PDA

View Full Version : Show us your RC's

Rosscoe68
18th July 2012, 02:55 PM
heres a few of my current RC's ( Radio Control Vehicles )

cheapo 1/10 Nitro Monster Truck. Thinking of upgrading to a Defer body :)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/07/693.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/07/694.jpg

TRex 450 Clone 6Channel Helo

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/07/695.jpg

Also have a 5 Channel Cessna 182 back at home.

and this beast
its a remote Slasher/Flail Mulcher/Slope Mower. 22HP V-Twin Honda. Hydraulic drive tracks.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/07/696.jpg

turbopsi
6th September 2012, 12:12 PM
That RC slasher is great!, any more info on it?

I got into a buzz bying up a few Re-release retro Tamya kits. Building them as I get a chance. I'm a nutter for 80's toys.

Rosscoe68
6th September 2012, 12:29 PM
That RC slasher is great!, any more info on it?

I got into a buzz bying up a few Re-release retro Tamya kits. Building them as I get a chance. I'm a nutter for 80's toys.

Oz Turners Lynex Slope Mowers (http://ozturners.com.au/icwp/products/flail-mowers/)

just got myself a 1/5 offroad buggy, its flies, literally, only problem is i got it up a big high and when it landed it snapped the front chassis. oh well replacement is cheap as, and it was spectacular :)

turbopsi
6th September 2012, 02:07 PM
Wow, I didn't realise the scale of the slasher. It's a beast of a unit!

weeds
6th September 2012, 02:28 PM
timely thread

my youngest boy '9yo' has been asking about RC's, any tips on a good starting point for electric RC'd cars/4wd?

i have had a hunt around ebay but not sure what is resonible quality.

cheers

d3syd
6th September 2012, 02:39 PM
I would imagine that slasher would have cost a fortune. Go on, tell us how much....

Debacle
6th September 2012, 02:49 PM
timely thread

my youngest boy '9yo' has been asking about RC's, any tips on a good starting point for electric RC'd cars/4wd?

cheers

Go see OZRC at Geebung, they are pretty good there. Keep in mind that some of the cheaper ones on ebay could be difficult to get parts/hopups for.

weeds
6th September 2012, 03:10 PM
Go see OZRC at Geebung, they are pretty good there. Keep in mind that some of the cheaper ones on ebay could be difficult to get parts/hopups for.

thanks, and its on our side of town.

cheers

isuzutoo-eh
6th September 2012, 03:48 PM
I work in a hobby shop so am biased, but I also see a lot of people come into the shop hoping we'll fix their ebay or markets bargain but parts aren't available, other brand parts don't fit, and some of the things that go wrong shouldn't have gone wrong to start with.

Things to keep in mind, they all have a roughly 10 minute run time, so don't go out trying to buy one that'll last an hour per charge, just won't happen unless top speed is snail's pace. Better off with two batteries anyway. I'd suggest NiMH batteries over NiCad or LiPo for a 9 year old. NiCad are old tech and outdated, LiPos if overly discharged never recover and can be dangerous whereas NiMH packs are a little more forgiving, or at least not a danger.
Teach your kid to not drive it until it stops, but to stop when it starts slowing down or the battery will get ruined.
2.4GHz radio systems have less glitching than 27MHz systems, but 27MHz is quite good these days since CB radios are out of fashion.
Off road trucks and buggies are better for kids than onroad cars, they generally have better bumpers and can be bashed around the backyard, on the street, on BMX tracks etc.
Trees and gutters are the enemy and RC cars never win.

goingbush
6th September 2012, 03:55 PM
ive been out of the hobby for a while now but heres some of my more memorable designs, apologies about quality, didnt have digital camera in those days

this one made it into Airborne magazine
RC VTOL Vertical Take Off - YouTube

and just for something different
i made this all out of coke cans & won a Model Airplane News competition for first rc plane built from soft drink cans,

should have used VB cans
Worlds First RC Coke Can Plane - YouTube

turbopsi
6th September 2012, 04:01 PM
timely thread

cheers

Hi Kelvin, make sure spare parts are available for which ever model you choose.

You have the choice of

2WD/4WD cars mainly used on road/car park surfaces

2WD/4WD buggies and trucks for the off road stuff/parks/grass etc..

I personally prefer the off road buggies/trucks as you can play around with suspension to work well on roads as well.

I've never had an issue sourcing parts for my Tamiya RC cars and buggies.
I've ordered most of my kits from the following websites with no issues.
Tamiya R/C kits, spares and Hop-up options (http://www.stellamodels.com.hk/)
RC-Mushroom, Your One Stop RC Pro Shop (http://www.rc-mushroom.com/)

Rosscoe68
7th September 2012, 11:09 AM
timely thread

cheers

i would seriously got for a HSP cheapy of ebay or Super and Cheaper ( Super RC helicopters - cheaper RC helicopters online - Australia RC helicopters (http://www.superandcheaper.com.au/) ). they arent a super top notch machine but you can get every part on ebay for couple of bucks. they do have a range of upgrade parts if you wanted to go down that path as well. he IS going to break things and in my opinion, start with a cheapy, that you can get replacement parts for and then when he is serious and has driving skill, get a decent HPI or the likes. HSP buggy should be no more than $150 with controllers and batteries etc.
later on he might get into a 1/5 HPI Baja that' cost closer to $1500 :)

Rosscoe68
7th September 2012, 11:25 AM
I would imagine that slasher would have cost a fortune. Go on, tell us how much....

bout the same as a new defer. $60k :)

got a 1mtr slash and can go up to 70deg slopes. not a toy, but its fun :)
makes and absolute mess of the back yard though with those tracks, heh

s7000
7th September 2012, 09:06 PM
bout the same as a new defer. $60k :)

got a 1mtr slash and can go up to 70deg slopes. not a toy, but its fun :)
makes and absolute mess of the back yard though with those tracks, heh

Sheep would have been so much cheaper...

Rosscoe68
7th September 2012, 09:38 PM
sheep wouldn't really pass OH&S for safe roadside and motorway maintenance. main reason these are on the market is due to it not being safe for crews to do by hand with weed wackers. plus this will do in 1 day what a roadside crew would do in a week.

SPROVER
8th September 2012, 04:16 PM
I just bought one of the 1/8 scale 4wd truggys from ebay for $230.Nitro motor is so much more fun the the electric motors in my opinion.Its my first one and i love it:D The suspension is great and its pretty quick as well.I'll try and post a pic later.

Rosscoe68
8th September 2012, 09:29 PM
heh, put my brushless against any nitro car :)
one thing i will say, theres nothing like the sound of a nitro at WOT.
brushless is kinda weird sounding :/

SPROVER
8th September 2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah but I don't have to charge it after 10 min:D And a nitro at full revs sounds so good

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

s7000
8th September 2012, 11:04 PM
sheep wouldn't really pass OH&S for safe roadside and motorway maintenance. main reason these are on the market is due to it not being safe for crews to do by hand with weed wackers. plus this will do in 1 day what a roadside crew would do in a week.

Well, that just depends what country you're in. :p

As for the roadside crews... Were you talking to council workers? :wasntme:

Rosscoe68
8th September 2012, 11:44 PM
gotto top up with fuel every 10 mins though :p
my buggy has 2 x 6200mah batteries onboard. don't need rechanrging for about 25-30 mins :

Rosscoe68
8th September 2012, 11:49 PM
Well, that just depends what country you're in. :p

As for the roadside crews... Were you talking to council workers? :wasntme:

won't mention names, not sure if i am allowed to, but it was a tollway motorway service dept. part of a very large aust group, private not govt. they are under the hammer from govt on OH&S. we import these from europe for this purpose :)