PDA

View Full Version : Starter wiring

happydad59
26th September 2012, 06:41 PM
Just bought some one elses unfinished project, 173 red engine in Series iia 88". The previous owner has removed all the wiring because it was a highly modified mess. She has re-wired the lights and blinkers, but I now want to get the ignition/starter wiring done. I have a generic (non-original) key switch and would like confirmation of the main connections needed. I am assuming that with an alternator I don't need the "voltage regulator" that is shown is series 2a wiring diagrams.
1. Battery to main pole of starter motor
2. Starter motor pole to centre of key switch (power in to key)
3. crank position on key to starter solenoid (does this need a relay?)
4. Ignition position on key to ballast resistor, other end of resistor to coil. Coil has wire to distributor as well.
5. Alternator to battery (heavy cable, charging circuit)

Is this basically correct, are there more connections needed?

Now some questions:
one mechanic suggested I need a wire from crank position to +ve on coil (i suppose this is ballast resistor). He said it makes starting easier- any comments?
I am unsure of how to connect the simple "charge" bulb on the instrument panel. Can it be used like the alternator light (to indicate alternator is not charging?) and how would it need to be wired?
What's left of the original land rover wiring has the charge bulb and the instrument light bulb connected into single plug - why would this be?
The land rover wiring diagram shows voltage stabiliser between power source and fuel gauge and tank sender. What does this do and is it neccessary.