PDA

View Full Version : locking diff

martyn jones
13th February 2013, 06:51 AM
Hi all can any one tell me if a diff locker not a lsd can be fitted on a 101 axle I believe they are dana 60 axles

isuzutoo-eh
13th February 2013, 08:29 AM
I think 101 Ron has a Detroit locker in the back of his

101RRS
13th February 2013, 10:25 AM
The diffs are the Salisbury version of the Dana. They have larger diameter axles compared to the Defender Salisbury.

You can put a Detroit softlocker in the rear with no problems - there is a specific model for the 101 and is easy to fit and goes well.

No other locker is specifically designed to fit the 101.

I have an ARB air locker to go in later and Ron has one fitted to the front diff of his 101. The standard Defender Salisbury locker is the one you need HOWEVER the side gears that drive the axles are too small as the 101 axles are larger than the Defender. A local parts supplier had 10 sets of side gears made to fit the 101 axles and Ron and I purchased a set each - I am not sure if the seller has any left. As an alternative the original side gears can have the splines enlarged (broaching) to the 101 pattern but I do not know how successful this is and how strong the resulting gears are.

Garry

101 Ron
13th February 2013, 03:53 PM
The detroit locker works extremely well with a 101 landrover and improves off road performance greatly and turns a average off road vehicle into a very good one and due too the 101 having a constant 4wd system there is little or no draw backs on road too.
The 101 uses a 22 spline drive shaft which is a one off for 101 landrovers.
ARB air locker like garry said above can be fitted, but is alot of work to do so.
A series 3 109 inch wheel base salisbury ARB air locker is used and special side gears purchased, or the items supplied with the ARB locker machined/spark erroded with the larger 22 splines.
I believe the Detroit locker is no longer being made and existing stocks may have run out.
On the AULRO forum you should be able to find a thread called the good oil.
Both Garry and I have pics and a guide on how to go about fitting the Detroit and ARB lockers.
Also check out old threads under Forward controls and military landrovers.

Sitec
20th February 2013, 02:18 PM
Ran a Detroit in the rear of mine. With the 6 diesel up front, the rears were always off the ground! As Ron said, it transforms them. Be warned tho, once I stuck a hardtop on mine with spare wheel on the rear, I found that it would really grip going up steep banks, so much so the front wheels used to start dancing in the air! :p fun in a Defender/disco, just wrong in a 101!!!!