PDA

View Full Version : D2 traction control VS CDL being locked video

FiveSPDDisco
6th January 2013, 04:48 AM
There's always a lot of questions when you talk about the center diff lock. Especially on the discovery 2. To make matters worse there is a lot of crazy information on the web. I hope this quick video will help clear up some of the confusion and miss-information. Enjoy.

Land Rover Discover CDL test - YouTube

wardy1
6th January 2013, 02:54 PM
Good demo.

Just looking at those recovery points....... not a good idea in an airbag vehicle me thinks!:nazilock:

ozscott
6th January 2013, 06:50 PM
I'm all for CDL having retrofitted one. But the video is rubbish. The etc will not transfer drive at or barely above idle as was occurring. If he uses the same amount of throttle first time as he did with the second attempt with the CDL locked the ETC would have transferred drive and got him up.

Cheers

TD50WA
6th January 2013, 07:19 PM
Good demo.

Just looking at those recovery points....... not a good idea in an airbag vehicle me thinks!:nazilock:

I don't think the US has the same rules regarding airbag compliance....
I also spoke to ARB and asked about the recovery points on their bars, the built in ones. I asked are they good for winching and/or snatching? Or are they just for light work considering they are on an airbag bar.

The bloke I spoke too said he had a Disco himself and their bars are designed as winch bars and therefore safe to recover from, in the case of snatching, use a bridle to distribute the forces.
So those ones in the demo should be ok as well......

Cheers
Kev

ozscott
6th January 2013, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't. All oz ones are attached to the chassis via sections that replace and are similar to the LR crush cans. They would stretch under heavy pulling... That's why people sell recovery points that are massively strong and attach aft of the crush sections/cans.

Cheers

TD50WA
6th January 2013, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't. All oz ones are attached to the chassis via sections that replace and are similar to the LR crush cans. They would stretch under heavy pulling... That's why people sell recovery points that are massively strong and attach aft of the crush sections/cans.

Cheers

I raised this with ARB and they said the forces required to stretch them are far greater than can be generated by recovery, the bars and mounts are designed for recovery purposes.....but it was suggested that if snatching was going to be a frequent event, then they have other recovery points they sell that would be more appropriate, but then went on to reaffirm that the bars ARE designed to cope with recovery, hence the internal winch box and not a separate one bolted to the chassis....this was at the Perth 4wd show.

Sorry for the hijack fellas, mods, maybe you could move if required?

ozscott
6th January 2013, 09:13 PM
Kev you would probably get away with it more times than not, but I wouldn't. I like the recovery points to be chassis-strong. Having said that many sand recoveries are not too bad, but depends on load, trailers etc. Sunk deep in clinging mud might be different...

Cheers

TD50WA
6th January 2013, 09:37 PM
Kev you would probably get away with it more times than not, but I wouldn't. I like the recovery points to be chassis-strong. Having said that many sand recoveries are not too bad, but depends on load, trailers etc. Sunk deep in clinging mud might be different...

Cheers

Yep, I try not to get stuck in the first place. This is the first ARB bar I have owned, and again I point out that the winch is in the bar so that is already pulling on the cans.
I am not an engineer, but if the built in recovery points were not strong enough, then ARB would have long removed them to avoid legal liability, instead they promote they are ok. This particular bar model has been around since 99 and any issues would have surfaced and been rectified.
I too, am going to invest in some other stronger points, just for extra safety, but if you don't trust the points, why do you trust the winch?... Considering where it is mounted in all ARB bars.

Cheers

ozscott
7th January 2013, 07:54 AM
Know what your saying mate. Apart from better approach angle that why I bought the TJM bar 9 years ago, the winch bolts to the chassis rails in their winch bar. The bar itself is strong too although some on here say that the ARB might be a tad stronger on frontal impact due to extra we support on the hoops. But from memory the weight was very similar and the steel was the same guage.

Cheers

d2dave
28th May 2013, 09:07 PM
Know what your saying mate. Apart from better approach angle that why I bought the TJM bar 9 years ago, the winch bolts to the chassis rails in their winch bar. The bar itself is strong too although some on here say that the ARB might be a tad stronger on frontal impact due to extra we support on the hoops. But from memory the weight was very similar and the steel was the same guage.

Cheers

The winch on my SRS equipped D1 is mounted to the chassis. It cannot be mounted to the bar. Bar is ARB.