PDA

View Full Version : Mud terrain Tyres for road use

gazm3
14th November 2012, 06:53 AM
Hey guys it's about time to replace the Tyres on the d3. I don't have space to store a 2nd set of wheels so I want to know how compromised mud terrain Tyres are for the bitumen. I have many dirt roads in my area and are planning some trips next year. I found last year I was forever fixing punctures in my last car when going bush with road based tyres p

I've had bfg mud terrains on a defender in the past but I guess the defender didn't have the road going ability and the speed.

DoctorJ
14th November 2012, 07:10 AM
Why are you wanting muddies specifically as IMHO unless you spend a lot of time in the mud AT's do a fantastic job across a lot of terrains, in fact I've blown plenty of people away with what I ve been able to do in my AT's, just try and get an aggressive set if possible however the range available for tyres for the D3 is very limited

Cheers
Julian

AnD3rew
14th November 2012, 08:25 AM
If you have 18"s then I think you won't be able to do MT without modification. Mud Terrain are noisy and ordinary on bitumen in the dry and potentially suicidal on bitumen in the wet.

Unless you are able to have two sets, I would agree with the Dr and go for a good set of AT's. They won't do as well in the actual Mud but for everything else they do a good job.

If you have 17"s then look for something in the light truck category which will help with the puncture issues.

Desert Traveller
14th November 2012, 08:50 AM
I am running MTR's (19") and I would not recommend them for normal road use. Very noisy and they compromise handling and braking. My D3 is only used for playing and is not a daily or eveny a weekly drive.

Geedublya
14th November 2012, 12:31 PM
BFG MT KM2 17", traction on bitumen in the dry is good if not better than my Cooper ATR. I did some brake tests in the wet and was impressed compared to the Coopers as well.

There is a hum on bitumen which can be tolerated and they feel lumpy at low speed.

SuperMono
14th November 2012, 01:10 PM
Also BFG MT KM2 17" on my D3 and you can live with them, but they do drive the stability control nuts at times in the bends and in the wet.

Work better in the wet than I expected but if traveling any significant distance I swap wheels over to a set of road tyres.

It is a compromise, choose where you want to sit on the trade offs and benefits.

Steve223
14th November 2012, 05:48 PM
I'm so far very happy with my Coopers AT3 LT, over 5000k's outback driving no punctures, fairly quite in my ears and had no issues on bitumen dry or wet

Disco4SE
14th November 2012, 05:59 PM
Hi gazm3,
The Cooper LTZs are one of the most aggressive AT tyre and very strong.
Very happy with mine in all conditions.
They do hum a bit, but if you check out the tread you will see why.

Cheers, Craig

gazm3
14th November 2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the advise guys really helpful. Although mud terrain Tyres look sexy and are great in the mud I guess massively compromised road grip is too much of a trade off

I'll look at the cooper atz or most people here seem to love the general grabber at2. I'm keen to go for 265/70/18 for some more ground clearance and for looks (yes I'm happy to admit it) and use some rods and mod the rear wheel linings.

Do most people buy locally or overseas.

Celtoid
14th November 2012, 11:54 PM
Scorpion ATRs...better on the road than the OEM tyres and would surprise off road...in fact have been awarded for the fact that they don't look that aggressive, but they do a much better job than tyres that are.

In the mud (as in deep goo) they are crap....like any tyre other than a 'Muddie'!!!