PDA

View Full Version : stones,brake backing plates. 4wding.

baldivistribe
23rd September 2012, 09:54 PM
Hello all
finally after 11months of ownership we finally had our d4 off the bitumen today. We were impressed, the 3.0 litre is brilliant.
Went well except we kept getting stones caught between the disc and the backing plate. The d4 i was with had no issues.
Has anyone else had this occur, it drove us nuts.
Cheers
steve

clubagreenie
23rd September 2012, 10:46 PM
Always been one of the first things I've done. If you want to be extreme, remove your drum brake backing plates.

oldsalt
24th September 2012, 07:32 AM
Always been one of the first things I've done. If you want to be extreme, remove your drum brake backing plates.

This is something I haven't heard of ... could you give us more information please :)

Redback
24th September 2012, 08:51 AM
This is something I haven't heard of ... could you give us more information please :)

Yes very interesting, I've never heard of a D4 with drum brakes (the hand doesn't count) my D4 has disc brakes and so did my D2.

baldivistribe, I'd say you were just unlucky, we have our D4 offroad quite a bit and only had this problem once or twice.

Baz.

clubagreenie
24th September 2012, 09:02 AM
Picture drum brakes, now picture removing the backing plates and keep them working....

CaverD3
24th September 2012, 10:33 AM
club a greenie,

Think about what you wrote. :angel::Rolling:

Ferret
24th September 2012, 11:10 AM
I think he means the hand break drum backing plate. D4 (probably D3 too) do not have a central drum hand break. Instead they have mini drum breaks built into each wheel actuated when the hand break is pulled on. I have had small sticks caught inside one hand brake drum housing. They make a hell of a whining noise.

Didn't know you can remove the backing plate though.

clubagreenie
24th September 2012, 05:23 PM
I know what I wrote. Removing the baking plate is about as extreme as proning out n a body board.

CaverD3
24th September 2012, 05:45 PM
Original question:

Hello all
finally after 11months of ownership we finally had our d4 off the bitumen today. We were impressed, the 3.0 litre is brilliant.
Went well except we kept getting stones caught between the disc and the backing plate. The d4 i was with had no issues.
Has anyone else had this occur, it drove us nuts.
Cheers
steve

Clubageenie replied:

Picture drum brakes, now picture removing the backing plates and keep them working....

D3/4 has disk brakes, the question was about disk brakes. So WTF?

Clubagreenie replies:

I know what I wrote. Removing the baking plate is about as extreme as proning out n a body board.(sic)

If he is saying that the backing plate of the EPB drums can be removed to solve the EPB issues with mud it is a differnt issue but I would like to know more if that is the case. :D

Meccles
24th September 2012, 06:39 PM
I have seen removing the backing plates from the brakes (discs) being discussed on UK forums before, with consensus that the backing plate really serves very little purpose other than to catch stones in. It is supposed to protect the discs from these same stone, which once caught pose more risk. Me, I haven't had any stones caught so am not going down this road but, if circumstances changed, would consider it.

baldivistribe
26th September 2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the comments people, it really was a pain having to stop often to try and remove stones caught between the disc and the backing plate thing. I hope that's what it is called. Hopefully it was just a once off, and I haven't damaged anything.
Cheers
Steve

Graeme
26th September 2012, 10:07 PM
Its called a stone guard but doesn't always work.

Lotz-A-Landies
26th September 2012, 10:36 PM
Picture drum brakes, now picture removing the backing plates and keep them working....Now that IS extreme!
Very short life expectation but surely a candidate for a Darwin Award!

clubagreenie
27th September 2012, 09:09 AM
Finally someone who understands

CaverD3
28th September 2012, 01:40 PM
So you meant disk backing plate not drum backing plate?

clubagreenie
28th September 2012, 05:38 PM
No, I meant drum. It would be extreme. You'd have the drum, and not much else.