PDA

View Full Version : LT tyre for 18" rims

Tombie
3rd October 2012, 07:22 AM
There is now a LT tyre available to fit the 18" rims without going to far from stock sizing:
Bridgestone now do a Dueler D697 in 265-60-18LT 114S ;)

Its only 12mm larger in diameter (2%) so will fit nicely.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/11/505.jpg
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/1619.jpg

Redback
3rd October 2012, 09:20 AM
Finally, how long have 18s been here on 4WDs, must be because the 200 series has 18s as standard now.

Baz.

roamer
3rd October 2012, 02:08 PM
Gords , mentioned those tyres a few weeks ago but all the experts could not find them and said no not LT ;)
They have been getable for 5mths now and seem to be wearing well on the L/Cruiser
I even posted a photo of cut away steel belts in them, but could not be bothered defending myself

cherrs Ken

gghaggis
3rd October 2012, 03:05 PM
Gords , mentioned those tyres a few weeks ago but all the experts could not find them and said no not LT ;)
They have been getable for 5mths now and seem to be wearing well on the L/Cruiser
I even posted a photo of cut away steel belts in them, but could not be bothered defending myself

cherrs Ken

I don't think you needed to "defend yourself"?? I simply asked for confirmation, as that particular size and load-rating isn't listed on any of the official Bridgestone web-pages (or at least it wasn't at the time - haven't checked again). Plenty of posters have accidentally typed out the wrong sizes when talking of tyres, myself included. I note that the above pic is not that size either.

Cheers,

Gordon

Edit: Just re-checked the Australian site, and yes, this size is now listed, and as an LT!

roamer
3rd October 2012, 04:04 PM
Gordon, I never questioned Gords about the D697s being in LT you did
(obviously I already had a set),not everything on the net is true,

I was showing him some of the strengths in the construction and a test that had been done on them.,
and that the tyres I have in the shed with pin holes on the outside tread and 100mm splits on the inside are because when I drive 500km on gravel/gibber roads I need to steer around the rocks.

Maybe "defend" should have been "couldn't be bothered"

Oh well Ken

scarry
3rd October 2012, 06:22 PM
Doesn't a 114 load rating seem a bit low for an LT?

Tombie
3rd October 2012, 08:11 PM
Doesn't a 114 load rating seem a bit low for an LT?

Consider that the sidewall is at the minimum end for height and they would be at the lower end. Still better than a XL P tyre

DoctorJ
3rd October 2012, 08:17 PM
I've heard really good reports about the Dueler so it will be interesting to see what D3 owners think, there have been too few options out there so far.

Cheers
Julian

Gords
4th October 2012, 12:47 PM
Cheers Tombie, yep they're the ones I was quoted over the phone.

For those interested, I was quoted $485 a tyre...

AnD3rew
5th October 2012, 07:17 PM
There are some bad reviews of them on the net with reports of poor wear, and bad wet grip.

I am wary of Bridgesone Duelers since I bought a Vitara a few years ago with standard Duelers (not AT). And they were truly dangerous, the slightest bit of wet would have the car skating all over the road. Replaced them with some quite cheap Maxxis tyres and it transformed the vehicle, the difference was dramatic and it was all down to the awful original tyres.

boofdtl
8th October 2012, 01:51 PM
I can do them for $410 each fitted and balanced

101RRS
8th October 2012, 02:29 PM
What would be the difference in the construction of P rated and LT rated tyres if the following applied.

Both are 205/60R18 ATs, same speed rating and the same load rating of 120. Why would a LT supposedly be better??

Thanks

Garry

Tombie
10th October 2012, 08:46 AM
What would be the difference in the construction of P rated and LT rated tyres if the following applied.

Both are 205/60R18 ATs, same speed rating and the same load rating of 120. Why would a LT supposedly be better??

Thanks

Garry

Stronger side walls (thicker)...
Tougher and deeper tread and base of tread thickness
Stronger / thicker / more (depends) belts
LT slightly heavier (mass)

But you wont see an LT of the same size as a P with the same load rating ;)

tims29
11th October 2012, 11:31 PM
Does anyone know where to get these tyres? Every Bridgestone dealer I have contacted either didn't know of them or said they were unavailable with no future date for stock!
I am looking for a set ASAP

go-disco4
12th October 2012, 07:10 PM
Hi All

The Dueler D697 265/60/18 sounds just the thing for the D3/D4 normally running on 255/60/18 tyres

I assume that the slight difference in size would not make the car unroadworthy or illegal or damage the driveline and would fit with no issues?

Is that correct?

What would it do to the speedo reading?

regards
GD-4

~Rich~
12th October 2012, 07:47 PM
Bugger all difference!

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/10/940.jpg

Tombie
12th October 2012, 10:20 PM
Does anyone know where to get these tyres? Every Bridgestone dealer I have contacted either didn't know of them or said they were unavailable with no future date for stock!
I am looking for a set ASAP

RIng Bridgestone direct :)

And if no success - tirerack.com very quick to deliver

Graeme
13th October 2012, 05:44 AM
I don't know if Bridgestone is included but Tirerack now wont ship some brands (eg BFG) to Australia because of a threat by the manufacturers to not supply them any more stock.

Desert Traveller
13th October 2012, 07:25 PM
I have problems with Bridgestone HTs, too hard to get good wear but they were VERY poor in the wet. Bridgestone ATs have always performed.

Tombie
1st November 2012, 03:05 PM
Cheers Tombie, yep they're the ones I was quoted over the phone.

For those interested, I was quoted $485 a tyre...

Just got mine quoted... They are fitting when I get back from my stint at the mine site...

I'm up for $360 per tyre F&B.... And they are Ex-stock so all good...

They do look nice in the flesh...

Can't wait to have a decent A/T on the vehicle. Especially LT construction :cool:

dunnymel
2nd March 2013, 08:20 AM
It seems a few people were gunna fit the Bridgestone AT 697LT earlier in this thread.
Are there any updated comments on performance on/ off road? How do these compare with other A/T tyres you've had?
I have spent literally a day combing the forums for discussions on 265/60/18 for my D4 2.7, and have boiled it down to this one and a few others.

Cheers
Andrew

lrdef110
2nd March 2013, 08:58 AM
I have these fitted but have only done about 3,000km on them. I reckon they are quieter than the 19" GG/AT and definitely provide a better feel/ride but this is probably more to do with going from 19" with little rubber between the rim and road to more rubber/air. I have done one 4wd trip and they performed faultlessly. I did have 18" GG/AT2 and 17" Mickey Thompson ATZ 5 rib on my previous D3 and would rate the Bridgestone substantially higher than both these tyres. (The MT ATZ chipped very badly on gravel roads in Central Aus). If I had to make the choice again it would be a no brainer.
Cheers

Tombie
2nd March 2013, 12:03 PM
Had mine on since mid November (and got them cheaper again - $340.00 each F&B)..

Extremely happy... Rolling through 10,000km on them now and they are great.

Even handle reasonably well in our mud we have here on site.

Although I'm not so happy that my vehicle is covered in 72,000DTS Mud at the moment :(:o

dunnymel
3rd March 2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks Tombie.
Nice one. Wow, where did you get that price?
Do they feel solid on wet black-top? (assuming you've seen proper rain since mid November. We sure haven't!).
What about road noise?

dunnymel
3rd March 2013, 04:29 PM
This link gives a favorable review for the Bridgestone D697LT, when run on inferior vehicles. Encouraging comments re on-road and off road.

New Bridgestone D697LT and video (http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-tyres-and-wheels/new-bridgestone-d697lt)

Tombie
4th March 2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks Tombie.
Nice one. Wow, where did you get that price?
Do they feel solid on wet black-top? (assuming you've seen proper rain since mid November. We sure haven't!).
What about road noise?

Whyalla was the source!

Very solid on the Black top, and off...

Did 600km in the Rain on the way up here last week (rained all but 3km of the trip) and they are sure-footed and responsive.

mattjtaylor2809
12th March 2013, 06:13 PM
Hi All,

1st post on this site so pls take it easy!!

I'm also relatively new to the 4X4 caper & have had my D4 2.7 for only 10 months but need to replace the tyres???

I think the stock tyres were Pirelli zero's (255/60 R18) but could be wrong?

Anyway, I need to replace them soon & would like to know people's thoughts on a good tyre for city/highway for 90% of the time + dirt road & sand (Yorke Peninsula in SA). It's not to say that I'll never encounter mud but it would account for 1-2% of my driving.

I've been reading about the DT697LT's but I'm not sure I need such an "off road" tyre?

Any suggestions, help would be appreciated

Cheers
Matt

gghaggis
12th March 2013, 06:41 PM
After spending a day with a group of D4's off-road, it was interesting to compare the performance of the Bridgestone D697. Grip when rock-climbing on slippery surfaces was impressive - virtually no wheel spin where others did. Not as good as the Mickey Thompson STZ in sand, tended to dig more and needed lower pressures (~ 2psi).

Cheers,

Gordon

Tombie
12th March 2013, 07:32 PM
Yes that sounds correct Gordon.

The STZ is a P construction and lengthens tread at higher pressure than the LT D697.

joeys
13th March 2013, 06:07 AM
Gordon, in your professional opinion would you recommend these as the tyre of choice for a D4? 90% road and 10% off road is my usage. From reading all tyre reports on this sight, the D697 sound the most promising and a recognized LT

gghaggis
13th March 2013, 11:46 AM
Gordon, in your professional opinion would you recommend these as the tyre of choice for a D4? 90% road and 10% off road is my usage. From reading all tyre reports on this sight, the D697 sound the most promising and a recognized LT

They're a good all-round tyre and if also towing large trailers/caravans/boats, would probably be the top of my list. I think the Mickey Thompson STZ is a better off-road tyre in terms of grip and sand performance, but if you want an LT tyre then go the Bridgestone.

Of course, if you don't mind going oversize (issues with fitting the spare, small mods required), you have to consider the Cooper Zeon LTZ.

Cheers,

Gordon

trebor
13th March 2013, 01:46 PM
Was intending to use a second hand, 50 percent worn set of GG AT2 for a trip along the Great Central Road into the Pilbara and on up into the Kimberley in May. My choice of second spare was a new Dueller D697. Got it home an it looked so good have decided to take the plunge now and put on a new set of 4 Dueller 697s for the trip.

The price differences quoted were striking. Obtained quotes from Bob Jane and Tyrepower for the one off spare purchase. Their respective prices were $450 and $435. Went to B Select in Norwood and got the remaing three for $400 a piece.

As we are reminded time and time again, it pays to shop around!

Nick

dunnymel
25th March 2013, 08:24 PM
I had D697 LT's fitted at Mt Barker Bridgestone on Saturday ($394 per corner plus spare including small discount with RAA card). They look tough but not in your face.
Initial thoughts are that blacktop road noise is similar to the factory rubber which has been observed by others.

AGRO
26th March 2013, 04:22 AM
Looking at the Bridgestone web site this tyre has a load rating of 114 and speed rating S.

I can't see the max psi the tyre has.

Can you guys please let me know what is stated on the tyre.

I am also curious as to what the ply rating. Seems as though the tyre may have 2 ply side walls.

Graeme
26th March 2013, 07:03 AM
I had a good look at these fitted to a Jeep a few days ago. They look much more solid at the tread edges and the tread pattern is considerably more open than what I imagined from the pictures. I would have fitted these to GOE rims instead of doing my 2.7 brake conversion to fit 17" LT tyres had they been available at the time.

My LT245/70-17 LI 119 GY Duratracs have only 2 sidewall plies although my Yoko AT-S with the same specs have 3 plies.

dunnymel
26th March 2013, 10:11 AM
This is what they look like on factory 18 inch rims.

Tinman
26th March 2013, 10:22 AM
Have had a set of Bridgestone 697LT'S on my D3 for about 4 weeks now did a run down the coast the other week towing my boat. Found the tyres to be very positive when cornering proberly due to the tyres being 8 ply and having a stronger side wall. Load at max pressure is 65psi so I filled them to 50psi. Found them to be quite and a smooth ride. Put the boat in on the sand and pulled it out on the sand with the 50psi in the tyres with no problems. Have had GG's and Coopers before but this tyre so far seem much better. Havnt taken them 4x4 ing yet, but will be next month. Paid $345 bridgestone campbelltown NSW.

DiscoWeb
26th March 2013, 06:37 PM
Hi All,

1st post on this site so pls take it easy!!

Anyway, I need to replace them soon & would like to know people's thoughts on a good tyre for city/highway for 90% of the time + dirt road & sand (Yorke Peninsula in SA). It's not to say that I'll never encounter mud but it would account for 1-2% of my driving.

I've been reading about the DT697LT's but I'm not sure I need such an "off road" tyre?

Any suggestions, help would be appreciated

Cheers
Matt

Matt,

First welcome!

secondly The DT697 would probably be a bit of overkill based on your use described above.

There are lots of threads about tires for you to search and read that discuss a wide range of tires.

For your use I would consider the Pirelli Scorpion ATR or something similar which might give you better on road performance, quieter ride, better economy and enough dirt and sand performance to be happy.

The LT style tire provides a tougher sidewall which gives better protection off road but can compromise on road comfort?

Hope this helps.

George

lrdef110
26th March 2013, 07:20 PM
George after having the Bridgestone 697 LT's for a while now I can assure you they do not compromise on road performance. In fact I have found these to be better than a lot of AT's I have used in the past. Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers

scarry
26th March 2013, 08:16 PM
I had a good look at these fitted to a Jeep a few days ago. They look much more solid at the tread edges and the tread pattern is considerably more open than what I imagined from the pictures. I would have fitted these to GOE rims instead of doing my 2.7 brake conversion to fit 17" LT tyres had they been available at the time.

My LT245/70-17 LI 119 GY Duratracs have only 2 sidewall plies although my Yoko AT-S with the same specs have 3 plies.

But the 245/70/17 LT have a much higher load rating than the 697's.
The Scorpions that were the 18" OEM tyre on my D4 had a load rating of 112,not far from the 697's.

Just my two cents worth,not knocking the 697's at all.

Dfourfun
26th March 2013, 10:18 PM
dunnymel - it might just be the camera angle, but are these tyres taller than the OEM tyres? If so, any issues spacewise with fitting the spare underneath with the heat shield?

I have a set of GG AT2s on at present that I am reasonably happy with but will need replacement in the not too distant future. These have been good both on the black stuff but also remarkable in mud and shale. My only minor grizzle is that as the tread wears down over time they can squeal and lose grip in the wet on bitumen if cornering hard (then again, maybe that is the driver...:angel:!)

Graeme
27th March 2013, 06:14 AM
But the 245/70/17 LT have a much higher load rating than the 697's.
The Scorpions that were the 18" OEM tyre on my D4 had a load rating of 112,not far from the 697's.Load rating is just that, how much load can be carried at its maximum pressure (80 psi for my LI 119s) at its maximum rated speed for the quite short test time which I cannot remember but as already stated by others, LT rather than P construction is the critical factor when the path gets rocky. The higher LI rated LT tyres may have tougher sidewalls again but also vary between manufacturers.

dunnymel
1st April 2013, 09:44 AM
Dfourfun, yes my understanding is the diameter is 1cm more ie 265/60/18 vs the factory 255/60/18.
The dude that fitted them said it was a slight battle to get the spare in, but managed without having to remove the tow hitch.

PerthDisco
8th April 2013, 05:42 PM
Just had D697's fitted. Only one shop in Perth metro area (Balcatta) had them in stock. Resupply due next month.

Not much mood or incentive to discount on that basis. Paid $415 ea. Well done to those who paid less but I think the popularity of this tyre is taking over. Still seems good value and competitive given its LT advantages.

Compared to the worn out Wranglers it was like flying on a magic carpet coming home. No road noise whatsoever (by comparison).

The shop fills them to 40psi. What's the consensus on the right pressure for long life?

rocmic
20th April 2013, 05:43 PM
tombie et al who have the D697s, could you let me know how they are going. I am up for new tyres and the LTs interest me. I have had a very good quote for Cooper AT3s but the reviews on the various forums are pretty mixed.
thanks
Mike

Tombie
20th April 2013, 05:53 PM
I'm still very happy with mine.

As an all rounder these things are the dogs bollocks!

In all but the most slippery of mud they perform excellent.

In the aforementioned mud they still performed admirably, requiring just a little more care and occasional "spin up" to help clear the tread blocks.

We're talking desert clay - the worst of surfaces! And I still felt confident.

Rohan
20th April 2013, 07:41 PM
I'm still very happy with mine.

As an all rounder these things are the dogs bollocks!

In all but the most slippery of mud they perform excellent.

In the aforementioned mud they still performed admirably, requiring just a little more care and occasional "spin up" to help clear the tread blocks.

We're talking desert clay - the worst of surfaces! And I still felt confident.

X2 ^ cannot fault mine.

trebor
21st April 2013, 04:34 PM
Have had mine on for a month or so now. Fine on the bitumen, alberit more firm and direct. Will be putting them to the test next month: Gunbarrel, Pilbara, Gibb River Road (again), Mitchell Falls. Will provide update after our return on 1st June.
Nick

Ciaran
22nd April 2013, 08:40 PM
I can also report positively on these tyres. Have run them for about 5000km so far including a recent trip to Coffin Bay National Park and Lincoln National Park as well as the Bridle track near Melrose. - All good. Performed well in sand (at 18psi), on limestone outcrops, general dirt roads and they also perform well on the highway, with very little road noise. Would definitely recommend them.

They also seem to do pretty well in the wet. Based on some big downpours in Adelaide recently!

hutchbb
23rd April 2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for info on 18" tyres as I am chasing some myself. Have been quoted $400 for Goodyear Wranglers, 265 65 18 which come with good recomendation but this is from the Goodyear dealer. Look forward to any further posts on 18s

First post from Hutchbb

DiscoWeb
24th April 2013, 08:02 AM
Have been quoted $400 for Goodyear Wranglers, 265 65 18 which come with good recomendation but this is from the Goodyear dealer.

First post from Hutchbb

Hutchbb,

Firstly welcome seeing as it was your first post.

In response to you comment above. Based on what I have read on this forum over a few years the general consensus seems to be the OEM Wrangelrs are rubbish.

Tire wear rate is high, grip is ordinary, subject to damage through the tread on anything but smooth gravel.

If you do a search you can check this feedback for yourself and some is positive but most is negative.

Without sounding condescending and not knowing if you know a huge amount about tires or absolutely nothing I make the following comments.

The key question/consideration is what is your intended use. Are you 99% on road with maybe the odd off road excursion, or are you planning a serious outback touring trip or something in between. This will play a huge part in your tire choice.

The D697's in this thread would be considered a very capable all round tire. Being LT (light truck) construction they are tougher and more durable off road but the tread patter is not so aggressive that they will degrade your on road performance (grip) or drone/hum like big chunky mud tires.

They are currently close to the top of my list for replacement tires. I use my vehicle mostly as a family commuter but like to throw in the odd weekend off road and a couple of harder multiple night trips so a All terrain tire like the D697 is a good compromise.

When I first purchased my D3 it came with Continental Cross Contact UHP rubber, a 100% on road tyre. Great grip, very quite and very economical but useless off road. I changed to an AT tyre as soon as they were worn out.

Hope this helps.

George

rocmic
24th April 2013, 10:45 AM
First welcome Hutchbb
I too have been getting quotes. Are tyres the only thing left in this country where you still have to ring around rather than use the net?

I assume that the Wranglers you are talking about are the SilentArmor ATs, I have two quotes on from Goodyear adn one from Jax - 355 and 400

I have 9 quotes for the Bridgestone D697 ranging from 385 - 450

I am also looking at Mickey Thompson STZ range 348 - 389 and Yokohama ATS 349 - 420

These are all 265/60/18 and the quotes are all from around the Blacktown area in Western Sydney

Since I am replacing 5 tyres on the D3, the Bridgestones are looking a bit on the expensive side.

Anyone here able to comment on the other options?

Cheers
Mike

Tombie
24th April 2013, 07:35 PM
Whilst the others may be good options...

None of them are LT construction.

WhiteD3
28th April 2013, 01:14 PM
Any issues with the 265/60/18 fitting the spare while fully inflated?

Tombie
28th April 2013, 01:31 PM
Any issues with the 265/60/18 fitting the spare while fully inflated?

None...

Little tighter - so you need to align it a little better as you wind it up. That's all.

WhiteD3
28th April 2013, 05:03 PM
I am running Scorpion ATR's now but after 50k the fronts a little thin on the sides. Looking at getting the D697's before June 30.

Celtoid
30th April 2013, 09:01 AM
Whilst the others may be good options...

None of them are LT construction.

I'm going down the 18" wheel track for camping trips etc and am looking at tyre options. I already have ATRs on the 19s which will be my general use tyre, so am looking for something more purposeful. Planning to buy from Tire Rack.

Lots of comments are being made about LT, is it a critical choice do you think?

Need to decide soon.

Cheers,

Kev.

Graeme
30th April 2013, 09:41 AM
Are there enough advantages of any 18" P-rated tyre to justify the expense of at least 5 18" rims?

gghaggis
30th April 2013, 10:09 AM
"LT" doesn't mean a tyre is indestructible. Likewise "P" doesn't necessarily mean a tyre is rubbish. I've got quite a database of 18" rim customers and I try to follow up what people fit and how they find them.

The latest Bridgestone LT's are relatively new, but so far yes, they seem to be an excellent tyre. Other makes in 18" which I've never heard complaints against are the Mickey Thompson STZ, the Goodyear Silent Armor and the Cooper Zeon LTZ.

I've heard of a few of the others, most "P", one LT, causing problems, but in most instances I can't tell if that's the tyre or plain bad luck.

Cheers,

Gordon

Celtoid
30th April 2013, 10:44 AM
So I guess that's what I'm trying to ascertain ... Just cause it's LT may not mean it's better in mud, or another surface due to tread pattern or ability to ballon, etc. I'm not saying that's the case but it may be possible to get an LT that is no better off road than my ATRs.

Does that make sense?

Just trying to get the best out of the bigger rubber options.

Cheers.

Kev

Celtoid
30th April 2013, 10:46 AM
"LT" doesn't mean a tyre is indestructible. Likewise "P" doesn't necessarily mean a tyre is rubbish. I've got quite a database of 18" rim customers and I try to follow up what people fit and how they find them.

The latest Bridgestone LT's are relatively new, but so far yes, they seem to be an excellent tyre. Other makes in 18" which I've never heard complaints against are the Mickey Thompson STZ, the Goodyear Silent Armor and the Cooper Zeon LTZ.

I've heard of a few of the others, most "P", one LT, causing problems, but in most instances I can't tell if that's the tyre or plain bad luck.

Cheers,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, appreciate it.

Kev.

Tombie
30th April 2013, 11:19 AM
There was a thread a while back with cross sectional cuts of the tyres.

The D697 has a LOT more rubber where it matters..

gghaggis
30th April 2013, 12:11 PM
In the 265/60R18 size, the Mickey T has the best off-road traction (of the ones I mentioned). In the 285/60R18 the Cooper Zeon LTZ has to be the choice, and probably the best AT offroad. If you want to go harder, the LT275/65R18 Maxxis BigHorn is the best off-road traction tyre available that will fit, but you need a lot of mods and somewhere to put the spare.

Cheers,

Gordon

Celtoid
30th April 2013, 04:40 PM
In the 265/60R18 size, the Mickey T has the best off-road traction (of the ones I mentioned). In the 285/60R18 the Cooper Zeon LTZ has to be the choice, and probably the best AT offroad. If you want to go harder, the LT275/65R18 Maxxis BigHorn is the best off-road traction tyre available that will fit, but you need a lot of mods and somewhere to put the spare.

Cheers,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

How much modification is 'slight' when talking about the Cooper LTZ fitting....its a fair whack wider than the standard shoe?

Cheers,

Kev.

discotwinturbo
30th April 2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks Gordon,

How much modification is 'slight' when talking about the Cooper LTZ fitting....its a fair whack wider than the standard shoe?

Cheers,

Kev.

I have made no mods to my Cooper 285/60-18's but there is a slight rub at full lock. Gordon told me about a fix for that, but it will reduce turning circle. When I get some time I will modify but its not biggy.

Brett....

Celtoid
30th April 2013, 04:55 PM
I have made no mods to my Cooper 285/60-18's but there is a slight rub at full lock. Gordon told me about a fix for that, but it will reduce turning circle. When I get some time I will modify but its not biggy.

Brett....

Hey Brett,

Thanks for that.

Happy with the tyres?

Cheers,

Kev.

sheerluck
30th April 2013, 04:57 PM

Brett....

Brett, do you get the rub at all heights? Including with the LLAMS?

I ask as I've got a set of LTZs to put on my D3.

Celtoid
30th April 2013, 05:01 PM
Tire Rack don't stock Cooper Tyres (or Tires).....:confused:

gghaggis
30th April 2013, 06:22 PM

The 285/60R18's don't rub on the front on a D3, only the 2010+ models. On a D4 or D3 there is a slight rub at the rear when at full compression, as there is for the 265/70R17 and 265/65R18.

Cheers,

Gordon

discotwinturbo
30th April 2013, 11:13 PM
Hey Brett,

Thanks for that.

Happy with the tyres?

Cheers,

Kev.

Very happy!

They have copped a lot in their short life to date. Plenty of low pressures, getting air, crappy rock strewn roads, heaps of corrugations, and have performed well in rock crawl situations. Also good at climbing tree stumps for picture posing.

Very happy I went for the larger tyres as its transformed the D4.

Brett.....

discotwinturbo
30th April 2013, 11:19 PM

At LLAMS +50 and offroad.....not that I can hear. At other heights its only a slight rub, but has been enough to make the rubbing area shiny.

I can live with it....and I will fix it soon.

I only have them on when I go away for day trips or longer.

I only get a very light scuff at full compression on the rear (climbing tree stumps or on some slow rock crawling when the wheel is pushed right up into the guard).....it's just enough to slightly mark the wheel arch liner. A bit of dust and you can't see the mark.

Brett....

Celtoid
1st May 2013, 10:02 AM
Very happy!

They have copped a lot in their short life to date. Plenty of low pressures, getting air, crappy rock strewn roads, heaps of corrugations, and have performed well in rock crawl situations. Also good at climbing tree stumps for picture posing.

Very happy I went for the larger tyres as its transformed the D4.

Brett.....

Hey Brett,

What about the spare ... Does it fit in ok, hang down excessively?

Cheers,

Kev.

gghaggis
1st May 2013, 10:15 AM
The spare has to be fully deflated to fit, and it does hang a little lower, but still higher than a long range tank. Fitting the towbar can be a struggle - I generally use the jack to help push it past the spare and lock it in. Those with the Mitch Hitch don't have that problem.

Cheers,

Gordon

Tombie
1st May 2013, 10:16 AM
Considering how many times my stock tyre hit things I'd suggest it may see more damage!

Guess it depends what surfaces you drive..

But the leading edge will be 30mm closer to the ground!

Tombie
1st May 2013, 02:23 PM
The spare has to be fully deflated to fit, and it does hang a little lower, but still higher than a long range tank. Fitting the towbar can be a struggle - I generally use the jack to help push it past the spare and lock it in. Those with the Mitch Hitch don't have that problem.

Cheers,

Gordon

Are you sure Gordon?!

I've just fitted a Long Ranger tank and its higher than the front edge of the spare by a notable margin.

gghaggis
1st May 2013, 04:09 PM
Are you sure Gordon?!

I've just fitted a Long Ranger tank and its higher than the front edge of the spare by a notable margin.

I recall that diagram or something similar from when I first looked at modifying my original D3. My reality didn't match the diagram, but I imagine it was an earlier design (don't think it was Long Ranger).

Of course, the car on 285/60R18's will be 17mm higher, right?
;)

Cheers,

Gordon

Celtoid
1st May 2013, 04:35 PM
I recall that diagram or something similar from when I first looked at modifying my original D3. My reality didn't match the diagram, but I imagine it was an earlier design (don't think it was Long Ranger).

Of course, the car on 285/60R18's will be 17mm higher, right?
;)

Cheers,

Gordon

Ah rolling radius .... My next Q, thanks for reminding me.... 😃

Speedo effect?

gghaggis
2nd May 2013, 08:47 AM
Speedo will read slower by 3~5%, as will odometer. There's a couple of threads on here about re-calibrating with a Faultmate.

Cheers,

Gordon

~Rich~
2nd May 2013, 08:54 AM
I actually found the 285/60 R18's made my speedo just about spot on.
This is comparing it to my GPS speed on a nice flat, straight length of freeway using cruise contol.

Standard tyres are reading over the true speed as most speedos are.

gghaggis
2nd May 2013, 09:02 AM
I actually found the 285/60 R18's made my speedo just about spot on.
This is comparing it to my GPS speed on a nice flat, straight length of freeway using cruise contol.

Standard tyres are reading over the true speed as most speedos are.

Did you check the odometer? It generally runs (close to) true.

Cheers,

Gordon

~Rich~
2nd May 2013, 09:29 AM
Yes Gordon, on my 05 D3 I found there is a discrepency between the Odomater & the Speedo!

With Standard Tyres - Odometer correct / Speedo incorrect
With 285/60 R18 tyres - Odometer incorrect / Speedo correct

Dfourfun
12th June 2013, 10:33 PM
I know it is an old thread but 'tyres' is always a popular topic as we keep wearing them out and everyone wants to know how others have faired...
Anyway, my GG AT2 set copped a bit of a beating on the weekend:wasntme: so suddenly I need a new set:(

I thought I'd go with these D697s that others in this thread say are pretty good and step up to a decent set of LT rubber. Easy enough, better ring around for prices and do my homework, but do you think I can actually find a set?? Apparently (and I have my doubts!) there are none available and the next shipment won't be for another 6 weeks or so!

Does anyone know if this could be true or am I being told a pile of :censored:?

I have a trip planned (and paid for) on next weekend so really need a new set in the next 5 days or less. I can get other rubber but consider this a sub-optimal solution given that I now have my heart set on these D697s. Any bright ideas? I'm still hunting around Melbourne and haven't given up yet but I didn't anticipate getting a set of new LT rubber would be such a drama... Sigh.

Rohan
13th June 2013, 07:24 AM
Bummer!
I got mine from Bob Jane if that's any help at all!
Jax in Frankston also had them. This was a couple of months ago, but try everyone, I think these tyres are worth hunting down :)

trebor
16th June 2013, 09:03 PM
Just completed a 12,000km trip in SA, WA and NT on the D697s, including 2,000km on dirt and corrugations, and a bit of rock and sand for good measure. They performed flawlessly on all surfaces. On the black top had pressures of 38F/42R. On dirt/corrugations 30/34 and less on rock/sand. There are no cuts or noteworthy blemishes and and am entirely happy with the decision to purchase them after months of deliberation. Purchased them from B Select, Norwood SA at $400 a piece. Tyres and outlet thoroughly recommended.

Nick:)

PS: D4 also performed flawlessly

TDV6 D4 MY12

DiscoWeb
8th July 2013, 02:48 PM
Well,

Over the weekend I was driving around Lidsdale/Mt Walker and managed to rip the side wall out of one of my Continental Cross Contact A/T.

As I was getting close to a new set of tyres this has given me a dilemma.

The spare is a cross contact in pretty good shape, I would say 80% tread, but I do not want to go out and buy a new tyre as I have my mind set on these new D697's !!

So my question is.

If I was to put 2 new Bridgestone's on the front but leave the continentals in the rear, as they probably have another 10,000 km left would I cause myself any drive train issues. ?

The Continentals are 255/60/18 whilst the Bridgestone are 285/60/18. A little wider but same ratios.

Anyone got any thoughts.

George

PS. I was a bit surprised that the spare was in such good condition as I have had the tyres rotated and balanced a few times and always ask for the spare to be rotated in, obviously has not happened :censored:. I need to check for next time. !!!

gghaggis
8th July 2013, 03:03 PM
The Continentals are 255/60/18 whilst the Bridgestone are 285/60/18. A little wider but same ratios.

Same ratio, but as the width is larger, so too is the sidwall (to keep the same ratio!), ergo the rolling diameter is greater (by around 33mm). So no go - you'd damage the drive train.

Cheers,

Gordon

DiscoWeb
8th July 2013, 03:25 PM
Same ratio, but as the width is larger, so too is the sidwall (to keep the same ratio!), ergo the rolling diameter is greater (by around 33mm). So no go - you'd damage the drive train.

Cheers,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

Had a sneaking suspicion that might be the case.

Cheers,

George

phl
26th December 2013, 10:35 PM
After losing two Zeons with sidewall damage, am considering the D697LT in 18". The load rating looks fine, but the speed rating is much lower (H for Zeon, S for D697); is that legal?

Tombie
27th December 2013, 12:23 AM
After losing two Zeons with sidewall damage, am considering the D697LT in 18". The load rating looks fine, but the speed rating is much lower (H for Zeon, S for D697); is that legal?

Yes, perfectly legal in Aus...