PDA

View Full Version : 202 black motor questions

Jackson
4th September 2012, 02:29 PM
I have been looking at adding an electronic distributer to my Desert Turd ( 75 series 3 LWB with 202 red motor on gas / petrol ) so it will run better on gas and hopefully improve economy. Then I realised my house mate is chucking away a black 202 EFI motor from a VK calais. I was wondering what bits and pieces are worth keeping from the black motor that I can use on the Red ( I will most likely get the electronic dizzy and ignition from it ), or if its worth holding onto the black motor and fixing it up and replacing the old red motor completely.

I have been reading a fair bit on here and holden forums and just trying to get an idea of what I can do with the thing, and if the gearbox will be alright with a bit more power. Also has anyone ever run a black motor in one or know anything about red / black combos in series and how they went.

thanks!

Homestar
4th September 2012, 04:18 PM
The dizzy on the black motor isn't electronic - it only distributes the spark. The timing is done by a crank angle sensor. Look inside it, and you'll see it is empty. If you want an electronic dizzy, then the Blue motor one is what you are after. You can convert the points dissy in the red motor as well if you wanted to.

As for the rest of the engine, you could swap the whole thing in if it is in reasonable condition, or take the head off it and the EFI bits and convert yours.

Cheers - Gav

g2landyman
3rd January 2013, 07:30 PM
Black motor is better ie 12 port head, heavy duty conrods. carnt remember if red intake manifold fits and yep blue motor dissy

marko66
4th January 2013, 10:26 AM
Hi All

The black motor 202 efi has the larger valves in the head so it is like a factory yella terra - if you dont want it i have a 235 holden six that needs to breathe :):D

Regards Mark

bee utey
4th January 2013, 11:46 AM
From memory the black motor had EST on the carby models so yes timing is driven by a crank sensor, but the EFI just had a normal electronic HEI dissy. Easy enough to check, the dissy you want has the ignition module under a cover on the side of the dissy.