PDA

View Full Version : Four cylinder motor options

mick88
17th January 2013, 01:17 PM
I am looking for some information about fitting a four cylinder petrol into a swb series vehicle. Has anyone done or know of any suitable engines to use. I am considering one of the nissan or toyota engines, preferably a reasonably later model, maybe mid nineties on. One that has crossed my mind is a 2.4 litre nissan engine that was in the navara utes. I want to use a four cylinder so there is plenty of room to work with and room for a decent radiator so as to avoid any cooling issues.
It's just a project I have been pondering on for a while!
Any information appreciated.

Cheers, Mick.

Blknight.aus
17th January 2013, 05:22 PM
ummm didnt they come with a 2.25l petrol?

rovercare
17th January 2013, 05:43 PM
ummm didnt they come with a 2.25l petrol?

I think he means a good one:D

pop058
17th January 2013, 06:12 PM
Put one of them turbo Volvo things in.:o It certainly gets the old tractors moving :D

Tractor - the engine of the Volvo 240 turbo /

robbotd5
17th January 2013, 06:27 PM
Put one of them turbo Volvo things in.:o It certainly gets the old tractors moving :D

Tractor - the engine of the Volvo 240 turbo / (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBy92fTXsg)

Yes the Volvo B230FT turbo is a potent bit of kit. But I was thinking of the B20. A 2L 4 cylinder Volvo engine that is dead simple, powerful, unbreakable and if looked after will run forever. Think twin SU's and pushrods and a lot better than one of those Nisyota things!!!
Regards
Robbo

bee utey
17th January 2013, 06:32 PM
If I had to pick a modern motor it would be a Toyota 22R (2.4 litre) SOHC carburettor engine, ex Hilux, Hiace and Coaster. Very long lived and reasonably torquey. Chain driven cam so no rubber band to break. Traditional adjustable tappets.

mick88
17th January 2013, 07:57 PM
What era are you talking bee utey and what model Hi Lux?
I want something that produces a few kilowatts and likes revs.
Not interested in a turbo engine. I don't want to flog it, just want something that will scoot along at 100 without shortening it's life!

Cheers, Mick.

Bigbjorn
17th January 2013, 08:01 PM
Yes the Volvo B230FT turbo is a potent bit of kit. But I was thinking of the B20. A 2L 4 cylinder Volvo engine that is dead simple, powerful, unbreakable and if looked after will run forever. Think twin SU's and pushrods and a lot better than one of those Nisyota things!!!
Regards
Robbo

A B20E (fuel injected engine) but with twin SU carbs and a decent extractor exhaust system. The E engine has bigger valves and higher compression. Good little tractor. My daughter's first car was a 144 auto with a single Stromberg CD carb. Best starting petrol engined car we had ever had up to then. Always started quickly first hit. I bought another for spare parts which had a B20E and got the twin SU's and manifold for $40 at a swap meet and stuck the lot in.

bee utey
17th January 2013, 09:48 PM
What era are you talking bee utey and what model Hi Lux?
I want something that produces a few kilowatts and likes revs.
Not interested in a turbo engine. I don't want to flog it, just want something that will scoot along at 100 without shortening it's life!

Cheers, Mick.
The local glazier has a 2wd Hilux with one, circa 1994. Most of its travel is up and down the hilly freeway near Adelaide. It has over 360,000km on the original engine and survives with very occasional servicing (usually by me) and runs on LPG 99% of the time. All the other utes he has had over the last 20 years have regular engine failures before they are gotten rid of. V6 Dunny doors, V6 Rodeos, 2.4 Navaras, 2.7 Hiluxes, WB Holdens, all died long before and the 22R soldiers on. Not rapid but adequate performance and revs. It is a commercial engine after all.

Of course if you want to install an EFI engine that's a whole new ball game, and there would be a few choices you could make but none that I would call super reliable in a hard working 4wd vehicle. It depends on your budget and enthusiasm, I suppose.

Blknight.aus
17th January 2013, 11:19 PM
I think he means a good one:D

that is a good one...

lasts for ever, doesnt need a huge amount of maintenance, simple to work on when it does, nice low fat torque curve, perfect for the vehicle it was put into.

Series3 GT
18th January 2013, 01:27 AM
The 4cyl idea is good if your not power hungry and want a efficient motor just to get you around, you don't need to worry about cooling and the gearbox and diffs/axles won't be to affected. Avoid the 2.7 Hilux motor, they have no torque what so ever at low revs. A mates got one (fairly new) and it won't pull from low revs what so ever. The 2.4 isn't a bad motor for a Toyota engine, they pull ok if you get a 70's, 80's one (I think they still had them in the 80's?) I've driven a 60's Hilux and it struggles in anything over 2nd gear even when you rev the hell out of it (could be age). The Volvo could be interesting, they run fairly well and push a heavy Volvo along at a decent speed.

robbotd5
18th January 2013, 06:31 PM
At one stage a few years ago, I was toying with the idea of an 88" project. I was going to rescue one and customize it a little. The engine I had in mind was the Volvo B18/20. The engine is nothing out of the ordinary, what makes it great is the engineering. Massive, for an engine of this size big end bearings (5) excellent thermal efficiency and quality materials that add up to a smooth, torquey, and long lived engine that responds well to tuning with single, duel carbies. The highest car milage in the guiness book of records is held by a 1966 Volvo 1800S. Original engine (rebuilt twice) ridgy g/box and diff. 3 million miles on a B18. Good enough for me. These engines I have seen in MGB's and perform very well indeed. You just CAN NOT put a toymotor in it!!!!

Regards
Robbo

Series3 GT
19th January 2013, 01:08 AM
just CAN NOT put a toymotor in it!!!!
Agreed, I'll put Nissan Patrol bits in my Landy but never Toymotor bits, It's just not right. People will go on and on saying that Toymotor parts will make your Landy better but they're no better than Landy parts really, Toymotor front axles do CV's every 5 minutes, they blow diffs quite easily and they bust gearboxes and t/cases quite a bit as well. If you want to upgrade your landy get Patrol parts, Have you seen the size of they're gearboxes, t/cases and diffs. They're huge! I think the 2.25 makes sense cause it was made for that vehicle but may not be as powerful as a Volvo motor but good enough if you upgrade them with a few bolt on mods like extractors, carbie upgrade, Electronic ignition and stuff like that, a supercharger would be good fun.

theMISSIONARY
21st March 2013, 10:00 PM
i always thought a 2.6 Astron engine would go well in a Landy :o

mick88
22nd March 2013, 10:16 AM

I assume you mean the Mitsubishi Sigma motor, if so I have often thought they would be a good conversion too! The other options I have thought about are the Nissan four cylinder petrols from the 70's and 80's such as 180B and 200B, however they are getting very old now and to find one with a good head would be hard I think. They were good motors, went well and loved revs.

Cheers Mick.

bee utey
22nd March 2013, 10:30 AM
I'm NOT a fan of Astron engines. These things are stock in early Pajeros and were often retrofitted to L300 4WD vans. High fuel usage and relatively poor durability. I've seen plenty fail at around 80,000km from new, rattly timing chains from 40,000km.

Sideroad
22nd March 2013, 11:05 AM
I'm NOT a fan of Astron engines. These things are stock in early Pajeros and were often retrofitted to L300 4WD vans. High fuel usage and relatively poor durability. I've seen plenty fail at around 80,000km from new, rattly timing chains from 40,000km.
I agree with the high fuel usage, though my '86 pajero is over the 500k and still going strong, just under powered. One of the most reliable vehicles I have had.
I would not bother converting any 4x4 to the 2.6, not worth the effort for the low power/torque.

theMISSIONARY
22nd March 2013, 05:13 PM

i had one in a courier(the 87-88 models had the 4G56) and it was not that bad on fuel if you gave it heaps it used heaps like any engine will mine lasted well with over 300000km with only one rebuild early on(less than 100000km)
i would say they had issues from factory

once you put them into the L300 unless you do some real work they will play up all the time mostly radiator and heat related issues

theMISSIONARY
22nd March 2013, 05:15 PM
I agree with the high fuel usage, though my '86 pajero is over the 500k and still going strong, just under powered. One of the most reliable vehicles I have had.
I would not bother converting any 4x4 to the 2.6, not worth the effort for the low power/torque.

umm compared to the 2.25......:Rolling: