PDA

View Full Version : Winch motor windings - series or parallel?

Lotz-A-Landies
12th November 2012, 11:46 AM
Over the weekend I was reviewing the specs of a particular brand 12,000lbs winch. In the description it stated the wiring was series parallel motor.

Is that correct? I always understood the wiring was EITHER a parallel wound (constant speed) motor OR a series wound (variable speed load dependant) motor.

Can someone enlighten me about my lack of understanding?

:TakeABow:
Diana

Lotz-A-Landies
12th November 2012, 05:47 PM
Thought there would be at least someone who could explain the windings on a DC motor to me?

wrinklearthur
12th November 2012, 05:55 PM
Thought there would be at least someone who could explain the windings on a DC motor to me?
X2

The only DC electric motor wiring I have been involved with, was the series winding of slot car motors to go faster.

Old Farang
13th November 2012, 02:15 PM
Without a bit more info a bit difficult to comment on the specific winch.

However: a DC motor that has connections that could be termed "parallel" is referred to as a "shunt" connected motor. With this type of connection the field windings consist of many turns of a relatively small gauge wire, as compared to the armature. They are usually used where speed control is required, this being achieved by varying the excitation of the field, as you may have seen with a simple rheostat control. There are several different types of "shunt" connections, depending on what the application requires.

In a "series" motor both the armature and field windings consist of the same size conductors, and therefore carry the same current. They are used where full torque is required at low rpm. They have to be mechanically connected to a load at all times, or they WILL run up to destruction speed. Speed control is usually done by varying the supply voltage to the motor. This type of motor is usually what you will find in a winch, or your starter motor. (more modern starter motors use permanent magnets for the field section)

As mentioned, need a bit more info concerning the specific winch to be able to comment on just what they are saying, or trying to achieve.

Lotz-A-Landies
13th November 2012, 02:40 PM
Makes it a bit clearer, however the literature for this Chinese brand winch with planetary gearbox (Warn copy) was specifying a series-parallel motor, does something like this exist (in DC) or is it likely a typo.

I do understand a little bit about the star-delta start on a 3 phase motor.

isuzurover
13th November 2012, 02:55 PM
Makes it a bit clearer, however the literature for this Chinese brand winch with planetary gearbox (Warn copy) was specifying a series-parallel motor, does something like this exist (in DC) or is it likely a typo.

Not just the warn copies:

WARN 9.5XP SPECS/PART NUMBERS

Part Number: 68500 (12V)

Rated Line Pull: 9,500 lbs. (4310 kgs) single-line

Intended Use/Application: Vehicle Recovery / For Trucks and SUVs

Duty Cycle Rating:

Motor: 12V 6 hp, High Output Parallel Series Wound

Remote Control: Remote switch, 12" (3.7m) lead

Geartrain: 3-Stage Planetary

Gear Ratio: 156:1

Lubrication: Aeroshell #17

Clutch (freespooling): Sliding Ring Gear

Brake: Automatic Direct Drive Cone

Wire Rope: 100', 5/16" diameter (30m, 8mm diam.)

Fairlead: Roller

Recommended Battery: 650 CCA minimum for winching

Battery Leads: 2 gauge, 72" (1.83m)

Finish: Chromate with high-gloss dark gray powder coat

Drum Diameter/Length: 2.5"/9.0" (6.4cm/23cm)

Weight: 87 lbs. (39.5 kgs.)

Old Farang
13th November 2012, 03:07 PM

Yes, it is done and is called a "compound" motor, where it has both a shunt field for speed control, and a series field that increases the field strength as the armature current increases. Bit of an overkill for a vehicle winch, but providing it does not have any extra switch gear, should not be a problem.

Your star / delta switch gear is used to reduce the starting current of a 3 phase motor, and does not affect the hp/torque or speed, once the motor is running in delta.

Lotz-A-Landies
13th November 2012, 03:19 PM
Your star / delta switch gear is used to reduce the starting current of a 3 phase motor, and does not affect the hp/torque or speed, once the motor is running in delta.Thanks for that.

Our star-delta did indeed reduce current. When we originally installed the refrigeration for our freezer warehouse the compressors were on loaded delta and when one of the compressors cycled on, the lights in the neighbourhood (a farming district) would dim significantly. The neighbours were always complaining about the poor power supplies in the area not realising the reasons. Then we modified each of the 4 units to unloaded star start, switching over to delta and closing the solenoids on the compressor bypass.

Power consumption went down significantly.