PDA

View Full Version : DEVILS DUST

Roverlord off road spares
13th November 2012, 09:31 AM
I watched the 2 part series of Devil's Dust on the ABC re James Hardy and the Asbestos workers. It really was an eye opener on how profits were put ahead of workers safety, the cover ups, excuses. Sad case of affairs.

MacMan
13th November 2012, 10:23 PM
We watched it too, and while I kept reminding myself it's a dramatisation, I couldn't get past the fact that the underlying story was factual and very grubby indeed. The projection for 60,000 asbestos related deaths in Australia by 2030 shocked me.

Franrick
13th November 2012, 10:43 PM
Hi there. I am of an age where every second house in the street I lived in was made of fibro. The house I live in NOW has fibro as part of the dwelling, as does many thousands of other Aussie houses.
When we were kids we used to get sheets of fibro from building estates and light a fire and throw them in, the following explosion was quite something to see. No one told us that this same fibro could kill us somewhere down the track. No one explained that there were dangers connected with this new wonder called asbestos. Yet it seems that the people at the top of the pyramid known as James Hardie knew all along the horrible dangers and health hazards connected with this product.
It is a terrible indictment on the successive governments of this country that the company responsible for this carnage of Australian lives has yet to be brought to justice.
As a VERY proud Aussie it makes me sick to know that the governments that through the years have reigned over our nation have twiddled there thumbs while James Hardie have walked away from their responsibilities.
Is it any wonder we don't have faith in our politicians and past and standing members.

Roverlord off road spares
14th November 2012, 09:15 PM
a Family friend used to work for the Board of works, he had a work cover claim for a bad knee, then later he developed cancer in his urinary track, now the poor bloke been diagnosed with asbestosis, working with pipe lagging years ago.
Some times life deals out blow after blow.