PDA

View Full Version : HID conversion kit

Steve223
23rd November 2012, 07:44 AM
Hi,

Just wondering has someone installed this HDI conversion kit and has any feedback?

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300606867355&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

Thanks

Steve

CaverD3
23rd November 2012, 08:19 AM
I would be careful about the quality and suitability for the D3. Look at his feedback.
Compare to HID4U they have actually been tested on the vehicle and are good quality although you may find you pay more.

Calis
23rd November 2012, 09:25 AM
Steve, if it helps I'll be purchasing HID4U's kit when I come to do mine for the exact reason CaverD3 mentioned about the testing. Might be a bit pricier when all's said and done but as these vehicles are fairly electronically sensitive a good tested/specific solution is the way to go in my opinion. Some good discussion's over at disco4.co.uk on this and HID4U's solutions.

101RRS
23rd November 2012, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Just wondering has someone installed this HDI conversion kit and has any feedback?

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300606867355&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

Thanks

Steve

The D3 runs a H7 lighting system so the one in the link (a H4 system) will not fit.

Garry

Steve223
23rd November 2012, 02:01 PM
thanks a lot Garry they advertised them for D3 will have a closer look later, are there conversions for d3?

----

Disco 3, LLAMS, OL BullBar, Chipped, Transmission Oil Cooler - Great Aussie Camper

Have something to sell? Check out our custom Shopping Cart Solutions http://www.4sprung.com.au

101RRS
23rd November 2012, 03:30 PM
Not Hi/Lo conversions - H7 kits are only single beam. Any H7 kit will fit but you only get one beam. There is not a lot of difference between 35w and 50w kits - (the bulbs are the same but have different ballasts). I would go 4300K as these are close to the colour of standard halogens and do not wash out the colour like 5000 and 6000K globes do.

Garry

Steve223
24th November 2012, 11:35 AM
great thanks a lot for the info, the wealth of information, knowledge and willingness to help in the forum is just awesome

----

Disco 3, LLAMS, OL BullBar, Chipped, Transmission Oil Cooler - Great Aussie Camper

Have something to sell? Check out our custom Shopping Cart Solutions http://www.4sprung.com.au

Steve223
25th November 2012, 04:37 PM
Steve, if it helps I'll be purchasing HID4U's kit when I come to do mine for the exact reason CaverD3 mentioned about the testing. Might be a bit pricier when all's said and done but as these vehicles are fairly electronically sensitive a good tested/specific solution is the way to go in my opinion. Some good discussion's over at disco4.co.uk on this and HID4U's solutions.

sounds good do you have an exact link for which system is the right one for a D3 from HID4U he has 372 different kit's there.

101RRS
25th November 2012, 04:42 PM
I have a cheap $65 set and a $135 Canbus compatible set in my RRS - both were bought from ebay and came from Hong Kong, they work fine and have caused no issues in my car.

Garry

Calis
30th November 2012, 07:37 PM
sounds good do you have an exact link for which system is the right one for a D3 from HID4U he has 372 different kit's there.

Yep! go here: Xenon HID Headlight Upgrade Kits from HIDS 4U - H7, H4, H1 (http://www.hids4u.co.uk/)

Then select make, model etc.

It will list them out.

You can pop over to DISCO3.CO.UK - Index (http://www.disco3.co.uk) and contact Ian from HIDS4U and ask him anything you need for it.

the 35W has a smaller ballast which fits in behind the light I believe best ask Ian.

Steve223
1st December 2012, 05:47 AM
Calis, thanks a lot I PM'd them in disco3uk but never got a reply so thanks for your link

LRDisco4
1st December 2012, 09:05 AM
Have had the new D4 for about two weeks, it's a fantastic car. It's a pity that I hadn't opted for original HID's. The standard halogen's are ok, but not amazing. Considering an HID upgrade. From what I've been reading, in order to be legal, HID's need to meet the following requirements:

1. they need to be self leveling
2. they need to have a washer system in place

So, it's clear that point two is met by the D4 as it has washers. Just a couple of quick queries though - sorry if this has been answered to death.

Firstly, does the fact that the D4 has leveling suspension negate the need for the lights themselves to be self leveling? I've read this in a few places, but has anyone actually had this confirmed? When HID's are original fitment, do they have self leveling included or do they rely on the suspension doing the work for them?

Secondly, is the standard projector light housing suitable for HID's?

Cheers,

Graeme
1st December 2012, 09:11 AM
D3/D4 bi-xenons rely on the self-levelling suspension for levelling. The optional adaptive lighting has a levelling mechanism that is activated under hard acceleration and hard braking only, at all other times relying on the suspension for levelling.

LRDisco4
1st December 2012, 09:19 AM
D3/D4 bi-xenons rely on the self-levelling suspension for levelling. The optional adaptive lighting has a levelling mechanism that is activated under hard acceleration and hard braking only, at all other times relying on the suspension for levelling.

Thanks for the speedy reply Graeme. Given what you've said, do you think that means that a retrofitted HID kit in a D4 is ADR compliant?

Graeme
1st December 2012, 10:16 AM
I have no idea if the light pattern would be ADR compliant but if it produced a similar low beam cut-off then that would be a good start.

101RRS
1st December 2012, 10:48 AM
The problem of putting HIDs in is Hi Beam.

In the Bi Xenons Hi/Lo beam is done via a single H7 HID globe fitted to the outer light (the one with the projector). Hi/Lo beam is achieved via a shutter in the headlight housing that changes the light pattern from hi to lo and vice versa.

The inner light that most think is the hi beam has a Halogen H7 lamp in it that is also a hi beam but its primary purpose is to act as a filler light to fill in dark spots in the Bi Zenon light pattern.

On Halogen fitted cars there is a single H7 Halogen globe in the projectors that provide low beam only (no shutter to change the shape of the beam from Hi to lo and vice versa like the Bi Zenons). In the Halogens Hi beam is solely provided by the inner hi beam light that is also fitted with a H7 Halogen - this light is exactly the same in both Halogen and Bi Zenon cars.

When you retrofit HIDS to the halogen projector (low beam) the light pattern is shaped via the projector so with good HID globes the light pattern should be the same - certainly is with my car - the cutoffs are very pronounced.

The problem is with Hi Beam - noting on Bi Zenon cars hi beam is provided through the projector. You can either leave the H7 halogen and have halogen Hi beam or put in a HID globe in there. Light coverage is OK with a HID but HIDS can take up to 10 secs to get to full brilliance from cold so if you need Hi beam from cold you are not going to get it. I am considering taking my HIDs out of hi beam and putting higher performing Halogens back.

On the ADR front - at the moment it is arguable that retrofitted HIDs are legal (the argument mainly shows that they are probably not legal). Yes things like washers etc can/are fitted but part of the ruling is that the lights must be ADR compliant for HID use - clearly the Bi-Xenons are and I believe the lights are the same except for the Bi Xenon shutter but the Halogen lights do not have this shutter so are technically a different housing so therefore possibly illegal for HIDs under the ADRs.

If you do go HIDs I recommend no whiter than 4300K which is just a little whiter than the original Halogens. I have had 5000K in and they are just too white and some clowns put in well over 6000K which is what causes all the issues.

Garry

Graeme
1st December 2012, 11:44 AM
The inner light that most think is the hi beam.. but its primary purpose is to act as a filler light to fill in dark spots in the Bi Zenon light pattern.
Not for the D4 bi-xenons where they're only good for spotting possums.

Steve223
1st December 2012, 11:55 AM
thanks for the detailed post Garry hm nots sure maybe I stick with my oem for time being

----

rufusking
1st December 2012, 04:47 PM
I have the bi-xenon for hi/ low and played around with different colors for the infill hi's. the original halogens were noticeably yellow compared to the bi-xenon. Initially I tried 5,000k but a little too blue plus the blue coating on the bulb was very obvious in the reflector when looking at the headlight assembly with the lights off. I settled for 4300k as it matches the bi-x nicely and isn't to blue in the assembly but still noticeable.

LRDisco4
1st December 2012, 05:42 PM
Hmm... Thanks for the replies everyone. It makes me think, if a car was in an accident, the headlight assembly of the HID's must be available. I wonder what the cost would be to replace the assembly part that has the shutter so that the bi-xenons are used as per the original fitment. I might sound out a dealer when I get some time.

coolum
30th December 2014, 10:20 AM
I have a D3 with Bi Xenon - the High beam (additional) is / has the halogen 'glow' and I would like to update to Xenon.

Is this known as a cornering lamp - If so, my manual says its an H8 --- or is the corning lamp something else in the cluster and not the Halogen part of the High Beam.

The inner light that most think is the hi beam has a Halogen H7 lamp in it that is also a hi beam but its primary purpose is to act as a filler light to fill in dark spots in the Bi Zenon light pattern.

On Halogen fitted cars there is a single H7 Halogen globe in the projectors that provide low beam only (no shutter to change the shape of the beam from Hi to lo and vice versa like the Bi Zenons). In the Halogens Hi beam is solely provided by the inner hi beam light that is also fitted with a H7 Halogen - this light is exactly the same in both Halogen and Bi Zenon cars.

ALSO
is there any danger of causing a 'meltdown' due to the heat build up, if a small/slim ballast for a Xenon (H7) light is put inside (if it fits) the plastic housing.

Thanks all

coolum
30th December 2014, 08:36 PM
Would a highbeam infill (H7) need to be canbus compatable for a D3 HSE V8 with Bi Xenon,
please?
Steve

101RRS
30th December 2014, 08:48 PM
ALSO
is there any danger of causing a 'meltdown' due to the heat build up, if a small/slim ballast for a Xenon (H7) light is put inside (if it fits) the plastic housing.

Would a highbeam infill (H7) need to be canbus compatable for a D3 HSE V8 with Bi Xenon,
please?
Steve

Any H7 Halogen globe will fit with no problems with the CANBUS. Likewise, based on my experience, you can put HIDs in this position with no impact on the CANBUS system. At one stage I had aftermarket HIDs as replacement for the H7 Halogens in both beams with no issues - these were not specfic canbus systems. Both ballasts can fit in the headlight housing with no issues.

Because HIDs take a little while to light up I removed them from the Hi beams and went back to 4300K H7 Halogens. My low beams are still HIDs and I have had no problems with them.

Garry

giskard
31st December 2014, 01:44 PM
Hope this isn't too off topic, but does anyone have any recommendations of better quality halogen globes that could be dropped in to replace the OEM's? I have an MY13 TDV6 and the performance of the headlights is about the only gripe I have with the car. Thanks.