PDA

View Full Version : 405 - First drive...

camel_landy
29th September 2012, 05:20 AM
Well, I’m on a mission... I need to deliver a 405, to Iceland, ready for Top Gear to do a review!! I left Gaydon Thursday lunchtime and will finally arrive in Reykjavik Tues evening. So, plenty of time to get my head around the new car... :)

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/93.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/94.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/95.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/96.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/09/97.jpg

The car I’ve got is an Autobiography, running the 4.4 SDV8. With normal driving, I’m getting 34.1mpg (8.2L/KM)... I don’t hang around and have been doing 130kmh on the motorways, etc. Driving like ‘Miss Daisy’ I recon you should be able to get significantly better. Mind you, those figures went straight out the window when I hit the German Autobahns :twisted:

It is a VERY nice car... I love the driver’s seat. Adjustable in more ways than I thought possible, heated, chilled and with a built in massage system!

The Meridian sound system is just awesome, very simple integration with iPods, etc... BT Phone integration works really well. There is more storage than you can shake a stick at. The centre fridge is really deep and I’m loving the new compartment that’s built into the door ‘arm-rest’ (I’ll get a photo if I remember).

So, whadda ya want to know???

M

stevo
29th September 2012, 05:44 AM
How do I get your job?:p

Barefoot Dave
29th September 2012, 12:48 PM
Better get a lawyer, Son,
Better get a real good one!

Hope you have a good book deal, like te old Stig to offset the legal cost once TG find out you've scooped them;-) ;-)

But seriously, thanks for the photos mate, wish I had the bux for one.
Dave.

Homestar
30th September 2012, 06:50 PM
One of the things I have been wondering on these, is if the rear storage space is smaller than the previous model, as the back is more steeply raked than the L322.

Also, a couple of pics of the interior, and the whole dash layout would be great.:)

Cheers - Gav

CSBrisie
1st October 2012, 10:24 AM
Is there still a space in the boot (compartment in floor on drivers side) for a second battery? Or under bonnet? Cheers

101RRS
1st October 2012, 10:34 AM
That styling makes it look like a large Korean SUV - not the timeless styling of its predecessors and will date quickly - I would expect quite a few facelifts through its life.

The technology may be great but the styling - yuk.

Garry

Homestar
1st October 2012, 01:44 PM
That styling makes it look like a large Korean SUV - not the timeless styling of its predecessors and will date quickly - I would expect quite a few facelifts through its life.

Garry

Couldn't agree more, they seem to have taken away eveything that made them unique.

camel_landy
1st October 2012, 06:55 PM
One of the things I have been wondering on these, is if the rear storage space is smaller than the previous model, as the back is more steeply raked than the L322.

Also, a couple of pics of the interior, and the whole dash layout would be great.:)
I've not compared the 322 & 405 side by side but if the storage is any smaller, it'll be marginal. There is more space for the rear passengers so with the seats down, you're probably got more storage.

I'll see what I can do for interior pics however, in general the dash is less cluttered with more controls on the touch screen.

M

camel_landy
1st October 2012, 06:57 PM

Garry
I know what you mean but wait until you see it in real life... ;)

It has got everything that says 'Range Rover'. :cool:

M

DT-P38
2nd October 2012, 12:17 AM
If you get a chance some side profile pics of the suspension at the various height settings would be cool. And can you confirm what they did to allow 900mm wade depth? Is bonnet super sealed or computers-elec's located higher or what?

Also curious to know if factory third row seats are avail or will that wait until the extended wheelbase version is released?

camel_landy
3rd October 2012, 05:08 PM
I haven't got pics at all the heights but I've got a couple which I'll post later. what's handy though is that there are 2x off-road heights... the lower setting is for those that need clearance but also a bit of speed, such as sand or gravel. This setting will work up to 80km/h.

900mm is the wading depth. ;)

As for 2nd batteries... Pass. I've got some engine bay pics but there doesn't look to be enough space there for one. The battery is now stored in the boot, with the spare wheel and done in such a way to use the weight of them as dampers.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1592.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1593.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1594.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1595.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1596.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1597.jpg

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1598.jpg

M

ovalnews
6th October 2012, 02:01 AM
Wow, what a fun trip!!

If you're still accepting questions, does the speedo display have any connection with the GPS or Audio system? Will it show audio information or maybe GPS directional info? Or is it still just a gimmick with no real advantage to being digital?

Thanks!!

camel_landy
6th October 2012, 06:25 AM
Wow, what a fun trip!!

If you're still accepting questions, does the speedo display have any connection with the GPS or Audio system? Will it show audio information or maybe GPS directional info? Or is it still just a gimmick with no real advantage to being digital?

Thanks!!
I'm up for questions but I'd rather they come from individuals than a "LR News" site... Personally, I'd prefer your questioning to be directed towards Land Rover PR or form your own decision from a test drive.

M

Pedro_The_Swift
6th October 2012, 06:50 AM
Impressions on the 8 speed around town?(did you actually drive through one?:p)

ovalnews
6th October 2012, 07:11 AM
I'm up for questions but I'd rather they come from individuals than a "LR News" site... Personally, I'd prefer your questioning to be directed towards Land Rover PR or form your own decision from a test drive.

M

Seriously? I am an individual who happens to be a fanatical Land Rover owner - '71 IIA, '81 RR, '11 RR Autobiography(with many other model years in between). I happen to have a Land Rover news site, or should I say "news" site.

My biggest complaint with the 2010 refresh had been the digital gauges that don't do anything all that special. I was just curious.

You posted this great trip and I was just asking about it, not sure what I did wrong here. You could have answered my question in fewer words than your response.

Have fun everybody.

Pedro_The_Swift
6th October 2012, 07:24 AM
Nice site,,

"we" dont seem to rate a mention though,,:(

ovalnews
6th October 2012, 07:26 AM
Nice site,,

Haha, are you talking to me?

camel_landy
6th October 2012, 07:35 AM
Seriously?
Yes, seriously...

I'm sure you can understand my hesitation with what appears to be a bit of a 'loaded', journalistic type question. A question from someone, from the USA, on an Australian site, who has signed up purely to ask that question.

Frankly, you could quite easily ask that question of the 10MY L322... ;)

In the context of the L322, have you tried it in low-range and one of the TR programs (such as mud & ruts)? IMO - This is where the display comes into its own as it'll move the speedo off to one side, giving you more real-estate to display the 4x4 info screen. This is much more useful than having a speedo range, which you'll never use coz you're in low range.

You'd never get this with fixed dials.

M

camel_landy
6th October 2012, 07:41 AM
Impressions on the 8 speed around town?(did you actually drive through one?:p)
Haha... I had the Reykjavik rush hour to contend with but TBH - I didn't really notice...

M

ovalnews
6th October 2012, 08:09 AM
Yes, seriously...

I'm sure you can understand my hesitation with what appears to be a bit of a 'loaded', journalistic type question. A question from someone, from the USA, on an Australian site, who has signed up purely to ask that question.

M

Again, seriously, a "loaded' question? I'm just curious and yes I did sign up because of the link to this post from another board I participate in. Do you think I'm trying to break some huge story? This really makes me laugh.

As I said, I've got an '11 L322 now, had an '03, '06, '08 in the past, so I know exactly what the gauges can and can't do.

They have a digital canvas that up to now only does tricks when you play with Terrain Response. For the 2010 refresh, I always felt it was nothing more than a beta test for what they could do with the L405. Now with the L405 out, I was hoping to see that they have done more.

In early L322 2010 PR, they showed it displaying song titles, but that never materialized in the final product. As I have to keep repeating, I'm an LR fanatic, but it's really nothing more than a gimmick in the L322. They should give it daily functionality and not just when we're using it off-road. With Mr. McGovern going for those "jewel-like" features, a real set of nicely made dials could be a better choice.

Can I ask, are you supposed to be posting these pictures? Does official LR care?

And, I just wonder, would another member of this site, do me a favor and ask about the dials? They don't seem to believe I'm just a curious individual.

I just wanted to know if the gauges do something new...

ovalnews
6th October 2012, 08:28 AM
Nice site,,

Purely an oversight:

Added to:
Forums | Ovalnews.com (http://www.ovalnews.com/forums)

Even your own post:
AULRO, a Land Rover site from Down Under, just don't ask questions, they may seem loaded or journalistic (http://www.ovalnews.com/2012/10/aulro-a-land-rover-site-from-down-under-just-dont-ask-questions-they-may-seem-loaded-or-journalistic-landrover.html)

Pedro_The_Swift
6th October 2012, 08:43 AM
hmm
"a UK based RR sport board"

well the link is good!:D

ovalnews
6th October 2012, 08:51 AM
Ha, sorry about that, bad copy and paste. All fixed now.

camel_landy
7th October 2012, 05:25 AM
Sorry guys, due to the recent publicity this thread has received, I've had to remove the images for now... This is due to the bandwidth limits on my host, which I've almost reached and it's only the 6th!!! :o

I'll probably turn them back on next month but for now, if you want to see the pics, you can see them on my Facebook page.

M

camel_landy
12th November 2012, 09:25 AM
New month... New bandwidth allocation. :D

I've also noticed a big write up in the Top Gear mag & on Cars, driving, Jeremy Clarkson, James May, Richard Hammond - BBC Top Gear Australia (http://www.topgear.com:) 'Range Rover vs Iceland'. :cool:

M

LRTech23
19th November 2012, 04:12 PM

Did your one have leather or suede roof? I was playing with a couple of 405's today, the premium sound is awesome.

Gotta say, the red leather on this one though is a bit... Well lets say individual.

Barefoot Dave
19th November 2012, 06:26 PM
So I'll state the bleedin obvious for those that are taking things personally, C Landy, correct me if I'm wrong.

It is one thing to post some photos on a general LR interest website, but another to provide info to a perceived webzine.
Splitting hairs you might say, but it is all perception, I'm sure you understand.
Dave.

camel_landy
19th November 2012, 09:17 PM
Did your one have leather or suede roof? I was playing with a couple of 405's today, the premium sound is awesome.
Neither... Mine had the glass roof. :cool:

M

LRTech23
20th November 2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah all these ones have glass roofs aswell, but the a, b, c pillar trims and all the rest of the roof lining that isn't glass.

You either get suede or leather

camel_landy
21st November 2012, 05:31 AM
Yeah all these ones have glass roofs aswell, but the a, b, c pillar trims and all the rest of the roof lining that isn't glass.

You either get suede or leather
Ah... OK. Those bits.

TBH - I didn't notice. I was too busy enjoying the drive or getting to know the in-car systems. :D

M

DT-P38
21st November 2012, 09:39 PM
Please can you get some static side profile photos of the various suspension settings?!?! Also, did I read somewhere it actually has sonar? How does the driver view underwater objects in muddy water?

LRTech23
21st November 2012, 09:54 PM
Please can you get some static side profile photos of the various suspension settings?!?! Also, did I read somewhere it actually has sonar? How does the driver view underwater objects in muddy water?

We have about 10 405's where I am at the moment, we may play with them either tomorrow or Friday, and play eight the different levels, I think the highest setting we will have to jack up, but if I can get some pictures I'd be glad to share them!

camel_landy
22nd November 2012, 08:51 PM
I think someone might be either pulling your leg or getting confused with the radar unit as used on the Adaptive Cruise Control (which has been a feature for a few years now).

TBH - The profile pics of the different suspension settings doesn't do it justice. I tried but it just doesn't come across in pics. It isn't until you get it off-road, see the articulation and how much travel you have... That's when it looks impressive!!! :cool:

M

LRTech23
23rd November 2012, 07:29 AM
Yeah he's right, you need a jack or some obstacles to show how good it really is

DT-P38
24th November 2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah he's right, you need a jack or some obstacles to show how good it really is

Righto then. Thanks anyway.

jotape
6th December 2012, 04:31 AM
I remeber reading something about a sonar for wading but was a feature to implement in the future Defender.

sniegy
12th December 2012, 01:51 PM
Afternoon All,

I too have just spent 2 days in the Blue Mountains with these vehicles in all Engine Forms & Spec Levels.
It was a sales pitched course, but I did learn something & was a lot of fun.

We now have 4 levels of spec.
HSE. TDV6 only
Vogue. TDV6 & SDV8 only
Vogue SE. SDV8 & 5.0 S/C only
Autobiography. SDV8 & 5.0 S/C only

&

We Now also have 3 Engine specs.
TDV6 190KW / 600Nm. 0-100 7.9s. Combined fuel econ. 7.5/100. CO2 196g/km
SDV8 250KW / 700Nm. 0-100 6.9s. Combined fuel econ. 8.7/100. CO2 229g/km
5.0 S/C 375KW / 625Nm. 0-100 5.4s. Combined fuel econ. 13.8/100 CO2 322g/km

On road.....
The most surprising engine to drive was the TDV6, it was quick, only a second slower than the SDV8 & it's handling was extremely good compared to its heavier brothers. The weight factor that has been removed in these vehicles now is extremely noticeable.
Comparing New TDV6 to old TDV8 reduced by 420kg. New SDV8 to old TDV8 reduced by 220kg & the New 5.0 S/C to the old 5.0 S/C reduced by 250kg. Is it noticeable when you drive? hell yes!
These things handle brilliantly & drive on road so behaved it is not funny.
Land Rover strived to make the difference between the old & new noticeable & it is.

Dimensions haven't changed much either, looks can be & are deceiving.
New L405 is only 27mm longer, 4mm wider including mirrors, yet it is 42mm lower & offers rear seat passengers more comfort.

All the new technology put into these vehicles is amazing, Adaptive Cruise Control (now includes) with Queue Assist & Intelligent Emergency Braking works brilliantly, Queue assist will stop the vehicle for you (and is a weird feeling not touching the brakes) at a stop sign or lights. Intelligent Emergency Braking doesn't stop the vehicle but preloads the modulator with up to 10 Bar of pressure so to reduce the impact speed in an accident, obviously reducing weight which is what LR did already helps again to reduce injuries in an accident.
Meridian now do the sound systems in all the vehicles, up to 29 speakers & 1700W if that's what floats your boat :-)

Off roading...
We were encouraged to use the TR2 system in automatic ! What the I thought!!!
Well I tried it, it works..What the. . . .
You still have the manual system where you choose what terrain you are in & away you go, but this is really going to appeal to clients that know that the vehicle can do what is has to when asked by choosing the lazy....sorry auto mode.
The TDV6 & 1 of the supercharged vehicles did not have the rear diff lock option, the TDV6 did everything all the other vehicles did, but on a small climb on a big climb you had to use a small amount of momentum to clear the climb.
These things just made the offloading too too easy, it really WAS just a matter of point & steer!
Never got to test out the amazing 900mm wading depth, Damn ;-) Cleverly designed system that uses part of the bonnet to tunnel air to the air filter.

Ph.1 The line up of Drive vehicles, all different Engines & Spec's.
Ph.2 Its a color choice, were all different ;-)
Ph.3 The start of the Off road section.
Ph.4 The new badging, sleek, modern & looks the goods.
Any more questions ask away.
Cheers all.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

DT-P38
12th December 2012, 11:14 PM
VERY jealous!

One day it will be mine!

camel_landy
12th December 2012, 11:37 PM
Blimey, 'Sales Pitched'... I think you were severely beaten with the marketing manual!! :D

Glad you had a great time with the new car, she's a beauty. :cool:

As you say, off-roading in these things is sooooooo easy. When they were testing the prototypes up at Eastnor, we had to go out with the digger & dig bigger holes as it just was not getting stuck. Even on a recent 'ride & drive' event, L405s on road rubber were making tracks look easy compared to the instructors in the D4s on MTRs!! :eek:

Amazing bit of kit.

M

33chinacars
13th December 2012, 02:45 AM
VERY jealous!

One day it will be mine!

Me TOO That is after I rob a bank or 2 :angel:

Gary

benji
14th December 2012, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=33chinacars;1814631]Me TOO That is after I rob a bank or 2 :angel:

Lol, you'd have to rob a main branch :twisted:

I've just bought a $117,000 vehicle for $5400 though, so i'm not in for a chance; but in 10 years time I wonder how much they'll be worth considering you can pick up an L322 for around $20,000 now.

Finished reading the owners manual yesterday; it's another 25 years ahead!!
One interesting feature was when extended height is activated, one can push the up switch with the brake pedal pressed and it will go up further.

Sniegy I read about the active aerodynamics in front of the radiators, but do you have any more info. on the air intake, sounds interesting.

sniegy
14th December 2012, 09:59 PM
TDV6 only, computer controlled with an array of 26 settings from memory.
It all depends on loads, drive, temp etc.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

DiscoMick
15th December 2012, 02:33 PM
I read that the automatic terrain response lifts it 75mm off-road, if it grounds it lifts another 35mm and if a button is pushed it lifts another 35mm, so a total of 150mm above standard ride height, is that right?

A question re. the tyres - no doubt we'll be told the standard tyres won't cope with Aussie rocky roads, and there aren't many ATs available in 19s, 20s and 22s - what's your take on this?

sniegy
15th December 2012, 03:06 PM
I read that the automatic terrain response lifts it 75mm off-road, if it grounds it lifts another 35mm and if a button is pushed it lifts another 35mm, so a total of 150mm above standard ride height, is that right?

A question re. the tyres - no doubt we'll be told the standard tyres won't cope with Aussie rocky roads, and there aren't many ATs available in 19s, 20s and 22s - what's your take on this?
Hi Mick,
Yes that is correct, the other benefit is that the system has 2 off road heights & one that will maintain off road height up to 80Kph, once 85 is reached & kept the system will then drop to its normal mode.

There are AT's & MT's available in 19 & 20, Cooper & General Tire make tyres for the sizes. (may not be exact sizes tho')(As with all new vehicles, Like the D3-Tyres will follow as all manufacturers rims are getting bigger)
Ahh 22's....Hmm If you have 22's then i dont think you would want to go off road with them...;)

Cheers

DiscoMick
15th December 2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks. Yes, the General Grabber AT, Pirelli Scorpion ATR and Cooper Zeon LTZ, I believe.

I mentioned the tyre issue because a local mag. used it as an excuse to reject the Discovery as 4WD of the Year a while back.

33chinacars
15th December 2012, 09:42 PM
You'd be right there Benji. Main branch it would have to be.:wasntme:
Yes bought MY99 P38 ( $119000 ) for $12500

Then MY05 L322 (~ $120,000 ) for $48000 in top condition about 20 months ago.

So going on that in 10 years time L405 ( ~ $200,000 ) who knows $50,000 - $80,000. I'll just have to wait. AND dream

Gary

DT-P38
6th October 2013, 03:36 AM
I don't want a second hand one.

benji
10th October 2013, 05:39 PM
I used to say that about the p38s Dave, especially when they started using canbus. But thats proved quite reliable, and I think landrover have learnt a few hard lessons with the l322, and thats reflected in the reliability of the d4.

As the consumer knowledge base increases (who remembers when eas first came out - it was voodoo magic) all that stuff will be home servicable.