PDA

View Full Version : Seal On Back of Seatbox

reubsrover
10th September 2012, 10:02 PM
I've taken the seatbox out and given it a bit of a scrub up. Just wondering what (if any) type of sealant was used around the joins on the floor seatbox etc.

Should I seal it or is it best left with nothing to catch the dirt and just cleaned regularly?

There was a type of sealant there some black none hardening gunk that seemed to be too sticky for the job as it caught a lot of dirt.

JDNSW
11th September 2012, 05:18 AM
The stuff you see is the original - called dumdum. When I redid mine I used self adhesive closed cell neoprene foam tape, available in varying widths from Clark Rubber.

John

gromit
11th September 2012, 07:13 AM
I'm just about to re-install my seat box and likes reubsrover I was wondering what sealant to use.
I remember Dum Dum in the UK but from memory it was an exhaust sealant I'd used (they must have made a variety of different sealants).
I'm going to try a panel beaters supply shop to see if I can get a suitable sealant in a cartridge.

400g Eldro Dum Dum Car Sealant / Sealing Compound | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400g-Eldro-Dum-Dum-Car-Sealant-Sealing-Compound-/320642456262)

Colin

gromit
11th September 2012, 01:03 PM
I got some Teroson(Henkel) Terostat 9320 'multifunctional seam sealant' earlier today. Then I shopped elsewhere and was told that Wurth 'Dab off' is the best stuff but you need an industrial caulking gun to apply it (you'll break a cheapy gun because of the pressure needed to dispense it).
Wurth are just down the road from where I work so I'll try later in the week and see if they will sell over-the-counter.

Colin

Lotz-A-Landies
11th September 2012, 01:12 PM
The easiest and most available sealant is to use a butyl rubber compound (ButylMastic is one brand), these are supplied in tubes for application from a gun and are available in the paint section from places like Bunnings. Apply a thick bead around the panel. Is a little more messy than the tapes, but easier to find.

Ideally let it cure for a little while before joining the panels, this will allow a skin to form and the compound behaves more like the tape, than it does when fresh out of the tube.

JDNSW
11th September 2012, 04:08 PM
The advantage of the tape is next time you take it apart!

John

reubsrover
11th September 2012, 04:30 PM
The advantage of the tape is next time you take it apart!

John

Yes that's what I was thinking, it's the third time I've had my gearbox out in two years and I seem to get more dirt on the sealant every time. Thanks the suggestions :cool:

Lotz-A-Landies
11th September 2012, 04:32 PM
Yes John is correct the tape can be easier next time it is removed, however I have personally found that panels sealed with the compound have better vibration/sound reduction qualities. However it is very much a personal choice and how urgent the job is or how much running around you want to do finding the tape.

What ever you do, don't be too excessive with compound, it can be messy but cleans up with petrol or turps.

Diana

gromit
12th September 2012, 03:11 PM
Wurth have the sealant and tape.
Not cheap though.
Company Catalogue September 2012 (http://www.wurth.com.au/Catalogue/index.html#/252/)

Colin

gromit
17th September 2012, 05:56 PM
Bunnings have Sikaflex-227 which is listed as "Ideal for most automotive bonding & sealing applications, vibration & sound deadening". Available in black & white.
Same stuff is available from 'Super Cheap' at a higher price.....

Colin