PDA

View Full Version : Advice on good Nautical Movies

Sleepy
15th December 2012, 06:57 PM
My Father in Law is staying with us over Christmas.

He is in his early 80's and, being an old whaler from Durbin, loves everything nautical.

I thought I would arrange a few movies to watch but I've never really been that keen on nautical movies myself.

I have Master and Commander - which I quite enjoyed.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mutiny on the Bounty?

(And don't say Pirates of Penzance!:no2:)

UncleHo
15th December 2012, 07:01 PM
See if you can sit him down on Boxing Day to watch the start of the "Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race" starts tv coverage about 11am NSW time

Chops
15th December 2012, 07:21 PM
Ahhh, the Sydney to Hobart, what a spectical.
There's always beautiful looking yachts there. Myself, I love the older sleeker looking ones.

Hastykiwi
15th December 2012, 07:25 PM
U142, Titanic, The Poseidon......ahhhh maybe not.

Sleepy
15th December 2012, 07:29 PM
U142, Titanic, The Poseidon......ahhhh maybe not.

Thanks, yeah I think he would be bit bored with Titanic - more romance than adventure. But I'll have a look at that U142.

UncleHo
15th December 2012, 07:35 PM
If he likes Naval movies, there is "The Battle Of The River Plate", "Above Us The Waves","Run Silent Run Deep" all movies from 50's and 60's but quite good.

cheers

Hastykiwi
15th December 2012, 07:35 PM
Whooosh.

Mick_Marsh
15th December 2012, 07:40 PM
My favourites,
The hunt for Red October
Crimson Tide
Battle of the River Plate
Battle of Midway
Above us the waves
Sink the Bismark

LandyAndy
15th December 2012, 08:02 PM
See if you can sit him down on Boxing Day to watch the start of the "Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race" starts tv coverage about 11am NSW time

Not HUGE into fart powered boats,have watched many starts,and lived in Freo at the time of the Americas Cup.
Andrew

LandyAndy
15th December 2012, 08:07 PM
My Father in Law is staying with us over Christmas.

He is in his early 80's and, being an old whaler from Durbin, loves everything nautical.

I thought I would arrange a few movies to watch but I've never really been that keen on nautical movies myself.

I have Master and Commander - which I quite enjoyed.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mutiny on the Bounty?

(And don't say Pirates of Penzance!:no2:)

Take him on a ferry trip,lots of brownie points there;);););)
Andrew

kenleyfred
15th December 2012, 08:08 PM
Is that Durbin as in Durban ? A long time since whaling was done, if he's South African how about something like "The God's must be crazy"

Eevo
15th December 2012, 08:15 PM
- more romance than adventure.

are you kidding me?

titanic is the best action movie ever.
i dont recall any "romance" being in there

ive just gone through my movie collection

Das Boot - my favourite sea movie.

virus - set aboard a boat
Ice Station Zebra - i think was on a sub. very old fildm, 60's?
K-19 The Widowmaker - antoher sub movie
Master And Commander - epic!
On The Beach - parts of this are set on a sub. be warned, scary film
Pirates Of The Caribbean - argh!
The Hunt for Red October - classic
The Little Mermaid - sort of
U-571 - not bad sub movie

tv series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornblower_(TV_series)
8 episodes 2 hours each.
very good naval

dmdigital
15th December 2012, 08:15 PM
Yellowbeard?

bob10
15th December 2012, 08:16 PM
Try,
Above us the waves
Cockleshell heroes
The cruel sea
In which we serve

But for possibly the best , DAS BOOT, The Boat, about a German U-Boat. [ The Brits win in the end, should make him happy] Bob [ BTW Master & Commander is one of my favourite movies, they did their best to be historicaly correct. ] Bob

Eevo
15th December 2012, 08:19 PM
U142
you sure you got the name right?
i cant find a film with this name

DT-P38
15th December 2012, 08:26 PM
Yellowbeard?

Classic! Maybe not for 80 YO though

Ausfree
15th December 2012, 08:40 PM
Every body has already named my favourite sea movies (damn you Mick:p).

"Das Boot" is also one of my favourites.

That other U-boat movie is U-571.Somebody said U-142???

Has "Crimson Tide" been mentioned??:D Just checked, Mick mentioned it,bugga!!!

bob10
15th December 2012, 09:02 PM
Your father in law would be a Spencer Tracy fan, possibly one of the best actors ever. Try

North West Passage
Old Man Of the SEA
Captains Courageous

and then
Amistad, the story of a slave ship taken over by the slaves, & the subsequent trial in the US., based on fact, this trial redefined race relations in the USA, at that time. Stars Morgan Freeman, one of my favourite actors, & Anthony Hopkins, directed by Spielberg.

And don't forget the Perfect Storm. As an old whaler, he would probably appreciate this movie most of all, Bob

Homestar
15th December 2012, 10:49 PM
An oldie but a goodie is 'The Caine Mutiny' - great book, good film.

Landy Smurf
15th December 2012, 11:12 PM
Old Ironsides (1926)

“Old Ironsides” was the nickname of the USS Constitution, the oldest commissioned warship to sail the seas. It featured in the silent film directed by James Cruze and starred Charles Farrell as “The Commodore.” The New York City Museum of Modern Art displayed a 35mm print version of the film in 2008.

The Sea Hawk (1940)

This swashbuckling tale starred Errol Flynn as “Captain Geoffery Thorpe,” an English “seadog” helming the Albatross. The privateer Thorpe is said to have been based on Sir Francis Drake, and the Albatross was a tribute to his galleon, The Golden Hind.

Das Boot (1981)

The German war epic Das Boot made real the claustrophobic experience felt by Axis submariners on a “U-96” U-boat (modeled after a U-99) during WWII. The masterpiece directed by Wolfgang Petersen, and starring Jurgen Prochnow, rates among the best films of all time.

The Bounty (1984)

The story of British Lieutenant William Bligh, played by Anthony Hopkins, is a true story based on a mutiny that occurred on the ship Bounty, an English full-masted tall ship sent on a mission from Great Britain to Tahiti to then deliver seeds to the Caribbean for colonization purposes.

Crimson Tide (1995)

This modern-day submariners’ tale takes place aboard the USS Alabama, a real Ohio-class nuclear-powered submarine designed to launch nuclear-tipped warheads in the event of nuclear threat. The film, starring Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman, was filmed using interior mock-ups of the highly classified vessel.

White Squall (1996)

Hearkening back to the film Sea Hawk only in name, this film fictionalized the story of the real schooner Albatross that sank in 1961, with the loss of a total of eight crew and passengers. The ship used in the film is the Eye of the Wind, a top-sail schooner built in 1911.

Amistad (1997)

The film is based on a mutiny that occurred on a slave ship of the same name (the schooner La Amistad) that occurred in 1839 on its way from Africa to the United States. The film received critical acclaim and is noted for its impact on race relations in America.

Titanic (1997)

Rose DeWitt Bukater, at the time a 100-year-old survivor, featured in the retelling of the tragic sinking of the Titanic – the largest cruise vessel of its time. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet captured the hearts of teen girls and their moms with a fictional romance that took place during the Titanic’s fateful sinking in 1912.

The Perfect Storm (2000)

The story of the Andrea Gail is the true-life tale of a 70-foot Gloucester swordfish boat lost off of the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. The film starred George Clooney as the Captain of a trolling vessel, and captivated audiences with a glimpse of what it is like to work at sea.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Historians praise this cinematic venture into the Napoleonic Wars. The HMS Surprise, chosen in the story to fulfill the role of Britain’s Royal Navy, was commanded by Russell Crowe as “Captain Jack Aubrey” to prevent Napoleon’s expansion by destroying the French ship Acheron.

Tagged as: nautical films, nautical moels, top 10 nautical films

Tank
16th December 2012, 12:42 AM
Captain Hornblower with Gregory Peck and the Hornblower series that was on TV, Moby Dick, Gregory Peck again and a newer version with (I think) Patrick Stewart.
Also a good one with Alec Guiness, I think it was called In Which We Serve, about the British naval mutinies at the Nore and Spithead. If you can download the TV series of Hornblower, that will keep you busy for weeks, almost forgot, The Cruel Sea. Regards Frank.

Eevo
16th December 2012, 12:57 AM
Capt. Jack Aubrey: To wives and sweethearts.
Officers: To wives and sweethearts!
Capt. Jack Aubrey: May they never meet.

Long we've tossed on the rolling main
now we're save ashore, Jack
don't forget your old shipmate
fal dee ral dee ral dee rye eye doe

Eevo
16th December 2012, 12:59 AM
If you can download the TV series of Hornblower,

if anyone wants this, let me know, i'll make it available for download.

edit: i was bored n set it up

http://203.122.220.188/

you will find 6 eps here

zedcars
16th December 2012, 01:27 AM
Sleepy
I few years ago I was faced with something similar when my mum/dad came over for Christmas. They were in their 80's at the time, (both gone now)!
My dad was an ex soldier in WW2 --Paratrooper 6th airborne landed at D Day etc.etc

We had a few movies on hand to entertain etc. But I could tell he was getting a bit bored with the selection.

My eldest son Rhys who was sporting a Wales Rugby shirt Christams present with his name sake on it, produced a DVD, Wales versus the All Blacks !
Hey Grandad Harry, wanna watch this?

Wazzat? Upon seeing the title--I remember "uh now you are talking!"

With cans (tinneys) of Boddingtons and glasses we could have been at Cardiff Arms Park-----In Colorado:twisted:
Just a thought as a surprise alternative.
Merry Christmas
Dennis
zedcars

Pedro_The_Swift
16th December 2012, 07:04 AM
Capt. Jack Aubrey: To wives and sweethearts.
Officers: To wives and sweethearts!
Capt. Jack Aubrey: May they never meet.

Long we've tossed on the rolling main
now we're save ashore, Jack
don't forget your old shipmate
fal dee ral dee ral dee rye eye doe

OMG,, another Patrick Obrian Tragic,,,;):cool:

Vern
16th December 2012, 07:11 AM
X5 for 'Das Boot'

Tank
16th December 2012, 07:53 AM
OMG,, another Patrick Obrian Tragic,,,;):cool:
I'm a Patrick O'Brian tragic as well, over 20 fascinating books, PIA that he died while writing the last one, literally. C.S. Forresters Hornblower series, Julian Stockwin's Thomas Paine Kidd series of war at sea in sailing ships.
Alexander Kent with his Richard Bolitho series (around 24 books), and Richard Woodman's books of Nathaniel Drinkwaters adventures.
All of these books cover what I believe is the greatest stories ever told of War at sea between the British Navy and almost the rest of the World, fascinating true events of past Navies, suppose you could say I'm a Tragic, Regards Frank.

Pedro_The_Swift
16th December 2012, 08:34 AM
started on Forrester, moved on to Kent then Obrian,,
I've read all of Forresters, I have nearly all of Kents on my shelf, I think I'm missing around six Obrians.

Fullertons series about WW2 are good too,,

Brian Callison has a funny style,, but if you like the way he does it the series is very entertaining,,
Especially the Edward Trapp mini-series ;):lol2::lol2:

Tank
16th December 2012, 10:29 AM
Just Remembered another good Cold War sea movie called "The Bedford Incident" with Richard Widmark as the Commander of a guided missile Destroyer stalking a Russian Sub in the Arctic seas, Sidney Poitier is a guest Journalist/photographer aboard. An interesting, extremely entertaining, make you think film with great actors and action, Regards Frank.

Sleepy
16th December 2012, 02:49 PM
Is that Durbin as in Durban ? A long time since whaling was done, if he's South African how about something like "The God's must be crazy"

Yeah you right Durban (My ban! :lol2:).

Yes not a very PC occupation now! but he was a "Jaw Bone Cutter" and worked on the Factory whaling ships in the 50's out of Durban. He has that affinity for the ocean that I respect but never quite understand.

Yes "God's must be Crazy" - we've done that one already but it's on the list.

Sleepy
16th December 2012, 05:08 PM
Ok, this is great, thanks everyone. :BigThumb:

He is here for 3 weeks so it wont be just - watching movies.;) But it will be good to have something for when I get tired of entertaining;)

Good tip on the ferry ride - we might do the trip across to Queenscilffe.

We also have the "Polly Woodside" an old steel hulled sailing ship moored in central Melbourne - he goes there every time he visits us in Melbourne.

Anyone know if there are any other nautical ideas in Melbourne? (He's in his 80's so lets not get too adventurous. ;))

Great tip on the Rugby too. He is a Queenslander (ex South African) so loves his Rugby too.

Chops
16th December 2012, 05:53 PM
If your up for road trips, what about taking him down to Warnnanbool (?s). They've got the old "Port Village", not to mention the Great Ocean Road with all it's views and history. Possibly a bit far for just a day trip for someone of his age.
Other day trips could be Port Melbourne (Williamstown), and if your taking him on the ferry, Geelong is a great spot with good waterside attractions.
Heading south down towards Phillip Island and further, there's some awesome views to be had down that way too.

There are probably lots of other places too, others hopefully will throw up some more ideas.

oldsalt
16th December 2012, 07:50 PM
Catch one of the ferries that run from Southbank down to Williamstown, they go right through the Port of Melbourne area - you get to see all sorts of vessels up close.....and when you get to Willy the historical society is in the Information centre right in the park near where the ferrry stops - lots of nautical history in the Willy area.
cheers

akelly
19th December 2012, 07:22 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but a really great movie about the sea is 'Deep Water'. It's about the 1968 round the world solo yacht race (first one ever) and one of the competitors who loses his mind.

Deep Water (2006) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/)

It's a documentary but seriously, it's amazing. I have to confess that that particular yacht race is my special category for 'The Einstein Factor' (figuratively speaking), so perhaps I'm a little biased...:angel:

Cheers,

Adam

korg20000bc
19th December 2012, 10:15 PM
Try,
Above us the waves
Cockleshell heroes
The cruel sea
In which we serve

But for possibly the best , DAS BOOT, The Boat, about a German U-Boat. [ The Brits win in the end, should make him happy] Bob [ BTW Master & Commander is one of my favourite movies, they did their best to be historicaly correct. ] Bob
The Cruel Sea- one of the best
You could also look at the documentary series done not long after WWII- Victory at Sea. Pretty good, that.

And, whatever you show him, make sure he sees this:
Around Cape Horn - Irving Johnson 1929 Peking Footage - YouTube

poleonpom
19th December 2012, 10:26 PM
Das Boot is excellent, Riddle of the Sands is old fashioned sailing/espionage at its best, Moby Dick the Gregory Peck version, the complete Hornblower, Mr Roberts, Convoy, Battle of the Midway...

Sent from my WM8850-mid using Tapatalk 2

d@rk51d3
20th December 2012, 08:33 AM
Das Boot is one of my faves.

Can be a long sit, depending on the version you get. :cool:

ugu80
21st December 2012, 04:28 PM
How about the 1963 Napoleonic war classic: CARRY ON JACK

disco2_dan
21st December 2012, 05:17 PM
Water world with Kevin Costner lol

Eevo
21st December 2012, 05:20 PM
Water world with Kevin Costner lol
no!

disco2_dan
21st December 2012, 05:43 PM
no!

Shhhhh, don't spoil it for him!!! Let the movie do that!! It's just like mad max but on water!!! Gotta watch it

Chops
2nd January 2013, 08:59 PM
How's it goin with your visitors Sleepy.

Keeping him entertained with some of the ideas forwarded.