PDA

View Full Version : RRS Rubbish off-road?

Rohan
28th January 2013, 07:18 PM
Nope. It's excellent!

Just spent the day playing on the tracks around Callignee, Churchill, Mount Tassie. What a great day & what a great vehicle!!!!!!
A couple of small creek crossings, rock steps. Dirt tracks. Ruts. Rocky climbs. What a blast!
Was out with my cousin who was in her GU Patrol, have to say, apart from the suspension tricks and Terrain Response, the trucks were pretty evenly matched. Hers had a 2" lift, mine has GOE's rods :D
The Bridgestone D697's were great too, very impressed with them on and off road (so far).

Runnadude
28th January 2013, 07:57 PM
That is one hell of a nice rig :)

DoctorJ
28th January 2013, 08:16 PM
I do want to see that RRS in action let us know the next time your heading out and I'll swing by and go for a run

Cheers
Julian

Rohan
28th January 2013, 08:23 PM
No problem! Probably heading out for a few days labour day weekend (to anywhere that's not on fire!!!)
Should have most of the scratches polished out by then too :wasntme:

camel_landy
29th January 2013, 05:33 AM
As the RRS is based on the T5 platform, it is a cracker off-road.

The only thing to look out for are the trim panels at the bottom of the doors. They will take a bit of a battering but if they do pop off, try not to run them over as they're quite easy to re-attach. ;)

M

Rohan
29th January 2013, 06:27 AM
The rock sliders/side steps should help avoid that :)

camel_landy
29th January 2013, 07:58 AM
The rock sliders/side steps should help avoid that :)
Nah... They just trash the chassis when you rip them off.

M

kaz11
29th January 2013, 10:43 AM
Very nice!

We loved taking our Sport off road as well, and we gave up trying to polish scratches out a long time ago.

They go pretty much anywhere (we've tried), and in comfort too:D

I also have to second the point about the trim and bumper etc... being able to just pop back on again. Ours is missing a few bits of trim now, but nearly every piece has at some stage been ripped off and popped back into position.

We've actually got footage of it in a couple of our Wallaroo videos.

Bumper comes away around the 9 minute mark and pushes back on: Land Rovers vs Wallaroo Offroad - YouTube

Bumpers rip off both the D2 and the RRS from around the 1:45 minute mark (the D4 has a steel? bumper), and Jamie shows how to re-attach the Sport's: Wallaroo Part IV: Land Rover extreme offroad test - YouTube

Since buying a Defender as well, the RRS doesn't get much of a run anymore, but you've just inspired me to get her out on the tracks again soon:D

Karen

kaz11
29th January 2013, 10:46 AM
camel_landy, re: the rock sliders trashing the chassis, did you have this happen to you or someone you know?

We were thinking of putting some on our Sport.

Karen

Rohan
29th January 2013, 12:03 PM
The sliders don't attach to the chassis, only to the body. Gordon's web site is a good point of reference greenovalexperience.com I think. Will have to watch the vids later on the PC :)

camel_landy
29th January 2013, 10:14 PM
Unless the steps have been specifically designed to take the weight of the car and not snag when off road, they will just get ripped off if you get it caught on something. This will lead to damage of where ever it is mounted, be it body or chassis.

M

isuzurover
29th January 2013, 10:29 PM
Unless the steps have been specifically designed to take the weight of the car and not snag when off road, they will just get ripped off if you get it caught on something. This will lead to damage of where ever it is mounted, be it body or chassis.

M

Do a search on here - plenty of people have used Gordon's sliders in anger, including Gordon (gghaggis).

TerryO
30th January 2013, 05:55 AM

M

Not sure what your on about here Camel Landy and while I have a D3 and not a RRS, the concept of rock sliders and where they bolt on I'd guess is pretty much the same. Having used rock sliders in anger I would never go properly off road without them.

Rock sliders are not steps and while you can use them as a step the construction is much different,personally having looked at LR steps, I would consider them as a liability off road whereas rock sliders are a definite asset.

Cheers,
Terry

ozscott
30th January 2013, 05:57 AM
Good vid. Nice to see the stock height d2 bulldozing a path and reducing the step angle and height for the others!

Cheers

camel_landy
30th January 2013, 09:01 AM
Rock sliders are not steps and while you can use them as a step the construction is much different,personally having looked at LR steps, I would consider them as a liability off road whereas rock sliders are a definite asset.

Which is basically what I'm trying to say...

i.e. Although you can stand on both, rock sliders are designed to take a battering off-road where as steps aren't.

M

streaky
31st January 2013, 12:44 AM
What size rims and rubber is the Sport running? Also...does it have the Brembo brake calipers?
I'd like to get a set of spare wheels for my RRS SC but it has the Brembo brakes and I'm not sure anything other than 20's will fit?

Watching that Sport has inspired me to get mine grubby at least!

Thx.

camel_landy
31st January 2013, 07:03 AM
What size rims and rubber is the Sport running? Also...does it have the Brembo brake calipers?
I'd like to get a set of spare wheels for my RRS SC but it has the Brembo brakes and I'm not sure anything other than 20's will fit?

Watching that Sport has inspired me to get mine grubby at least!

Thx.

You can fit 19" rims over the Brembos but there are only 2x styles which fit. Also, just to confuse matters further, you can't just go on the style of rim as one of the styles has 3x different sizes. You need to be careful and check the part numbers.

IIRC - The part numbers you need are: RRC502280xxx and RRC505370xxx

M

DiscoWeb
31st January 2013, 08:00 AM
Which is basically what I'm trying to say...

i.e. Although you can stand on both, rock sliders are designed to take a battering off-road where as steps aren't.

M

And that is the point.

If you put the standard "step" style things on these can get damaged off road and often reduce the vehicles ramp over clearance anyway. Great for car parks and helping granny into the car, useless off road.

Properly designed rock sliders are much tougher and designed to take a hit and less likely to limit the ramp over clearance if well designed.

I have a set of sliders, designed and manufactured by Brad (Disco3Qld) and whilst I have yet to really test them they do give greater confidence when off road.

If you use it off road get a decent set of sliders and you will save the sills and the trip from a bettering.

My only caveat to this is I am not sure about them being such an easy install for the RRS, certainly simple on the D3 and D4.

George.

connock
31st January 2013, 08:38 AM
Great vids noticed the D2 had the water cooled filement globes in the headlights :p looked like eveyone had fun but didnt notice a stubbie in anyones hands:angel:

Rohan
31st January 2013, 05:13 PM
Got sent this video of Monday's trip, 2 apologies, 1 it's not very long, 2 my ugly mug at the end:o

DoctorJ
31st January 2013, 05:19 PM
I've seen Rohan's steps and they are fully blown rock sliders, no chance of these getting ripped off. You may need to get a photo up Rohan and maybe organize a cut off the guy who makes them, he might just get an influx of RRS in! Lol

Cheers
Julian

CSBrisie
31st January 2013, 05:22 PM
I note from the earlier video (grey D4 and RRS) a Range Rover and a Hungarian Vizsla...u r clearly a man of great taste!!!!!!! (we only have a Land Rover but we do have the Vizsla too!)

Rohan
31st January 2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks Julian.
There's already a thread up with photos of the sliders. Search "Barred up" on here:eek: no good pics of underneath, I'll have to get her up on a lift.