PDA

View Full Version : Old Series Tyres

gromit
3rd February 2013, 10:31 AM
I've been having a cleanup and it's time for me to dispose of a few tyres.
It seems a shame to dump them (local tip wants $20 each and council will only collect car tyres not 4WD/commercial).
Every time I get a vehicle to part out I add to the collection, SWMBO wants them gone.........

Most are long past their use-by-date but there are a couple that might help someone out.

Two are Bandag 7.00 x 16 cold retreads, one has a 'speed limited' number on it. Probably not suitable for a road vehicle althought I drove my 86" home on them a few years ago.

Then there are two that have nearly full tread, I'd be happy to swap for a good 7.00x16 Dunlop RTM.
One Yokohama Multi Commercial 7.00 x 16 6-ply which is hardly worn but old.
One Dunlop Universal (bar tread) 7.00 x 16 6-ply which is hardly worn, this is still on a rim at the moment.

Anyone know of a cheap disposal point for tyres in Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs ??

Colin

jazzaD1
3rd February 2013, 10:59 AM
you could buy a cheap 'sawzall' reciprocating saw and cut the tyres up and put them in your household bin, much cheaper than $20 per tyre!

chazza
3rd February 2013, 11:07 AM
you could buy a cheap 'sawzall' reciprocating saw and cut the tyres up and put them in your household bin, much cheaper than $20 per tyre!

Will the saw cut through the wires in the bead? I have lost count of the number of metalwork tools I have blunted on the bead. Cutting with a grinder is a bit nasty because the rubber can pinch the blade,

Cheers Charlie

Tombie
3rd February 2013, 11:41 AM

And then into a landfill - way to go :twisted:

Disposed of tyres in Aus are shredded and used for other construction materials... Throwing them in general waste is irresponsible - and illegal.

Many trucks now have cameras and record the waste being dumped.
You can (and should) be fined for dumping in household waste:
- Tyres
- Lead Acid Batteries
- Engine Oils etc
- Asbestos based material

Most tyre shops I've spoken to will take them for disposal at about $10.00 each.

gromit
4th February 2013, 01:14 PM
I got 4 s/h tyres from a place in Dandenong today. I took in 4 bare rims and 4 rims with very, very old retreads fitted. They happily removed the tyres and gave me the rims back then fitted the s/h tyres to the bare rims.

They accept tyres for disposal, car $4 and 4WD $7 which is cheaper than the local tip. I'm not sure if they'll take them off the rim for $7 though :D

Colin

Chris72
5th February 2013, 02:38 PM
Sometimes farmers will take old tyres and use them to hold down the covers on there silage heaps, I've used them to grow spuds in, each time the plants grow above the top of the tyre you put another 1 on top and fill with hay, also they could be handy for resting the landy body on while your working on the chassis.

Cheers Chris

gromit
5th February 2013, 03:11 PM
Sometimes farmers will take old tyres and use them to hold down the covers on there silage heaps, I've used them to grow spuds in, each time the plants grow above the top of the tyre you put another 1 on top and fill with hay, also they could be handy for resting the landy body on while your working on the chassis.

Cheers Chris

I've also used them in my trailer to support engines when transporting them.

Problem is that they seem to multiply. I have far more than I really need hence the need to cull a few.
I'll keep the good stock and let the ancient remoulds go for shredding. Then in a couple of years time I'll have to let the good stock go because they are all one-offs.......

Colin

uncadazza
5th February 2013, 05:22 PM
Cut em up an put in recycle bin?:p