PDA

View Full Version : Series starter motor

Timj
6th February 2013, 10:31 AM
I have a starter motor on a series 3 2.25 that spins fast but doesn't engage. It has recently been through some fairly deep water and mud. Would I be right in saying that the solenoid is ok since it spins but the starter motor is either rusted or mudded up to stop it throwing out into the ring gear?

Cheers,

TimJ.

Killer
6th February 2013, 11:48 AM
I think your diagnosis sounds correct to me Tim, pinion binding up on the screw.

Cheers, Mick.

JDNSW
6th February 2013, 12:03 PM
Yes, almost certainly. Remove the starter, and thoroughly clean the thread that moves the pinion into engagement - disassembly makes it easier, but may not be absolutely necessary. Do not oil or grease the assembly as it will collect dust and repeat the problem in a short period. I thoroughly lubricate them with powdered graphite.

The problem will be exacerbated if the starter is "slow off the mark" due to low voltage, whether it results from a sick battery or from a bad connection.

John

Timj
6th February 2013, 04:27 PM
Damn, I was sort of hoping I wasn't right :). That probably means taking the extractors off first, at least I have a flange at the front of the exhaust system now so it won't be as bad as it used to be. I don't think the starter will come out while they are there.

Cheers,

TimJ.