PDA

View Full Version : second fermenter

Aussie
17th October 2012, 02:19 PM
I have a bitter that's in my primary fermenter which is nearly ready for bottling. I have a second fermenter which a mate gave me and was thinking of using that to dissolve my sugar instead of putting it in the bottles, then transfering the brew from my primary fermenter into it then finally bottling. I read that when doing this I must make sure I don't oxygenate it which is fine, it should also reduce the residue in the bottom of the bottles, Just wondering is it worth doing and how much sugar do I need to dissolve? I have the standard 20ltr fermenter.

disco_disco
23rd October 2012, 09:24 AM
your probably already past this point. but yes do it.
position the siphon hose low in the second fermenter so it doesn't bubble and oxygenate the wart. Simple.Don't forget to dissolve some sugar in water to use as a priming agent. just make sure you let it sit for half a day before you bottle it to let any sediment fall to the bottom. i have done this on my last few brews. Had no sediment in the bottle and didn't have to prime the bottles either :)

i found this helped. but there is an abundance of knowledge on the net
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming Solutions (http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-4.html)

Aussie
23rd October 2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the reply how much sugar do you use to prime?

LandyAndy
23rd October 2012, 09:26 PM
Aussie
I always intended to go this way but never did.
I went kegs,as soon as you can afford to its the way to go;););););)
WISH I did many years before;);););););)
Andrew

Aussie
24th October 2012, 08:16 AM
I've been thinking of going to kegs for a while now, The only hesitation is the convenience of bottles in regard to taking away camping or going to a party/bbq etc. The Mrs said she'd divorce me if I rocked up to a party with a keg under my arm.

d@rk51d3
24th October 2012, 08:52 AM
Dad recently put a brew down.

When it's ready for bottling, don't.
He let it sit for another couple of weeks in the fermenter, then bottled it. Next to no sediment, and no ill effects on the beer that we can taste.

rainman
24th October 2012, 09:02 AM
The Mrs said she'd divorce me if I rocked up to a party with a keg under my arm.

Hmmm....... tough decision to have to make Aussie. :cool:

James.

LandyAndy
27th October 2012, 08:41 PM
I've been thinking of going to kegs for a while now, The only hesitation is the convenience of bottles in regard to taking away camping or going to a party/bbq etc. The Mrs said she'd divorce me if I rocked up to a party with a keg under my arm.

There are 5lt party kegs that you power with a Nang cartridge or soda stream gas bottle.

The quality of kegged beer is much better than bottle carbonated beer.
If i need to take any to a party I fill 2lt coke bottles with my beer gun.They call them a puloto gun,as my setup is in the shed its not clean enough to run a normal tap on the outside of the fridge.
Andrew

LandyAndy
27th October 2012, 08:44 PM
Dad recently put a brew down.

When it's ready for bottling, don't.
He let it sit for another couple of weeks in the fermenter, then bottled it. Next to no sediment, and no ill effects on the beer that we can taste.

In cooler weather this is a good practice,I do it myself.In summer its not a good idea,the yeast will start eating dead yeast cells and produce "off" smells and flavours in your brew.
Andrew