PDA

View Full Version : Free wheeling hubs

Ummagumma
2nd August 2012, 01:37 PM
Hi, I have decided that I will not be travelling to Borneo therefore I have about $2000 to spend on my 76' Series III 109' 5 door, it has a 186 Holden motor and a Nissan 5 speed 'box to go in it. It currently has the standard 'box (destroyed) with an overdrive, I am planning to rebuild the brakes and front axle with new seals, bearings etc, I want to fit Boost alloys to it and some chunky tires, but it has free wheeling hubs, I need to take them off to fit the Boost alloys. I know they can increase fuel efficiency by 5%? but if I take the fan off the motor and replace it with a thermo fan it could counteract the fuel efficiency problem.

Any help would be much appreciated (with this problem or any other ideas to do to with the Land Rover).

Cheers :MileStone:

Lotz-A-Landies
2nd August 2012, 02:15 PM
The advertising may tell us that FW hubs theoretically increase fuel savings, but I do not know anyone who has found that consistently IRL.

There are many more problems that are caused by FW hubs than are solved by them and hence IHMO the best advice is to remove them and fit standard drive flanges.

Ummagumma
3rd August 2012, 11:19 AM
Thank you very much, I will be fitting the drive flanges onto the front axle soon. I am liking the idea of not having to get out and lock the hubs when im 4x4ing! :cool:

Thanks for your help