PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts come from where ......

lt8x7
23rd November 2012, 06:30 AM
I bought my D3 2008 model 2nd hand in June.

It had a dodgy ignition barrel which gets jammed half the time making it either difficult to start or difficult to turn off and remove the key depending on which way you are turning it.

After much discussions with the dealer (an official LR dealer), they have agreed to replace the ignition barrel.

The new part was ordered at the beginning of October with an estimated 3 weeks delivery.

It still has not arrived and the dealer says they have no idea when it will.

I thought I would escalate this so I rang Land Rover Australia. I got to speak to their "customer service" centre. They promptly informed me that spare parts spy is none of their business and they can do nothing about it.. When pressed further, the person on the other end of the phone said that LRA do not carry spare parts and the dealers order all part directly from LR UK.

This sounds Looney. Is it true????????

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

CaverD3
23rd November 2012, 08:29 AM
Bull****. :angel:

LR have stocks of certain parts.
But in your case it would probably have to come from UK. There has been an issue getting keys from UK.
I would ring LR customer care and see if you can speak to someone with a brain this time. Suggest it is a safety issue as you could get stranded in the outback on the trip you are going on.:)
Insist someone follows up.
PS get a reference no from the dealer first.

clubagreenie
23rd November 2012, 11:28 AM
Dealers do not order individually from the UK. I know there's a warehouse somewhere as I also know there was a clearance offer to dealers and authorised parts resellers of quite a few TDV6's when they went D4 for very cheap prices.

Calis
23rd November 2012, 11:34 AM
thats probably right clubagreenie but that warehouse must obviously order from the UK when its out of stock. my mates wife total one of there standard D3 wheels and apparently there was not one in the whole country. Took 4 weeks to come from the UK. Eeek!

clubagreenie
23rd November 2012, 01:09 PM
That's the issue. You can order yourself direct from the UK and it comes faster. Though they do wait for either a full container/air crate to ship or ship to a schedule. Also there's the LR clearance website that has a heap of stuff they sell of to the public as well. That's not a dealer thing, if I was a dealer and the vehicle importer told me I had to shop for my parts on my own I know who's cars I would put at the back of the lot.

bbyer
23rd November 2012, 01:22 PM
Here in Canada, all factory LR parts come thru the Caterpillar Tractor parts organization. Except for the UK, I believe it is that way world wide.

The Cat parts organization is probably stronger than any in the world; certainly more diverse than Ford or GM. Mercedes is probably the only other group that might rival Caterpillar for world coverage.

Any yes, the local LR marketing organization would have nothing to do with parts distribution other than making certain only the dealers had access or did not short circuit the process.

rick130
23rd November 2012, 02:26 PM
FWIW a number of dealers also source a lot of genuine LR bits (particularly service items) through the major independent importers, Karcraft and BMI, but if it's a warranty part it'd have to come through JLRA.

CaverD3
23rd November 2012, 02:34 PM
Logistics for at least large parts come through Cat here as well.
At least LR airfreight Tojo has to come via sea so you can wait longer.
Any update from LRA?

chuck
23rd November 2012, 08:07 PM
Landrover Australia have a parts warehouse in Jets Court Tullamarine.

I know because we built it.

Cheers

jboot51
23rd November 2012, 08:46 PM

Cheers

Is there a secret tunnel so we can get in afterhours ??

sniegy
23rd November 2012, 09:05 PM

Cheers

Yes they do.....Caterpillar :-)
Some great stuff in there......

Dealers (Australia. wide) order parts from the Melbourne warehouse.
If the part is in stock it is shipped to the dealer (major city dealers) the next day depending on what time it was ordered, there is a time cut off.
If the part is not in stock, then it is normally approx. 2 weeks ex UK.
Parts like Keys, Ignition barrels, Door cards, CJB's & electronic parts that are VIN written normally take a little longer.

Why you ask...

? I really wish I had the answer.

If it is what is called a "Critical Part" or "Vehicle off Road" then the part can be expedited quicker as long as the rules that LR set are followed.
If the vehicle can be driven safely while part is ordered, then it will be approx. 2weeks.

HTH
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

chuck
24th November 2012, 08:00 AM
No Tunnel.
Caterpillar distribute for a lot of brands now.
Harley Davidson distribution is just up the road from Landrover.

sniegy
24th November 2012, 09:24 AM
No Tunnel.
Caterpillar distribute for a lot of brands now.
Harley Davidson distribution is just up the road from Landrover.

Hmmm, didn't know that. Now I know where there spares are kept!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Pedro_The_Swift
24th November 2012, 09:35 AM
excuse the tangent:angel:

caterpillar are bringing all their assembly/manufacturing back to Peoria,,

and,

we have had several large OLD cats sitting on vacant blocks around Toowoomba for several years,,

but it appears you can teach an old cat new tricks--
all gone now!