PDA

View Full Version : Bike rack for D4

Epic
23rd July 2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Folks
I am about to buy a D4 and have been thinking about a bike rack for the rear tow bar.
Previously I have had fork mounted racks on the roof but the cars have been much smaller and lower. I think that it will be easier to mount a bike to the rear of the vehicle. I will be making one myself so I can select the height etc.
My question is, how much dust/dirt collects on the rear of the D4. I'd rather not keep a bike on the back there if it is just going to get filthy dirty before I even start to ride. I assume with the rear bar as it is, it would deflect the dust downward but I can't be sure. Will mud flaps help? Any experience here?
Thanks

DiscoWeb
23rd July 2012, 12:09 PM
Epic,

I have a mate with a thule rear rack that works really well and does not seem to collect too much dirt etc, but I guess it depends on how much dirt road driving your will be doing before each ride.

The thule has a mechanism that allows it to be lowered or lean away from the rear door to give some access.

I run racks on the roof, and whilst it is tall and can be a bit of a stretch it is really not too bad when lowered to access height, but it does mean my wife can not put the bike on !

George

Epic
23rd July 2012, 02:43 PM
I ride MTB and therefore most roads leading to the trails are dirt. The bikes are heavy too so I dont fancy myself balancing on the rear wheel holding a 12kg bike and trying to plug it on the roof. Especially when its wet and dark!
The Thule one is like what I will be building in theorey but wanted to get the feedback before I commited to doing it.
Cheers

EchiDna
23rd July 2012, 03:06 PM
there are also a few models around that allow you to mount bikes internally (locking the front fork to the floor) which might be suitable if you are not using all the rear seats?

e.g. http://www.saris.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=49&category_id=9&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=153

DiscoWeb
23rd July 2012, 03:51 PM
I ride MTB and therefore most roads leading to the trails are dirt. The bikes are heavy too so I dont fancy myself balancing on the rear wheel holding a 12kg bike and trying to plug it on the roof. Especially when its wet and dark!
The Thule one is like what I will be building in theorey but wanted to get the feedback before I commited to doing it.
Cheers

Yep,

Mine are mtb as well, my thule roof mounted rack has a jaw style mechanism that cinches the the downtube so pretty easy to position and tighten and I am not that tall but understand the issue.

Anything at the rear will still pick up a fair bit of dirt but really should not be too big a problem as they will get dirty once you ride it !

There are a few people who have made up rear mud flaps for the D3/D4 (rather than purchasing the LR ones) which would help to cut dirt and mud, have a quick search in the forum.

Good luck either way.

George

eddomak
23rd July 2012, 03:56 PM
Cheers
I have been using the A-Frame on towbar/towball versions and it has been OK for dust. Having said that I am now looking at square-hitch versions to save myself from needing to reinstall the H-shaped holder each time.

I wasn't sure if you were referring to the following procedure when you said "balancing on the rear wheel", but one thing you can try in the interim (if you are using the roof-mounted rack) is to flip the lower tailgate down, then lower the upper section of the tailgate. You can now stand on the tailgate and access a lot of the roof quite easily, albeit not from the side.

Epic
23rd July 2012, 09:00 PM
I'm steering towards a rear rack so I can leave the wheels on. Less mucking about I think. Fair call re standing on the tailgate though.
As for the boot space fork mount ones.. I think this is a top idea but there will be 2 child seats in the rear. They a like arm chairs so not sure I can have a seat folded down to accommodate it.
If I end up making one, I'll post a pic or 2.
Cheers all
Scott.

Stuart02
24th July 2012, 01:32 PM
I've got a swing-away rack with a 50mm hitch, works fine, dust not too bad.
The rear sensors going off constantly in reverse is the only bad part!

Robocop
25th July 2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Epic,

I have a rack that fits into the 50mm tow hitch & can carry up to 4 bikes hanging from the frame. I also ride MTB & have no problems with any weight. Any dust that my bike would collect is no more than what it picks up on the track. The rack also tilts back to allow the tailgate to open.

I'll post a pic when I'm off tomorrow & I can fit it on.

The only issue I've had is when my bike is on the rack the front wheel partially blocks the rego plate. I got past this by fitting a bike rack plate.

Cheers Rob

Tinto
27th July 2012, 09:08 AM
Those of you who ride MTB are probably already aware of them but the gripsport.com.au racks look great to me. I'll be heading down that path in a few months time. I can't recall ever seeing a bad review and they look solid enough to cart a few heavy bikes up rough access tracks.

oldsalt
27th July 2012, 09:39 AM
Ditto for the Gripsport ... Products | GripSport (http://www.gripsport.com.au/products) I've had one for about ten years and they are great.
cheers

simoncs
27th July 2012, 04:00 PM
Have a 4 bike rack from rola. I just leave it connected to the removable tow bar, and take that off when not using it. ( the pin actually bolts in to the 50mm reciever so it can't be thieved too easily when you are out on the track)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Epic
28th July 2012, 08:03 PM
Well I bought the D4 today so the bike rack thing will have to start soon. Interesting thought to put a fork mount rack in the boot. Can anyone tell me the depth of the boot? I guess I'll find out soon enough once mine arrives but would like o start preparing something soon.
I've seen the grip sport one but not heaps happy with the mounting options. I don't like anything that either clamps to the top tube or the crank. Fussy I know....

Epic
28th July 2012, 09:21 PM
I think google tells me it's 1124mm.

oldsalt
28th July 2012, 09:50 PM
With the gripsport one the bikes wheels sit in the carrier and the padded "arm" comes down over the top-tube to hold it firmly in place.....it doesn't "clamp" to the top tube or crank ... maybe you should have another look.
cheers

Epic
29th July 2012, 05:26 PM
Yeah I see that but it has a similar effect of rubbing mud etc through your paint. I'm guessing though.

Mudrunner
30th July 2012, 04:16 PM
Well, I happen to have all the things you are looking for, a D4, Thule 4 bike rack and front/rear mudflaps. To be honest the flaps dont really stop grime from the rear of your vehicle or whatever you are towing ie bikes.
If you MTB correctly, don't you get your bike dirty anyway??

If I can give you one tip - If you are going to Kangaroo Island, leave the bikes at home!!

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=49464&stc=1&d=1343631891

oldsalt
30th July 2012, 04:27 PM
I reckon if you are going to Kangaroo Island you should leave the Landy at home as well - those roads are TERRIBLE - I was there a few years ago (in my trusty VW camper) and I think I lost a few fillings from my teeth !!!!
It's a lovely place but the roads are CRAP !!!! :mad:
cheers

emilysdad
2nd August 2012, 06:59 PM
Try George at ISI-carriers. He is a fellow 4WD'r, engineered and made here in Melbourne and worth the extra spend over the gripsport IMO (I cross shopped both).

I have no affiliation, just a very happy customer.

oldsalt
3rd August 2012, 09:27 AM
Hey those ISI carriers are great !!! - I may have to change over to one of those .. the bikes being up higher is very attractive ... hmmmm more$$$$ :(
cheers

aferrier
3rd August 2012, 05:15 PM
We've got a Yakima swing away...

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1730.jpg (http://www.aulro.com/app/showphoto.php/photo/21811/title/mg-4046/cat/1227)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/08/1731.jpg (http://www.aulro.com/app/showphoto.php/photo/21810/title/mg-4045/cat/1227)

Epic
4th August 2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah I like the look of the ISI one.

eddomak
2nd December 2012, 04:08 PM
For those who are still interested...

Anaconda has just started stocking Yakima, and until 16th Dec 2012 have 20% off. This makes the 4 bike doubledown (http://www.yakima.com.au/au/shop-en/bike-racks/hitch/doubledown-4.html) (50mm hitch mount, tilt-down version) discounted from $350 -> $280. The comparable Thule version is the Vertex Tilt 4 bike (http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=487&listid=2&slistid=&seo=Thule_9029_Vertex_Tilt_4_Bike), which is RRP $369. It's hard to find sales on Thule.

Also note that Anaconda doesn't keep much in stock, so you may need to order it in and have it arrive prior to the sale ending. I think I am going to get a Doubledown 5 bike discounted from $400 -> $320.

PCH
2nd December 2012, 07:53 PM
I bought an ISI carrier for 4 bikes just a few weeks ago and it is terrific. With the fold down capability it makes entry to the rear easy. The bikes are just so well held down.

Contact George if you are interested. The engineering that has gone into their carriers is first class. And made in Templestowe.

I have no affiliation with ISI Systems and did my homework and with this design it staggers the bikes horizontally and vertically. Also because they are raised vertically there is less chance of stone damage.

PCH

Epic
2nd December 2012, 08:16 PM
I've been trying to get a Raxter Tarsus, bike rack shipped from the US. It is exactly what I'm after but the cost of shipping is prohibitive. I've been quoted from $300-600 for shipping alone. I'm tempted to make one still.
http://www.raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=5

phl
4th December 2012, 10:47 PM
Does the Thule Apex fit onto the standard tow hitch in the D4? The Pymble roof rack place is advertising 20% off this weekend, so want to pick something up in anticipation.

Secondly, does the tilt racks give enough clearance, or does one need to get the swing-away type?

eddomak
4th December 2012, 11:01 PM
Does the Thule Apex fit onto the standard tow hitch in the D4? The Pymble roof rack place is advertising 20% off this weekend, so want to pick something up in anticipation.

Secondly, does the tilt racks give enough clearance, or does one need to get the swing-away type?

Ooh, if I had known that I might have waited for Thule, but then again I have found a good feature with the Yakima (and it isn't the built in bottle openers) - more on the other feature later.

All of these will tilt with enough clearance for the bottom tailgate to open fully flat, so you don't need to have the swing away versions. They are significantly pricier, but I guess it depends on your needs. I love them, but can't justify it for my own personal needs.

The Vertex will definitely fit in the 50mm/2 inch hitch, but it may rattle a little bit because the Discovery does not have an anti-rattle bolt. This can be solved in several ways (see thread here (http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/134571-d4-2-square-trailer-receiver-hitch.html)), but the Apex series has a hitch bar that expands out to stop the rattling - for an extra $170 over the Vertex series (albeit with other features as well). The Yakima has an anti-rattle bolt built into it, so the locking pin actually screws into the hitch tongue and makes it snug. See this YouTube video (http://youtu.be/OvmslQqRxqE).

Let us know how you go - I should be picking up my Yakima on Friday.

gps-au
6th December 2012, 06:54 PM
I've been trying to get a Raxter Tarsus, bike rack shipped from the US. It is exactly what I'm after but the cost of shipping is prohibitive. I've been quoted from $300-600 for shipping alone. I'm tempted to make one still.
Raxter Racks - Rack Your Bike (http://www.raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=5)

Struth the picture indicates that it would last one entry or exit from my driveway !!

Don't forget to add an additional number plate and indicator setup (electrics).

:eek:

Epic
6th December 2012, 07:23 PM
I've got the plate and the lights are planned (LED's and load resistors). I've just gotta get the rack!

bh78
6th December 2012, 08:05 PM
I've got a gripsport on the D4. Works really well.

Was a little cheaper than the ISI rack, it was my close second option.

phl
7th December 2012, 09:03 PM
Just had a thought after seeing some photos; is the LR removable tow ball for the Disco use the standard 50mm sq tow hitch, or something completely different? Most of the ones I'm looking depends on the standard hitch.

Alternatively, which aftermarket hitch works without problems with the parking sensors.

eddomak
7th December 2012, 09:11 PM
Just had a thought after seeing some photos; is the LR removable tow ball for the Disco use the standard 50mm sq tow hitch, or something completely different? Most of the ones I'm looking depends on the standard hitch.

Alternatively, which aftermarket hitch works without problems with the parking sensors.

It uses the standard 50mm sq tow hitch.

I just fitted my Yakima to it tonight for the first time. No problems at all. Definitely worthwhile having some type of anti-rattle mechanism as there is a lot of play without it, so if you go with Thule I would stay clear of the lower level (Vertex).

I think most people are resigned to their parking sensors beeping permanently at them during reverse when the bike rack is on. Some knowledgable types here will be able to tell you if the sensors are disabled only due to towing lights being plugged in.

Tombie
8th December 2012, 12:29 AM
So make a dummy load plug!
Plug it in when the bike is on...

Easy!

roamer
8th December 2012, 07:13 AM
Did LR change the sensors beep button actions :confused:

I have a MY 10 D4 HSE with rear camera

I can just push dash park button if in reverse to stop beep

And push same button to bring on front sensor when wanted

Cheers Ken

SBD4
8th December 2012, 07:45 AM
Did LR change the sensors beep button actions :confused:

I have a MY 10 D4 HSE with rear camera

I can just push dash park button if in reverse to stop beep

And push same button to bring on front sensor when wanted

Cheers Ken
Ken, if you don't have front sensors you do not get the button. So the guys without front PDC have no way to turn off the rear PDC when they want to.

roamer
8th December 2012, 08:03 AM
Ken, if you don't have front sensors you do not get the button. So the guys without front PDC have no way to turn off the rear PDC when they want to.

Arh, the price you pay for poverty pack :D

Tombie
8th December 2012, 12:55 PM
Arh, the price you pay for poverty pack :D

Or how much extra will fools pay for a button :cool:

Two sides to everything!!!!

roamer
8th December 2012, 02:08 PM
I would hook up to something at least 5/6 times a week,
That beeping is the first thing turned off, great feature

There is every chance the wiring is behind the panel

Or how much extra will fools pay for a button :cool:
Two sides to everything!!!!

Didn't realize the smarter you were the less luxuries in life you had :(:(
What they don't know won't hurt them.... Yeah it's only a button :BigThumb:

gedaso
8th December 2012, 04:08 PM

:confused:

My pov pack 2007 SE only has rear PDC, but there is a button on my dash which turns it off. Indeed I use it when I have the bike rack in place.

phl
8th December 2012, 04:12 PM
Can confirm the tow hitch works; apparently the Au version is different due to local requirements.

Got the Thule Apex 4 bike carrier. Not too bad at $431. Looks like a nice piece of kit, much more polished than the Helium.

I hadn't realised the other models don't have that button. Personally I feel the sensors are a real PITA especially parking in my carport, which is pretty tight.

SBD4
8th December 2012, 07:17 PM
:confused:

My pov pack 2007 SE only has rear PDC, but there is a button on my dash which turns it off. Indeed I use it when I have the bike rack in place.

I think it's a D4 thing:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/147269-annoying-rear-parking-sensors-2.html#post1653870

Tombie
8th December 2012, 08:30 PM
Didn't realize the smarter you were the less luxuries in life you had :(:(
What they don't know won't hurt them.... Yeah it's only a button :BigThumb:

Hehe yeah.

It's amazing though, what we expect in a vehicle now isn't it.

My vehicle is more luxurious than my lounge room in several ways!

But a beeping vehicle doesn't bother me! I don't need front park sensors. And I can ignore noises - I'm married :)

But back on topic - a dummy load plug will disable rear sensors for those without the button.

roamer
9th December 2012, 07:02 AM
Hehe yeah.

It's amazing though, what we expect in a vehicle now isn't it.

My vehicle is more luxurious than my lounge room in several ways!

But a beeping vehicle doesn't bother me! I don't need front park sensors. And I can ignore noises - I'm married :)

Hey Tombie, your right :o:o

The A/C in car is better,
sound system is better,
carpet is better,
windows open and close at push of button
security system better
doors lock/ unlock keyless
lights go on / off when needed
and the view is ever changing

Think I might go live in the car

And ya won't be married much longer if she reads that. :angel:

And to keep on topic, has any one looked behind the panel for switch wiring
I'd look but I know I've got them

Cheers Ken

phl
9th December 2012, 08:02 PM
doors lock/ unlock keyless

Is the keyless entry worth paying the extra $2100 for?