another planet or like the septics because he comes from another country?

Mick_Marsh
16th July 2012, 12:47 PM
BTW: Do you call your mate "Alien" because he comes from another planet or like the septics because he comes from another country?
I refer to him as "Alien" because that is his forum name. I actually call him Kyle.

Lotz-A-Landies
16th July 2012, 12:55 PM
I refer to him as "Alien" because that is his forum name. I actually call him Kyle.Ah Ha www.aulro.com members alien d2 (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/alien+d2.html) I wouldn't have been so confused had the d2 been there! ;)

101 Ron
16th July 2012, 05:49 PM
They are a great little truck.
I spent many , many hours driving and fixing them in the Army.
good luck with it.

Mick_Marsh
16th July 2012, 07:41 PM
Ah Ha www.aulro.com members alien d2 (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/alien+d2.html) I wouldn't have been so confused had the d2 been there! ;)
Well, sometimes he's alien d2, sometimes he's alien rrc and sometimes he's alien SIII.
About time you got your forum name changed Kyle.

I put this thread up on here because there are a few AULROians who are not REMLRians who have heard much about this poorly kept secret already. I thought they may be interested.

alien
16th July 2012, 08:13 PM
Well, sometimes he's alien d2, sometimes he's alien rrc and sometimes he's alien SIII.
About time you got your forum name changed Kyle.

Might have to PM the new super moderator:)
I've been wanting to do it for a while truth be known.

Mick_Marsh
16th July 2012, 08:23 PM
Might have to PM the new super moderator:)
Do tell. Who is that? Anyone we know?
Do they wear blue leotards with red undies on the outside?

Lotz-A-Landies
16th July 2012, 08:32 PM
Do tell. Who is that? Anyone we know?
Do they wear blue leotards with red undies on the outside?Yes it is someone you know, but am only able to jump puddles.

If my nanny doesn't keep an eye on me I could easly go out with my undies on the outside! :D

Mick_Marsh
16th July 2012, 08:38 PM
Yes it is someone you know, but am only able to jump puddles.

If my nanny doesn't keep an eye on me I could easly go out with my undies on the outside! :D
I manage to step in them. And piles.

Weren't you already a moderator? Have you been upgraded?

Lotz-A-Landies
16th July 2012, 08:44 PM
I manage to step in them. And piles.

Weren't you already a moderator? Have you been upgraded?There have been a few upgrades.

The only change for me is that I have access to delete spam posts etc where ever they appear, previously I only had access to the series and fc forums and lately old REMLR.

Ausfree
3rd October 2012, 07:13 AM
Come in late on this, thanks for the info Mick!!!!:D I never drove one, I always sat in the left hand seat, in my days when they were used as a gun tower!!!

Mick_Marsh
3rd October 2012, 08:42 AM
I'd forgotten about this thread.
If you're down this way, Jim, let Alien or myself know and you can take it for a spin.

Ausfree
3rd October 2012, 09:02 AM
what, with no brakes!!!!:o:D

Mick_Marsh
3rd October 2012, 10:32 AM
The most exciting way to drive.
Living on the edge.

Actually, there are a few updates I should add. The braking system has been pulled apart and refurbished. There is one wheel cylinder that is giving problems but that should be sorted soon.