PDA

View Full Version : Gotta keg system for chrissy

Aussie
18th January 2013, 04:06 PM
The mrs and kids chipped in and bought me a keg system, I picked up a small fridge off eBay for 60 bucks and made myself a keganator. I kegged an American pale ale yesterday and gassed it up. I gotta say I am very happy with the results, the beer is wonderful and the best part no more washing bottles!!!!

jazzaD1
18th January 2013, 04:49 PM
having a keg system is great, although now there are no empty bottles to track your progress!

Aussie
19th January 2013, 03:09 PM
Yep good point, I decided to bottle approx 6 long necks and put into storage, one of the biggest issues I have is being to impatient and never letting the beer age properly, it makes such a huge difference to every part of the beer.

Aussie
22nd January 2013, 01:03 PM
I got 2 new 10L party kegs, and I'm shocked at how quickly they become empty, I only gassed them up the other day, friggin gone already!!!. Oh well at least I don't have to wait long for my next brew to be ready transferring it to the kegs now.

LandyAndy
27th January 2013, 04:23 PM
I run 6x18l kegs,its the only way I can age them slightly.
Seem to put 2 brews on most weekends:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Andrew

Redback
31st January 2013, 02:42 PM
I got 2 new 10L party kegs, and I'm shocked at how quickly they become empty, I only gassed them up the other day, friggin gone already!!!. Oh well at least I don't have to wait long for my next brew to be ready transferring it to the kegs now.

Hahahahaha:beer:

dkaos
6th February 2013, 07:51 PM
Are you guys brewing with Kits or All Grain? I started with kits then went to all grain, now I'm back to kits and bits, (steeping grain and mini hop boils).

The best thing about having a keg system is the Mrs isn't complaining about bottles being left everywhere!

Clint

jazzaD1
6th February 2013, 07:58 PM
i brew all grain, but its on hold at the moment, until the waistline recovers!

LandyAndy
6th February 2013, 08:12 PM
Kits for me.
Easy peasy/cheap/quick to brew and easy to obtain,my local general store stocks my favorites for me.
A mate went grains and bottling,rekon my kits/kegging tasted nicer.I bet grains and kegging produce really good beer.Come winter time I usually do several steeped stout kits,they still use a concentrate can.Love them,just about need to chew the brew before you swallow.
Andrew

Aussie
7th February 2013, 11:24 AM
I use good quality kits, although the last ale I made was grains, I buy a 17ltr "cube" from my local home brew shop, he sells to his regulars. It's a fantastic drop.

dkaos
7th February 2013, 08:51 PM
Is that from Grain and Grape Aussie?

I bought a couple of FWK's from ESB in Sydney and they turned out to be pretty average. Might have been the dry yeast they supply..

Aussie
7th February 2013, 11:22 PM
No not from there

jazzaD1
7th February 2013, 11:52 PM
20l Stovetop All Grain Aussie Lager - Partial Mash Brewing - Aussie Home Brewer (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/44264-20l-stovetop-all-grain-aussie-lager/)

This is the method i used to get into all grain brewing, the bulk of the equipment cost is 2 19L stainless pots from big W = about $30

I bought 25kg of joe white ale malt and got grain and grape to crush it and divide into 5kg bags for me

Aussie
9th February 2013, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't mind trying that, he seems abit anal about having a crystal clear beer, I don't care if its a tad cloudy. I'll have to study it in depth then try it,

dkaos
9th February 2013, 09:32 PM
I learnt from Nick JD as well, a lot of people on AHB are fussy about crystal clear beer. I was making awesome beer and it wasn't clear. Just the fact that you control it all the way makes it taste amazing.

jazzaD1
11th February 2013, 07:01 PM
i don't worry about how clear my beer is either, although i'd like to try adding gelatine to the keg one day

using this method, i finally made a beer that my girlfriend actually enjoyed

it was a A SMASH (Single Malt And Single Hop) using Joe White ale malt and Cascade hops, she was never convinced with my kit beers

Aussie
11th February 2013, 10:31 PM
I have a similar dilemma of trying to brew a beer that my father in law will like. He's a vic bitter drinker for 50 years very set in his ways but I am determined to brew an ale that he would like. He's hated every brew I've made so far. I'm not really sure why I want to make a beer that he likes...hahaha yeah dunno I guess I see his manky 50 year old pallet as a challenge.

The last 2 brews I've made have been fantastic. My plan is working in that I drink the keg first which allows me to age the beer in the bottles. I took 3 bottles of APA to dinner last week they had been in the cellar brewing for approx 6 weeks and they were brilliant. I also have a pilsner which is about 4 weeks old and it's the first beer that the mrs actually likes, pretty happy about that.

jazzaD1
11th February 2013, 10:54 PM
i've found that people are hesitant to like beers that are 'too hoppy' etc, they might not be extreme for your tastes but it is hard to convince people that aren't used to something different

me personally, i bought 3 1/2lbs of hops from the US (way cheaper than homebrew shops) and use a heap of them in my brews, because i have an open mind about different beer types, most people don't although it is changing

as for your father in law, something with pride of ringwood hops would be the way to go, as it is the hop used in most of the big name aussie beers, the recipe in the link i posted for the beginner all grain brew is close, but i didn't add sugar to the recipe and i think it needs it to become closer to the real thing, to take a bit of body out of the beer and bring the alcohol level up a touch

all this talk makes me want to fire up the stove and get another brew down, but i'm on a self imposed ban for the next few months at least!

Sitec
19th February 2013, 06:23 PM
The father in law prob loves your beers, but would never let u know as you're his son in law!!!! I have a wife who loves my beers... She bought me the kit, trouble is, working fifo I get home to try the last few bottles of the last brew! Happy wife though so not all bad!! :)

Aussie
22nd February 2013, 05:25 PM
The father in law prob loves your beers, but would never let u know as you're his son in law!!!!

you know i wish you were right, I use alot of hops which he doesn't really like. I've been experimenting lately with some can extracts and made a receipe for a really nice bitter. I toned down the hops in this one.

I'll post up the recipe tomorrow once i have been back to the brewing shop and costed the ingredients.

Andy_Chil
2nd March 2013, 08:34 AM
I brew ESB American Pale from the 3kg tins. With a handful of extra cascade hops, this stuff is the best homebrew kit iI have ever used. I have tried the ESB fresh kits and have had simular average results. Keging has rekindled by intrest.

Aussie
2nd March 2013, 09:58 AM
3KG tins thats a mofo size can, i wonder where i can buy them from?

Andy_Chil
3rd March 2013, 03:55 PM
3KG tins thats a mofo size can, i wonder where i can buy them from?

I get from Brewers Den in Boronia and they are also available on the ESB website. I find there are only a handful of brew shops that sell this brand. They are mostly the independent guys who really know their onions.

LandyAndy
3rd March 2013, 06:53 PM
Andy with a 3kg do you still need to add sugars to the brew???? I suspect it produces a strong brew if you do.
Andrew

Aussie
6th March 2013, 02:29 AM
Well the Aussie brewing lab has closed its doors for the next week or maybe 2, how the hell I can brew a batch with 8+ days over 30C. My thermometer is reading 25C under the stairs as I type this and its 3:30am.

Andy_Chil
7th March 2013, 08:10 PM
Andy with a 3kg do you still need to add sugars to the brew???? I suspect it produces a strong brew if you do.
Andrew

Hi Landy, No the the ESB 3kg kits do not require any sugar. I think that's why they taste so good. They seem not to have that typical kit home brew taste that I'm sure comes from adding sugar to beer. Some of them like the Czech Pills can do with a bit of additional light malt and crystal malt. Any home brew can benefit from a little extra hopping also me thinks.

Aussie
9th March 2013, 05:35 PM
Any home brew can benefit from a little extra hopping also me thinks.

Yep for sure. I've been using northern brewer hops with a can of Australian bitter extract, approx 20g plus some light malt. Costs me approx 30 dollars and result was really good but I did need to leave it for about 6 weeks to mature.

jazzaD1
9th March 2013, 08:45 PM
mmm nothern brewer!:beer:

i think i've still got 150+ grams left of them, and heaps of others from my US order, its the cheapest way to go

Aussie
6th May 2013, 08:43 PM
Well after making quite a few brews using the Keg, I can see why you all rave about them. I've just put an Irish stout through it and after gassing it up on the Thursday I took the Keg over to a mates place and we drank the whole lot on Saturday nite it was truly fantastic better than I thought you could achieve using a can. ( i used one of those little canisters to keep the keg gassed up throughout the night and it was great)

I also used a bag of Brewing enhancer, consisting of hops,light and dark malt. I strained it through some panty hose then squashed all the remaining goodness into the fermenter. I think that's one of the reasons this one came out much nicer, I didn't get all that stuff out of the previous Stout I made. Another thing I noticed was the amount of extra head that was present. I think the next time I might not gas it up as much. I've attached a pic of the dearly departed Brew, then tomorrow morning I'm off to the Brew shop to get another one :)

LandyAndy
7th May 2013, 06:03 PM
YOUR HOOKED:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
Andrew

Aussie
8th May 2013, 08:44 PM
YOUR HOOKED

I am indeed, one question I have. For all you Keg men, what do you do when you want goto a party or say camping, do you take the keg? Or do you keep some bottles and take them? I would like to do away with bottles and just use the kegs. I have the little gassing thingo which works well and was thinking of making an "Eskynator". Buying a tap and fitting it too an Esky which is big enough to hold one 10L keg.

Andy_Chil
8th May 2013, 09:28 PM
The corny kegs are 19 litres and my normal brew is 22litres so I always bottle 4 king browns for camping/parties. Bit of a pain but easier than trying to drag kegs and gas about the place.

LandyAndy
9th May 2013, 08:01 PM
For extended times away from my kegs,I buy real beer,upmarket rather than standard beers.
For a nite out at a party,get 2l Coke bottles and fill from the tap,put a bit extra gas in.By time you get thru a few 2L bottles doesnt matter if they are a little flat;);););););););)
They do foam up,its ok just fill a couple extra to compensate for the volume left;);););););)
Andrew