PDA

View Full Version : Where to install 12v power socket in D4?

DiscoDavey
11th November 2012, 07:09 PM
Hi members,
I am thinking of purchasing a Traxide Dual Battery Kit with the dual 12v Power Sockets for the rear of the vehicle.
I am a bit shy to drill holes in the shiny new ebony interior (but will if I have to) so I am keen to know where peeps are placing these, and if there is alternatives.
If anyone has some photos that would be great to see too.

Power will be used to run a small fridge and a camping light.

Thanks

rufusking
11th November 2012, 08:00 PM
I placed two outlets on the rear, one each side. I want for the Merit / Hella / Powerlet style so the plug doesn't lose contact on rougher roads.
If you look at the existing cig. style one provided by LR on the rear left of the cargo area, I placed the Merit under the overhang section towards the rear of the vehicle and down a bit. If you poke you're fingers up through the tow bar storage compartment you can feel the flat section that also has a stiffening rib on it. I mounted between the rib and the rear of the vehicle. The upside of this location is that the plug in the new socket doesn't protrude into the cargo area.
You can carefully pull the tailgate seal from the vehicle where the rear pillar trim and lower trim join and once again carefully move the lower trim out popping out a plastic clip. Under the seal is a sticky white compound so watch for this. I found I could get a couple of fingers through there and a couple through the towbar compartment to install the socket. Same deal on the right side. Cable run is as per Traxides instructions.
Good luck!

Disco4SE
11th November 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi rufusking,
Here is a pic of mine. I put one each side of the original outlet in the rear.
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/11/793.jpg

DoctorJ
11th November 2012, 09:01 PM
Hi rufusking,
Here is a pic of mine. I put one each side of the original outlet in the rear.
http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/disco4se-albums-my+disco+4-picture3918-20121111-204004-1.jpg

I placed mine in exactly the same spots

Cheers
Julian

jonesy63
11th November 2012, 09:26 PM
If you don't want to drill holes in the plastic panels, you could drill holes in the rear audio panel - assuming you don't have the rear audio option. They're only about $10 to replace - if you want to later return it to standard.

I put two sockets in there in my D3 - one Merritt for the fridge and one standard one for chargers, etc. Last year, I moved it over to my D4 when I traded my D3 in.

Let me know if you want a photo.
Cheers,
Rob

DiscoDavey
11th November 2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks for that. That pic looks really professional. I don't reckon that detracts from the car at all. A picture tells a thousand words!!
Thanks Rob - that sounds like a good option too.

Industrious bunch aren't we :)

Andrew

rufusking
12th November 2012, 06:47 AM
Just had a chance to take a snap of the plugs.

DiscoDavey
12th November 2012, 07:38 PM
Thank you for the photos. Very neat and tidy job you have done. You guys have given me the confidence to give it a go.

Cheers

D4PeterH
13th November 2012, 06:23 PM
Hi DiscoDavey

Here is another option.

Handy for connecting your light with ease.

Cheers Peter

jonesy63
16th November 2012, 08:09 AM
Here's a photo of where I put mine, as explained in post # 5.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/images/imported/2012/11/595.jpg

Banksy
5th March 2019, 07:43 PM
Hi,
I have a 2016 5 seater TDV6, so I don't have any aux power socket fitted in the rear cargo area.
I was wondering if somebody could post a photograph of the connector that I need to wire a socket to?
Thanks!

rocket rod
5th March 2019, 09:20 PM
Where ever you put it, and there are some good suggestions here, I would place it where the connector points up (most likely on the shelves) so that luggage does not get caught on it.

loanrangie
5th March 2019, 10:30 PM
Hi,
I have a 2016 5 seater TDV6, so I don't have any aux power socket fitted in the rear cargo area.
I was wondering if somebody could post a photograph of the connector that I need to wire a socket to?
Thanks!You'll need to run cable to the rear, don't you have at least 1 socket on the lh side ?