PDA

View Full Version : D4 Blowing Black Smoke

Noony
8th November 2012, 11:01 AM
Does anyone have any info on a D4 blowing black smoke?
The dealer has tightened turbo hoses and pipes apperently?? but have no answers.
I did read somewhere that a intercooler hose may be cracked on the seam??
Help!!

rufusking
8th November 2012, 11:15 AM
There are a variety of causes so more info needed. Is it all the time? When powering above 2500 rpm, i.e. when second turbo kicks in? Etc.

Celtoid
8th November 2012, 12:50 PM
X2 Year, Model?

CaverD3
9th November 2012, 07:40 AM
Collapsing air intake pipe under the wing?

d3syd
9th November 2012, 08:52 AM
Yes mine does it too. Happens only when I give it a bootful, I'd say when the 2nd turbo kicks in. Is this normal?

My car is a 2011 3.0 SE.

roamer
9th November 2012, 09:03 AM

UMM, mine had that Caver,
no black smoke, but was throwing up reduced performance codes,
(lack of air to turbo ) only happened when you got right up it,

Black smoke probably fuel,
maybe injector spray pattern, where have you been getting your fuel

Cheers Ken

Graeme
9th November 2012, 09:42 AM
Yes mine does it too. Happens only when I give it a bootful, I'd say when the 2nd turbo kicks in. Is this normal?

My car is a 2011 3.0 SE.
I'm normally quite gentle with throttle application but recently stuck the boot in causing it to drop a gear which made it rev unnecessarily so I upshifted again but the black smokescreen was quite embarrassing. Shortly after I used manual mode to keep the revs down but it still produced way too much black smoke for an advanced electronically-controlled engine, so no wonder it chews fuel when asked to work. The Jag version of the engine that produces the same torque produces considerably more power and the Jag version that produces the same max power produces considerably less torque, which makes me think that LR's tuning to get max torque with the lower max power is a bit off the mark.

Noony
9th November 2012, 10:03 AM
Its a 2011/2012 update, 2.7. when crusiing on the highway it has a slight haze of smoke. If you feather the accelerator just slightly it starts to get thicker, then if you either shift into sport accelerate or drop back it pours out.
Its like dropping a cup of flour on the ground

Redback
9th November 2012, 10:08 AM
Faulty MAF or MAP sensor maybe

Noony
9th November 2012, 10:08 AM
Its a 2011/2012 update, 2.7. when crusiing on the highway it has a slight haze of smoke. If you feather the accelerator just slightly it starts to get thicker, then if you either shift into sport accelerate or drop back it pours out.

d3syd
9th November 2012, 10:32 AM
....... the black smokescreen was quite embarrassing.

Same here, I always think "oops" when I see the trailing cars emerging out of the black cloud I leave behind:blush:.

I can just imagine what they are thinking.... "typical Land Rover!" :rolleyes:

Celtoid
9th November 2012, 10:49 AM

Well that rules out the second turbo then.

Cheers,

Kev.

CaverD3
9th November 2012, 04:58 PM
Definitly not blue smoke?

jonesy63
9th November 2012, 06:15 PM
Could be a split intercooler hose too.

scarry
9th November 2012, 08:58 PM
Should be under warranty,trip to a dealer that knows what they are on about is the go......

Never noticed mine blowing smoke,is 2012 2.7.

DC1
10th November 2012, 03:02 PM
Its a 2011/2012 update, 2.7.

Not a black one by any chance? I see you are GC based, but I was following a black 2.7 just the other day, on the Capt Cook Bridge in Brisbane. It was blowing smoke just on gentle cruise.

I have a 2.7 and I see black smoke out the back but only when I am flat to the floor. Figured it was just a diesel thing because I see plenty of other moderns diesels do the same thing.

Cheers

Dan

CaverD3
10th November 2012, 03:27 PM
The LC200 is much worse if booted. :angel:

scarry
10th November 2012, 03:42 PM
The LC200 is much worse if booted. :angel:

So are nissan Navara,particularly if it is an auto.

Noony
10th November 2012, 06:51 PM
not 100% sure,one mate said it had blue tinge, Maybe both blue and black. Did remove intercooler hose to check for cracks and found dirty black oil in the lower part of the hose. all clean up top though,
(DC1) my car is dark blue not black. Looks like lots of smokers out there ay

Yachtie
10th November 2012, 08:37 PM
I just picked up my new 3 litre today from Coffs Harbour and after about thirty minutes of driving through the roadworks heading north, I pulled over to wait for the wife to catch up. When I accelerated, I left her in a very large cloud of white smoke. It hasn't happened since on the way back to Brissie.

Noony
11th November 2012, 01:27 PM
After a process of elimination. 1. remove air cleaner, (no better) 2. remove air box top cover. NO SMOKE Yeh!!.
Tried coat hanger through air hose in right wing TO CHECK FOR COLAPSED PIPE.. seems clear..
So i have removed the rubber rightangled connector pipe that connects the air box to the side breather pipe in right wing. will keep you posted.. girl friend has better things to do than constantly follow me around the street spotting for smoke plumes..

CaverD3
11th November 2012, 02:06 PM
Point dealer in the right direction and get them to replace it under warranty with the fabric one for the RAI.

Noony
11th November 2012, 07:57 PM
It looks like some sort of material now. What is RAI?

rufusking
11th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Raised Air Intake, aka snorkel.